Comics Marvel: Then and Now with Lee and Quesada DVD

Donald Thomas

The Black ArachKnight
Reaction score
Aloha,
Here's something that sounds like it should really give some expert insight into MArvel comics.
MARVEL THEN AND NOW: An Evening with Stan Lee and Joe Quesada DVD
Recommended. Golden and Silver Age meets present day when Marvel icon Lee sits down for a chat with current Marvel editor-in-chief Quesada. Hosted by ubergeek Kevin Smith, this roundtable discussion leaves no corner of the Marvel universe unexposed. The past, the future, the fun and the biz are all discussed with startling honesty in this DVD which benefits the Hero Initiative, a charity for comic creators. Bonus features include interviews with Jeph Loeb and Brian Pulido, VIP room footage, photo gallery and more! Recorded Dec, 2006.
Marvel, 2007

DVD, 205min, pg, FC
I've ssen it for $29.95 at Bud Plant. Let's go bargin shopping.
Spidey rules

It's a puff piece, but I wish Smith would inform Lee ahead of time (as lee admittedly no longer reads the books) toa sk this:

LEE: So, you had Peter unmask himself willingly?
QUESADA: Well...yeay...y'know he is getting older and Iron Man told him to do it and we thought it'd be a new interesting way...
LEE: You pushed a storyline where Gwen Stacy had sex with Norman Osborn and hid having his illigetmate kids in London from Peter who grew up superfast to kill Peter?
QUESADA: Well it seemed like a good idea at the time...
LEE: You're erasing the Spider-marriage I manddated so Peter will be swinging like in the '80s again with no mmemory of the marriage or of MJ knowing he is Spidey and now she is a superhero?
QUESADA: It's new...it's fresh..it's...
LEE: I'm done.

Realistically Lee is doing it for the paychecka nd will stay statesmanlike and I doubt any of those three points will come up, but I"m sure Lee would be disgusted if he heard/read them. Especially the Sins past point would offend Lee, I think.

There's just no redemption for Quesada on those points. I TRULY have to fight hard not to wish ill things to happen to him.

It's a puff piece, but I wish Smith would inform Lee ahead of time (as lee admittedly no longer reads the books) toa sk this:

QUESADA: Well...yeay...y'know he is getting older and Iron Man told him to do it and we thought it'd be a new interesting way...
LEE: You pushed a storyline where Gwen Stacy had sex with Norman Osborn and hid having his illigetmate kids in London from Peter who grew up superfast to kill Peter?
LEE: You're erasing the Spider-marriage I manddated so Peter will be swinging like in the '80s again with no mmemory of the marriage or of MJ knowing he is Spidey and now she is a superhero?

Realistically Lee is doing it for the paychecka nd will stay statesmanlike and I doubt any of those three points will come up, but I"m sure Lee would be disgusted if he heard/read them. Especially the Sins past point would offend Lee, I think.

Wow. It amazes me that some people still think that Stan is "doing it for the paycheck" even after being awarded millions of dollars in his lawsuit against Marvel a few years ago. :yay:

Well, I don't think he's doing it for a paycheck. I think he learned some harsh lessons (in smaller, pre-internet scale) by saying things he really meant about Ditko and The KING years ago. "Wisdom" is simply the process of not repeating mistakes. So now he just smiles and goes on.

As a fan of the world that Stan, Jack and others created (that is now being RAPED) I'd certainly enjoy an exchange like the one highlighted above... but I know it won't happen. It should happen.

I'm disapointed in myself that I haven't heard about this for a whole year!
Why am I only finding out about this now!?

Aloha,
For me this DVD will really bring home my issue years ago on these threads" This is not your Father's Marvel Comic Books anymore". It will really be great to get insight into how Marvel was run as a business in Stan Lee's days as compared to Joe Q now. Marvel has become a corporate giant in the industry, with that comes a lot more considerations about the bottom line compared to the joy of comic books.Has anyone seen this DVD yet?
Spidey rules

Well, I ordered, got it, seen it and must say it’s nothing essential really. Most of the stuff that they talked about was already extensively explored in ‘Stan Lee’s Mutants, Monsters and Marvels’. Quesada held his ground and was…‘informative’ but if you’re expecting a wide exchange of ideas and concepts, you might be disappointed. It’s really just two guys talking about what they did then and what they are doing now…and with Smith occasionally swearing at them both.
Basically I can sum up my impression like this:
Quesada: “You’re cool!”
Stan: “No, you’re cool!”
Quesada: “You’re the man!”
Stan: “Yeah, I am the man!”
Smith: “**** the man!”
Apparently the main feature is so incomplete that they had to insert a couple more separate interviews in between, which are included in the special features section anyway…

I can’t recommend this unless you want to contribute something to the Hero Initiative and still get a token of appreciation out of it.
Seriously, get ‘Stan Lee’s Mutants, Monsters and Marvels’ instead, if you haven’t already.

There's supposedly another dvd coming out called "True Believer" a documentary about Stan Lee....has anyone heard anything about THAT?

I've always loved how people think Stan's viewpoints are exactly the same as their own. :cwink:

hey, i'm one of them.
:csad:

Well, I ordered, got it, seen it and must say it’s nothing essential really. Most of the stuff that they talked about was already extensively explored in ‘Stan Lee’s Mutants, Monsters and Marvels’. Quesada held his ground and was…‘informative’ but if you’re expecting a wide exchange of ideas and concepts, you might be disappointed. It’s really just two guys talking about what they did then and what they are doing now…and with Smith occasionally swearing at them both.
Basically I can sum up my impression like this:
Quesada: “You’re cool!”
Stan: “No, you’re cool!”
Quesada: “You’re the man!”
Stan: “Yeah, I am the man!”
Smith: “**** the man!”
Apparently the main feature is so incomplete that they had to insert a couple more separate interviews in between, which are included in the special features section anyway…

I can’t recommend this unless you want to contribute something to the Hero Initiative and still get a token of appreciation out of it.
Seriously, get ‘Stan Lee’s Mutants, Monsters and Marvels’ instead, if you haven’t already.

Thanks for the review. I think I'll be taking your advice. :up:

Thanks for the review. I think I'll be taking your advice. :up:
Glad to be of service.
To be fare tho - they do talk about the Black Panther a bit, something I haven't heard yet. And of course Quesada talks about the Marvel 'message' and over-glorifies Stan. And then Smith talks about his involvement but if you're a Smith fan, this DVD is not about him and even if he is occasionally trying to save that bore fest it doesn’t really contain that much of his famous hard humour, so go get An Evening With Kevin Smith and AEWKS 2: Evening Harder instead.
At the end Smith was right; they were just blowing each other off. :oldrazz:

And yeah, apparently there's a documentary coming:
http://www.truebelieverthemovie.com

Stan: "I love what you guys are doing even though I don't read any of it."

Quesada: "I love what you've done Stan, that's why I've decided it doesn't work at all and we do things our own way."

Smith: (Insert sex joke)

Glad to be of service.
To be fare tho - they do talk about the Black Panther a bit, something I haven't heard yet. And of course Quesada talks about the Marvel 'message' and over-glorifies Stan. And then Smith talks about his involvement but if you're a Smith fan, this DVD is not about him and even if he is occasionally trying to save that bore fest it doesn’t really contain that much of his famous hard humour, so go get An Evening With Kevin Smith and AEWKS 2: Evening Harder instead.

Very cool trailer! I'm so looking foward to this. :up:

Glad to be of service.

Paris Hilton is on this DVD? :huh:

I somehow get the feeling Lee could care less these days. Kevin Smith might have something to say but not Lee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"