Marvel vs DC, sometimes others, Ripoff?

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
Yeah, so this is a discussion that pops in from time to time, discussion mostly spams different threads and derail the discussion, but people still love talking about the idea from time to time

Marvel copies DC at stuff, DC probably goes the other way around and do the same, sometimes one company copies itself, other times we see copying done by and from other publishers
Copy stuff, take inspiration from it, and that sort of jazz

This is not made for flaming or baiting or other, it's for fun, and you can call it a history session in comics

By the way, be very sure to keep civil, please
And avoid the religion talk as much as possible, religious discussion got banned from community section because of all the flaming that happened in those threads

Last edited:
Before we look at one company ripping another, here's a funny tidbit about a company ripping itself off

Green_Arrow_Vol_4_1.jpg

In his garbs and weapon of choice, you can see inspirations taken from Robin Hood
In the classic runs (very old ones, when he was new) he had
Arrowcar.JPG

The Arrowcar

Arrowplane_001.jpg

The Arrowplane

Just like Batman having his Batmobile and Batwing
That and he had his Arrowcave, and a young sidekick wearing yellow and red, just like Robin

Does Hawkeye count as a rip-off? All he has in common with Oliver is archery, and trick arrows, and being in the big superhero team of their respective universe, and having a girlfriend who happens to be a better fighter than he is........

Where am I going? :p

EDIT: The last point is DC ripping off, Marvel did it first

Last edited:
You can also say DC's Steel is a bit of a ripoff from Marvel's Iron Man.

Another example of being VERY similar are Doctor Fate & Doctor Strange. Both characters go into wizardry, enchantments, sorcery, etc.

A hidden magic lair in the middle of the city, a wife from an alternate dimension, etc...

The Cthulhu arc in Justice League animated took Grundy, Dr. Fate, and Aquaman (Sub-Mariner rip-off) took a spin-off on Marvel's team the Defenders

Another good one is Aquaman vs Namor. Both characters are masters of the seas & oceans, but in this case since Namor was created first in 1939 (Aqauman came in 1941), I'd say it was DC ripping off Marvel. LOL

This guy is a rip-off

Avengers_Vol_1_57.jpg

Of this guy

Red_Tornado_003.jpg

Sentient robot opposing his evil architect, joins the biggest hero team, and has a human love interest

Given the episodic nature of comics, the quantity in which they are published, and the constant need for new story lines and characters, it is inevitable that similarities will occur and recur. Characters may look similar, have similar names, have similar powers, be of similar character types, or do similar things in similar story lines.

It is astonishing when all five happen at once, however.

Ice_001.jpg

Ice (Tora Olaffsdotter)

Is a Rip Off of

Ororo_Munroe_%28Earth-616%29_0001.png

Storm (Ororo Munroe)

Both considered ...errmm, I refuse to say the word used in describing them, for religious purpose.... among their people before joining a superhero team in each respect, other than the Justice League and the Avengers

So Rip-off face off?

Darkseid > Thanos
Death Stroke=Deadpool
Namor>Aquaman

Captain Marvel/Shazam was a ripoff or VERY similar to Superman back in the day. DC even filed a lawsuit against the now defunct Fawcett Comics, now Captain Marvel is owned by DC.

(Just FYI I've named all DC characters in this list first, regardless of whether they predate the Marvel counterpart or not)

Some more:

Doctor Polaris - Magneto
Hector Hammond - The Leader
(Jay Garrick) Flash - The Whizzer

Here's some whose similarities are 'aspectual'...

Doom Patrol - X-Men
(ostracised superhumans led by a wheelchair-bound human genius)

Vandal Savage - Apocalypse
(long-lived/immortal beings seeking to conquer/enslave the world)

Argus - Daredevil
(Both are human-strength acrobats/fighters; the former has enhanced sight whilst the latter has enhanced senses to compensate for lost sight)

Challengers of the Unknown - The Fantastic Four
(Both are teams of renowned space-explorers; though the former have no powers and the latter do, both wear distinctive colored uniforms - purple and blue respectively)

Infinity Inc. - Generation X
(Both teams of superpowered youngsters following in the footsteps/emulating predecessor/elder-teams - Pre-Crisis JSA and X-Men respectively)

Green Lantern - Quasar
(Both wield jewelry - bracelets and a ring respectively - that enables them to create hard-light energy constructs at will)

Another good one is Aquaman vs Namor. Both characters are masters of the seas & oceans, but in this case since Namor was created first in 1939 (Aqauman came in 1941), I'd say it was DC ripping off Marvel. LOL
That's always something I bring up when people say Marvel copies DC because it's the only time DC copied... Well, it was Timely at the time, I believe, but still Marvel.

(Just FYI I've named all DC characters in this list first, regardless of whether they predate the Marvel counterpart or not)

Some more:

Doctor Polaris - Magneto
Hector Hammond - The Leader
(Jay Garrick) Flash - The Whizzer

Here's some whose similarities are 'aspectual'...

Doom Patrol - X-Men
(ostracised superhumans led by a wheelchair-bound human genius)

Vandal Savage - Apocalypse
(long-lived/immortal beings seeking to conquer/enslave the world)

Argus - Daredevil
(Both are human-strength acrobats/fighters; the former has enhanced sight whilst the latter has enhanced senses to compensate for lost sight)

Challengers of the Unknown - The Fantastic Four
(Both are teams of renowned space-explorers; though the former have no powers and the latter do, both wear distinctive colored uniforms - purple and blue respectively)

Infinity Inc. - Generation X
(Both teams of superpowered youngsters following in the footsteps/emulating predecessor/elder-teams - Pre-Crisis JSA and X-Men respectively)

Green Lantern - Quasar
(Both wield jewelry - bracelets and a ring respectively - that enables them to create hard-light energy constructs at will)

I was about to list those. But with Challengers of the Unknown/Fantastic Four and Doom Patrol/X-Men, Jack "The King" Kirby had a hand in creating all four. So it wasn't a copy, so much as a guy bringing similar ideas to a different universe.

He also made The New Gods and repeated himself over at Marvel a bit with my beloved series The Eternals.

------------

Another thing is all the Marvel super-men. The Sentry (very blunt), Gladiator, Captain Mar-Vell, Genis-Vell, Hyperion(s), Superior (though Icon, still Marvel), Centennial, and I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

Batman copies:
Ultimate Adventure's Tin Soldier
Moon Knight pretty much became Batman. Badass butler (French, rather than British), moon themed everything... He's deemed a knight. It's a given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"