Microsoft HD-DVD Add-on Pricing

Zenien

Reaction score
Taiwan game industry favors Microsoft's adoption of external HD-DVD dives for Xbox 360

Microsoft will launch external HD-DVD drives for its Xbox 360 at a retail price of US$200 by Christmas of this year, and Taiwanese games developers and gaming services providers indicated this this is a smart marketing strategy as compared with Sony's adoption of built-in BD drives for its PlayStation 3 (PS3).

External drives have more flexibility than built-in models, the companies pointed out, while adding that despite BD having a much larger storage capacity than HD-DVD, pre-installation of BD drives may decrease the market competitiveness of PS3 units.

Link: http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060814A5023.html

To reitterate, Microsofts adon has no HDMI port, laying the flagging fears that were so popular to FUD with relation to the low end PS3 to rest.

High end PS3: 600 Dollars
Low end PS3: 500 Dollars
Premium Xbox 360+Addon: 600 Dollars
Low End Xbox 360+Addon: 500 Dollars

Your comment about "no HDMI port" is sort of out of place considering that even though Sony's system has one, none of it's highest end HDTV's support it nor will they support it for quite a while, making it a pointless feature to include. Regardless, I'm glad they did this as an add on and not a requirement for those of us who don't want a $600 system, else I'd probably just now be getting a 360.

thats more expensive than i thought.

Manny Calavera said:
Your comment about "no HDMI port" is sort of out of place considering that even though Sony's system has one, none of it's highest end HDTV's support it nor will they support it for quite a while, making it a pointless feature to include. Regardless, I'm glad they did this as an add on and not a requirement for those of us who don't want a $600 system, else I'd probably just now be getting a 360.

YEAH, THE $200 IS A GREAT DEAL, COMPARED TO THE OPTION OF BUYING A STAND-ALONE HD-DVD/BLU-RAY PLAYER FOR $500-$1500. THIS IS A MUCH BETTER WAY TO GIVE PEOPLE.......WHO WANT IT.......AN AFFORDABLE HD MEDIA PLAYER. 'SONY' EXPECTS YOU TO PAY THEM $500-$600, FOR THE RIGHT TO HAVE IT FORCIBLY STUFFED IN YOUR ANUS, WITHOUT LUBRICATION. :o
I'LL PICK ONE UP IN ABOUT A YEAR, WHEN THEY HAVE SEVERAL HUNDRED MORE TITLES AVAILABLE TO PICK FROM. :up:

BTW, SINCE THIS WORKS IN CONJUCTION, VIA USB, WITH THE '360' HARDWARE, WILL THIS ALSO WORK WITH A 'WINDOWS MEDIA' PC? :confused:

THWIP* said:
BTW, SINCE THIS WORKS IN CONJUCTION, VIA USB, WITH THE '360' HARDWARE, WILL THIS ALSO WORK WITH A 'WINDOWS MEDIA' PC? :confused:

No, I believe its locked out via firmware.

It's extremely difficult to hack firmware compared to just software, especially considering all the little things that Microsoft can do since they control the hardware, that hardware's firmware, and the OS in question. I wouldn't count on being able to find a media center hack that WOULDN'T have a good chance of frying something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"