More Disney Diamond Editions coming for 2011

I love the hell out of Alice in Wonderland. The. Hell. Out. Of. It. I really love the books, too, and recognize they altered it pretty significantly, but overall, I think it captures the spirit of the book more than it'll ever get credit for. I was pretty pumped by the re-release, looking forward to getting around to watching that in High-Def.

for the record... and i'm tired of people trying to debate this.. but 2D animation can't get much more definition. if you take 2 restored versions of the same film, play both on the same tv side by side, one with blu ray, one with an upconvert DVD player.. you won't notice a difference. If anything.. maybe sound..

for the record... and i'm tired of people trying to debate this.. but 2D animation can't get much more definition. if you take 2 restored versions of the same film, play both on the same tv side by side, one with blu ray, one with an upconvert DVD player.. you won't notice a difference. If anything.. maybe sound..

I have watched 2D animated films on both, and there can be a difference when done properly. It's the same as any film, brighter and more defined colors. I've watched Beauty and the Beast on the Platinum Edition DVD with my PS3 (which automatically upscales), and the Diamond Edition on Blu-ray, and yeah, you'll notice as long as you're TV is calibrated correctly (which it should be more or less, unless someone's screwed with it). Of course, there can be variation depending on the quality of the restoration, like any other film. It's obviously a much trickier thing than other films, since it requires the movie or series in question to basically be reanimated, but Disney usually puts a lot of work, time and money into their animated restoration.

Last edited:

Man have you seen 'Sleeping Beauty' on Blu-Ray? It BEAUTIFUL.

I've seen 2d films on blu ray and upscale dvd on the same tv... they look the same as long as they're the same versions. We had this very discussion with one of my professors.

Well, so have I, and I saw a difference. All one has to go to DVD Beaver and look at the screen comparisons between an upscaled DVD copy of the newly released Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray to see a degree of difference. I admit, I don't know the completely technical side of it, but I'm sure if RedIsNotBlue is up to it, I could get him to come in and explain all that stuff; he's pretty well versed.

I have not been able to compare sleeping beauty yet, no. but I've seen alice in wonderland and fantasia and compared them.

I want Aladdin and Hercules on Blu-Ray NOW God dangit! :p

well... i personally think the film is classic. yes it differs from the book, but so doesn't nearly every disney film... Hunchback? Pocahontas? Cinderella? Snow White? just take the film for what it is.. don't get uptight about it.

Understood. And you make a very good point there. I'll try and keep that in mind in case I ever re-watch the film. But for now, I have my own opinion and you have yours. And that I can easily respect. Sound good?

I love my Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray! :) I'm not sure if an upscaled DVD will look the same, I think certainly not, I've watched upscaled DVDs of other movies thinking wow, who needs blu-ray? But then I got the Blu-ray of the same movie and it just feels sharper and the colours are thicker.

I just recently got Bambi on Blu-ray to add to my Disney Blu-ray Diamond Edition collection.

So far I've got
Snow White
Beauty and The Beast

For Blu-ray
I've got

Pinocchio
Fantasia & Fantasia 2000
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Monster Inc
Cars