Reaction score
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16045

Thu, April 17th, 2008 at 2:27PM PST

Updated: Thu, April 17th, 2008 at 2:30PM PST

Text Size
Decrease
Increase

All Star Superman vol. 1 on sale now

With the who’s who of sequential art descending upon the Big Apple this weekend for New York Comic Con, CBR News tracked down one of the event’s guests of honor, Grant Morrison, to discuss the superstar writer’s work at DC Comics and to help fans get geared up for all of the weekend’s fun and festivities.

Tuesday, we kicked off our three-part presentation of ALL STAR GRANT MORRISON with a detail-heavy preview of the hugely anticipated Final Crisis, “and followed suit Wednesday with an equally candid conversation about Batman and specifically, the controversial “R.I.P’ storyline. Today we wrap with a look at the end of All Star Superman and test the waters with quirky cult favorite Seaguy.

As readers have no doubt gleaned, Morrison has a death wish that would make Charles Bronson proud. He’s preparing the DC Universe for the day evil wins in Final Crisis at the same time he’s writing Bruce Wayne’s apparent obit in Batman. Even the Man of Steel is looking over his shoulder to see who is tugging on his cape.

The Eisner Award-winning All Star Superman will end this summer with issue #12, and Morrison told CBR News “It’s the last Superman story, wherever you want to place it. It’s at the end of his life.”

Asked if by “end of his life,” he meant the world will experience the second Death of Superman, Morrison responded, “I would never just kill a character. It’s better than that. But yes, you will see the end of Superman.”

Art from All Star Superman

Morrison admitted he would love to keep the title going but his artist and friend Frank Quitely was ready to call it quits and it wouldn’t be the same without him. “We’re stopping mainly because Frank really doesn’t want to draw Superman for the rest of his life,” Morrison confirmed. “The two of us have some other projects we’d like to do so we had to make it finite. We wanted to say our piece and leave. Personally, I could write that book forever. I just love it. I could write stories about Superman every month but the book was designed from the start to be something complete, and to have a beginning and an end. So that’s the way we are playing it.”

Morrison did add, however, he hopes to write a series of one-shot in All Star Superman specials one day as his schedule permits. “As I was working on the book, a bunch of other ideas came to mind and one was an idea for an All Star Superman/Batman book. So that was one of the stories, a thing called ‘Son of Superman.’ It was a kind of take on the Super Sons idea from the 1970s, which I really liked. So I wanted to do that one. And there is another one set in the far, far future with the Superman Squad. So they were stories that were more tangential to Superman.

“And I wanted to do a story of Superman’s first year in Metropolis when he wasn’t so powerful and he was a bit more of a liberal activist. And to do that kind of Superman, the big heavy guy who can only pick up trucks and be killed by an exploding shell, you can kind of do that as the first year and see the differences between that guy and the incredibly powerful, self-assured man-god in the main All Star Superman book. So those are the three stories I came up with and as I say, they were slightly off the main storyline but related to it so I hope to do those when the current workload eases up because as I say I could just keep doing that Superman stuff forever.”

Something both critics and comic shops owners would love too. Indeed, Morrison is well aware that All Star Superman has touched a nerve with both hard core fans and mainstream masses and is proud of the iconic instant-classic he has created with his fellow Scot.

Covers from All Star Superman

“Both Frank and I really appreciate the response, especially to the emotional stuff in the book. It proves that Superman still has resonance and relevance, for want of a better word,” Morrison explained. “And without seeming to boast, because it may sound like a boast, it’s what we set out to do. We wanted to do a comic that was worthy of its subject. Superman is the original and best superhero and he deserved the very best work we could do so there was always the intention to try to make this book special, so it‘s really gratifying when it works and connects with the audience the way it has.

“The way I write stuff, for me, it’s kind of like invocation in a magical sense. I’m trying to summon characters from the ‘imaginal’ world and allow them to speak through me, so in most cases that requires a kind of complete surrender to the spirit of the character that’s close to a possession. Which means things can come as a surprise even to me as the writer. For me, Superman was a big surprise. Because although I had a mission statement to write the quintessential Superman story that you could give anyone and they’d be able to understand it, I didn’t know how that ’Superman’ energy might manifest begin to take over.

“It’s quite funny and Superman is a very distinctive energy. It’s quite a big deal for me that people like it so much because it means they like Superman, maybe more than they knew. And it’s good to like Superman. He’s one of the greatest, most utopian role models the human imagination has created. He really is here to save us all. So to me, it was kind of a conversation with Superman is almost what I am trying to get at. I was sitting down thinking what would Superman have to say? And the more you think like Superman, the more you start to behave like Superman and do things with the single-minded purity and clarity of Superman. It’s kind of interesting.

“All Star Superman is, in that sense, an attempt to do the book that Superman would write. It’s very tight and very controlled and Apollonian. At the same time, it’s got a lot of emotion in it. My contact with Superman has made me a better writer, that’s for sure. The book is intended to be like Superman and it feels like very rooted and very strong where Batman is very much like Batman. It’s darker, it’s pulpier, it’s faster. It has a looser kind of feel to it - Dionysus to Superman’s Apollo.”

In fact, Morrison added that he draws energy from tapping DC’s two biggest icons as he shifts back and forth from writing All Star Superman and Batman.

“Like I said, Superman is very rooted and grounded and all the ‘i’s are dotted and all the ‘t’s are crossed. It’s a very structured book,” he explained. “And then jumping over to Batman, it’s really quite free form and improvised. I know where I am going with it but it’s like Batman. It jumps around a lot. And he gets himself a lot of scrapes and bumps and bruises. And writing the book is a little like that. And like I say, I try to express the personality of the characters through the way the book is written.”

Asked if he thought DC had made a mistake not setting All Star Superman in the same shared universe as All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, in a fashion similar to that of Marvel’s Ultimate Universe, Morrison said he’s not sure that the two titles aren’t!

Explained Morrison, “I don’t know if it would have worked. For me, I guess I do see it all taking place in the same world even though they seem like very different characters. Frank Miller is doing Batman at the beginning of his career and I am doing Superman at the very end of his life, in the years beyond All Star Batman. But it could be the same character as far as I am concerned. That’s where they may have ended up. Because all of the superheroes started out pretty rough and ready in the Golden Age. Superman threw people through windows and Batman carried a gun so I like the way that we can incorporate that into the continuity to create more convincing, rounded characters. Because once upon a time, those guys were a little bit crazier. They did some mental things and then mellowed out a little to further their careers.

“To me, Frank Miller’s Batman is a nutcase but he‘s also meant to be 20-years-old. Sure, DC could have had some continuity in the All Star line and made it a new ‘universe’ but I don’t think it’s what they wanted. I think they wanted to get big iconic visions of the characters. The ‘Ultimate’ universe was a way of re-imagining a lot of classic stories from the 1960s. So you see the origin of Spider-Man again. You see the beginnings of the Avengers and the first appearance of the Skrulls or the Black Panther or Galactus or whatever, pretty much following the original 1960s continuity but updated and reframed with modern haircuts, slang and pop culture references.

“Where I think the idea behind All Star was just to give big names free reign to see what they could come up with to do their own personal takes on characters so in the case of All Star Batman that can just run and run or it can be something like All Star Superman, which ends at #12.”

Speaking of the All Star imprint, Morrison said even though Adam Hughes has long been linked to All Star Wonder Woman, he would love to supersize the Amazonian Princess too. “I’d love to do Wonder Woman because I’d love to do the last story for each of the Trinity and I have a really good idea for Wonder Woman too. That’s something that I may do in the future, whether it’s set in All Star or something else, I don’t know?”

When CBR News spoke in January with Geoff Johns, Morrison’s co-writer on the Final Crisis preview DC Universe: Zero, the über writer said he had two years’ worth of Iron Man stories ready to go in his notebooks. Morrison admitted he also has epiphanies about characters that he’s not currently writing and said he would love to word balloon the Kirby creation one day too.

“Oh yeah, I do that all the time. You just pick something up and you suddenly hit on an arc. Iron Man is another one. He must be popular because I have a take on him too,” he laughed. “There are certain characters like that who just ring a bell. And we’ve all got stories. I’ve got a huge Legion of Super-Heroes story that might never get seen. Geoff is just getting to do his now. We’ve all got a book of things that we’d love to do.”

At least we wont get the Ultimates 3 treatment.

That is a shame. All Star Superman was one of the better takes on the aged character (along with Birthright). In all honesty, Superman's other books are pretty boring the majority of the time.

Just finished it. Amazing. Morrison's crafted one of the best Superman stories of all time.

All Star Superman and Action Comics are true pleasure for fans of the authentic Superman.

Bah. I thought the ending was just ok. I expected something much more grand. To me issue #6 was the best of them all. Still doesn't beat Superman for all seasons as the best Superman story ever, IMO.

This was probably the best interpretation of the Lex Luthor/Superman rivalry I've seen. I'm actually tempted to get Maggin's Last Son of Krypton to see where these ideas originated from.

Hey Sage...somehow i didn't understand the ending...I mean...Luthor was seeing things from Superman's perspective and saw how united we are...i mean..it was sweet and all...but i didn't think it reached it's potential...

I thought Lex was overwhelmed with Superman's senses, showing how different Superman is from normal people.

But what really hit me was the last exchange between the two.
Lex cries that if it wasn't for Superman, he could've saved the world. Superman simply replies, "If you really wanted to save the world, you would've done that a long time ago.

That nailed it for me.

Oh, yeah, for sure!

But I don't know, i was expecting more, a better ending for the story. Superman living in the sun is not my cup of tea. I'd rather have him Fly off and say:
"Folks call me Superman"

That's kind of a petty complaint. This was a story about Superman facing death and he faced it with a dignity that most of us can only aspire to. Complaining that the story was not a different story doesn't mean that it didn't live up to its own potential.

Great story! Superman was never treated with such diginity and respect for a long time. I hope we get a movie that resembles this.

That's kind of a petty complaint. This was a story about Superman facing death and he faced it with a dignity that most of us can only aspire to. Complaining that the story was not a different story doesn't mean that it didn't live up to its own potential.

Why petty? I was just let down a little bit by the ending...I don't know what's so great about the concept of him living in the sun...

Superman living in the sun, repairing it to save Earth. He's still continuing his neverending battle. But before all of that...

Superman knows he's about to die, but doesn't falter. He stays on his path as only Superman can do. He assures himself that Earth will be able to survive without him into different ways...

- First would be Leo Quintum, the rich scientist who was inspired by Superman to dedicate himself to the progression of humanity and science. In Leo's hands are the instructions on how to combine human and Kryptonian DNA. This ensures that if needed, Quintum can create another Superman.

- Superman created his own planet, Earth Q, to see if a world can survive without Superman...and it did. It's our world, pretty much.

So for me, I liked the ending. It was Superman continuing to be the beacon of hope and inspiration. In the story, it was Leo Quintum who benefitted from his example. For the reader, it showed how someone could face his death with his head held high and no regrets. Fantastic.

Yeah i liked it. The whole story. Just the final issue was a little bit of let down. It seemed rushed and inferior writing than the others...

Also, I think it is kind of misleading to say that he is living in the sun. That splash page was obviously meant to be symbolic. A testament to all the values that Superman stands for represented in Art Deco, the style that the first skyscraper's architects embraced. The sun is obviously not powered by a lever, and the people who think that Superman is coming back were not privy to the cosmic insights that took place at the beginning of the issue when Superman realized he was dying and turned away from paradise to save Earth one last time. We don't know what happened to him exactly, but we can be certain that he is not alive in any physical sense of the word.

Morrison's been doing interviews about All-Star with Newsarama in a series that'll add up to ten. Up to five currently:

Part One: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/100821-All-Star-Morrison-01.html
Part Two: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/100822-Morrison-All-Star2.html
Part Three: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/100823-Morrison-Superman3.html
Part Four: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/100824-Morrison4-Superman.html
Part Five: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/100827-Morrison-Superman-05.html

My favorite part of the discussion far is Morrison's views on Luthor. Here's an excerpt:

I thought the real key to him was the fact that, brilliant as he is, Luthor is nowhere near as brilliant as he wants to be or thinks he is. For Luthor, no praise, no success, no achievement is ever enough, because there’s a big hungry hole in soul. His need for acknowledgement and validation is superhuman in scale. Superman needs no thanks, he does what he does because he’s made that way. Luthor constantly rails against his own sense of failure and inadequacy...and Superman’s to blame, of course.

Oh, yeah, for sure!

But I don't know, i was expecting more, a better ending for the story. Superman living in the sun is not my cup of tea. I'd rather have him Fly off and say:
"Folks call me Superman"

oh....so you wanted the generic ending?

Riiight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back