Most Popular Sports Team in Each US State

I have a hard time believing the PSU fanbase is bigger than that of the Steelers.

PSU is HUGE in Pittsburgh and, more importantly from a numbers standpoint, HUGE in the Philadelphia area where the majority of this state's population resides. Considering the vast majority of this part of the state is also Eagles fans, it's not even close. Steelers probably have more fans outside PA than they do in it.

Likewise, I have a hard time believing that the BoSox boast more fans than the Celtics or Patriots. Other than that, the list seems plausible.
Have you ever been to Boston? The Red Sox are a religion in New England.

PSU is HUGE in Pittsburgh and, more importantly from a numbers standpoint, HUGE in the Philadelphia area where the majority of this state's population resides. Considering the vast majority of this part of the state is also Eagles fans, it's not even close. Steelers probably have more fans outside PA than they do in it.

Have you ever been to Boston? The Red Sox are a religion in New England.

I've been to numerous places in PA, including numerous sports apparel stores, and I saw more Steelers items than anything else. Even Philly seemed to have a large number of Steelers fans. And Pittsburgh itself? I was there after their Super Bowl win over the Seahawks, and it seemed that every house, car, and shirt was black and gold.

No, I've never been to Boston, so maybe you're right. If it's true, it's bizarre that the Red Sox have a larger fanbase than the Celts. Until recently, the Red Sox most notable moment was Buckner's error in the '86 WS while the Celtics enjoyed decade after decade of championships.

Every poll I've ever seen about pro basketball loyalty has the Celtics either #1 or #2, so I always assumed that Celt fans were pouring out of every crevasse in Boston.

Very surprised that Michigan wasn't the Red Wings.

I can kind of understand Mass. being the Red Sox, but I think Boston itself (from what I hear) would be the Celtics, with Red Sox popularity spreading thicker than the Celtics in the outer regions of the state.

I thought more about the idea of pro teams not being around certain areas for a long time, and that seems to be quite true. Here are the NFL teams that didn't exist until 1960 or later.

Vikings, 1961
Dolphins, 1965
Falcons, 1966
Saints, 1967
Bengals, 1968
Buccaneers, 1976
Seahawks, 1976
Panthers, 1995
Jaguars, 1995
Ravens, 1996
Titans, 1999
Texans, 2002

I think it's both sad AND hilarious that the states that have Major league teams still lose out to College teams as far as being the fan favourite...

:yay:

There is usually a lot more pride that comes with college than pros. College schools use the name of the whole state, so everyone feels a part of it, where the pros usually use a city name so its really only the city that has a lot of die hard fans.

I thought more about the idea of pro teams not being around certain areas for a long time, and that seems to be quite true. Here are the NFL teams that didn't exist until 1960 or later.

Vikings, 1961
Dolphins, 1965
Falcons, 1966
Saints, 1967
Bengals, 1968
Buccaneers, 1976
Seahawks, 1976
Panthers, 1995
Jaguars, 1995
Ravens, 1996
Titans, 1999
Texans, 2002

You can add all the old AFL teams. They came into being in 1960.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"