Justice League multiverse idea

FeedOnATreeFrog

(A Metal Gear reference)
Reaction score
regarding Nolan's comments about how he thinks it's best if Batman is the only superhero in the universe, and if Superman is the only one in his own, how it makes them more 'important' to the citizens of the world, etc....

What if they have a multiverse?
(Bioshock Infinite is all about this concept, and that's a AAA high-budget blockbuster game. Fringe had it. And each time people say that it's mindblowingly awesome. Nolan's next movie looks like it's going to have it. Is it really as 'outlandish' as people have made it seem? )

Perhaps it puts a new spin on 'assembling the heroes'. Instead of assembling from one world, they are assembled from multiple universes. Mondo epic. That's one way to 1up Avengers, or at least differentiate from it and not feel like a 'me-too' concept.

It can also be a way to keep universes tonally different, and thus have the characters' movies/universes be truer to themselves. Ie: WW exists in a universe that has outlandish gods, etc, while Batman's is more grounded and does not have Greek Gods flying around.

--

Too complicated?

If there's a Flash solo movie prior, perhaps it can introduce/tease the concept, with Jay Garrick coming through to meet Barry Allen or vice-versa; Barry experiencing strange phenomena; people not recognizing him, etc. It could make Flash a unique superhero movie in its own right; the superhero movie about time-travel/alternate universes, etc, all related to his connection to the speed force, while serving as a set up for JL.

--

For the JL movie, in Barry Allen's universe (where baby Clark never made it to Earth), The Martian Manhunter arrives with a warning that Braniac has spread across the universe, and is coming for Earth next (coming to learn what Barry Allen has discovered, multidimensional travel, etc, so that it can conquer the next universe once he's done with his own, etc).

So Flash quickly reaches out into the multiverse to find Batman for some help (from the Reboot), whose legend seems to have spanned across multiple universes (a nod what Bruce accomplished in TDKT, in a different universe). Batman then forms a plan, and recruits based on specific abilities required to perform a specific task in their mission. He pulls in WW and Aquaman (from the universe where Gods exist), GL (a different one than GL2011's universe, where the Corps also exists), and lastly Superman (from MoS).

At the end of the movie, they go back to their respective universes. (it would also solve the 'problem' of why they don't help each other out in their solo movies; Superman's superhearing doesn't span into parallel universes after all)

---

The multiverse is also very DC, which would be cool to celebrate in the Justice League movie.

Last edited:
I say Barry Allen should travel to other worlds and time travel in The Flash 2. I have a whole plan laid out I'll have to post sometime for how it could work haha. :) I think it would be cool to see if they could do it.

Brilliant. I liked the idea last year too, when it was rumored to be a part of the script.

It would be cool with Nolans Batman as well, because you have a grounded world without superheroes, Bruce leaves on a secret mission (who would convince him? Martian Manhunter?? Superman??) and keeps Blake as the new Batman of Gotham/that universe. It would be a clever way to convince Nolan to bring Bale back.

Works great for Wonder Woman, for Flash especially. Green Lantern as well. Heck, even Aquaman if they add him in. They wont bring Reynolds back, but they could this way...and it would work. Every tone is welcomed to clash.

Brilliant. I liked the idea last year too, when it was rumored to be a part of the script.

It would be cool with Nolans Batman as well, because you have a grounded world without superheroes, Bruce leaves on a secret mission (who would convince him? Martian Manhunter?? Superman??) and keeps Blake as the new Batman of Gotham/that universe. It would be a clever way to convince Nolan to bring Bale back.

Works great for Wonder Woman, for Flash especially. Green Lantern as well. Heck, even Aquaman if they add him in. They wont bring Reynolds back, but they could this way...and it would work. Every tone is welcomed to clash.

Nolans Batman would be cool if Nolan/Bale was interested. However, I'd like it more if it wasn't.
If Bale wants to be Batman for the next set of movies, sure. Why not make it a parallel universe's Bruce, where he looks the same (They could establish this in a myriad of awesome ways. "Don't you mean the League of Assassins? Who is Ra's Al Ghul?")
They could do the same with Reynolds if they really wanted him back. It could be a different universe's Hal Jordan.

Or a recast for the reboot. Whatever.

However, I think they can hint that every incarnation of DC film somehow exists in the multiverse. It could lead to some epic fan service.

How mind-blowing would it be if at the denouement of the movie when everyone is returning to their own universe, the rebooted Batman for whatever reason is momentarily transported to the TDK cave instead, catching a glimpse of Blake, or Keaton in the 89 cave, before arriving in his own universe's cave.

(anyone who's beat Bioshock Infinite knows how mindblowing this kind of throwback thing can be)

Last edited:
legendsofthedarkknights.jpg
I called it!... somewhat. :oldrazz:

But seriously, I like this idea a lot, even if it sweeps away some concepts of the DC Universe. Because honestly, the DC characters lend themselves to completely different worlds, as some pointed out. But with the Multiverse concept we allow to have a world where such a situation could arise. With this template, we could have a crossover film that doesn't messes the continuity of other films, allowing us to have series of films dedicated to solo heroes. Having Bale's Batman on the fray would be sweet. I can't figure out the details for now, having some sort of Crisis on Infinite Earths with the end results being a world that combines every franchise where Justice League films can happen while still having a parallel world for solo films can happen too would be interesting. It is a tough thing to crack, but the concept is very appealing.

legendsofthedarkknights.jpg
I called it!... somewhat. :oldrazz:

But seriously, I like this idea a lot, even if it sweeps away some concepts of the DC Universe. Because honestly, the DC characters lend themselves to completely different worlds, as some pointed out. But with the Multiverse concept we allow to have a world where such a situation could arise. With this template, we could have a crossover film that doesn't messes the continuity of other films, allowing us to have series of films dedicated to solo heroes. Having Bale's Batman on the fray would be sweet. I can't figure out the details for now, having some sort of Crisis on Infinite Earths with the end results being a world that combines every franchise where Justice League films can happen while still having a parallel world for solo films can happen too would be interesting. It is a tough thing to crack, but the concept is very appealing.

Perhaps after each character has had their trilogy of solos, or at least their fair share, they could have a Flashpoint inspired JL or Flash movie, merging all the universes into one, giving us a JLUesque world where superheroes are abundant, giving us something fresh for the next set of movies (also an appropriate time to switch actors if need be. Basically a reboot).

Last edited:
Nolans Batman would be cool if Nolan/Bale was interested. However, I'd like it more if it wasn't.
If Bale wants to be Batman for the next set of movies, sure. Why not make it a parallel universe's Bruce, where he looks the same (They could establish this in a myriad of awesome ways. "Don't you mean the League of Assassins? Who is Ra's Al Ghul?")
They could do the same with Reynolds if they really wanted him back. It could be a different universe's Hal Jordan.

Or a recast for the reboot. Whatever.

However, I think they can hint that every incarnation of DC film somehow exists in the multiverse. It could lead to some epic fan service.

How mind-blowing would it be if at the denouement of the movie when everyone is returning to their own universe, the rebooted Batman for whatever reason is momentarily transported to the TDK cave instead, catching a glimpse of Blake, or Keaton in the 89 cave, before arriving in his own universe's cave.

(anyone who's beat Bioshock Infinite knows how mindblowing this kind of throwback thing can be)
Yeah exactly, it wouldn't matter if Bale comes back or not..the concept works. It's a fantastic idea and very creative for writers/filmmakers.

It would be mindblowing to have a Bruce Wayne/Batman exist in almost every universe. Burton's, Shumacher's, Nolan's, the reboot (which may appear in JL aka more comic-booky like Arkham Asylum), a future Batman Beyond...all in separate universes.

It would work so well with Flash it's unreal.

It's a good way to use Martian Manhunter as well. Utilize him as the one who warns each superhero of the threat of Darkseid. It could emphasize a certain level of destiny as well. That each universe was bound to have a superhero to protect its planet..there was always supposed to be a Batman and for Bruce Wayne to go through what he went through in Gotham. Destined to shake up that city, etc. Same for the other characters in JL. Showing how important and iconic each of them are and how much they're needed.

It goes back to what Joker says to Batman in TDK "Maybe you and I are destined to do this forever". No matter what realm, universe, etc...there is always a Joker for each Batman. He is forever the arch-nemesis to Batman no matter how he differs.

Perhaps after each character has had their trilogy of solos, or at least their fair share, they could have a Flashpoint inspired JL or Flash movie, merging all the universes into one, giving us a JLUesque world where superheroes are abundant, giving us something fresh for the next set of movies (also an appropriate time to switch actors if need be. Basically a reboot).
They're even going to do that with Evil Dead. Jane Levy's and Bruce Campbell's are separate then they're going to do one film where the universes join up. I would LOVE to see this happen with JL.

It would be mindblowing to have a Bruce Wayne/Batman exist in almost every universe. Burton's, Shumacher's, Nolan's, the reboot (which may appear in JL aka more comic-booky like Arkham Asylum), a future Batman Beyond...all in separate universes.

I think it would be cool if he was in many (as many as we've seen on screen, at least), but not 'most'; not in MoS's universe, not in WW/Aquaman's universe, etc. Or else that would defeat the purpose of having to get heroes from different universes (if you could just get them all from one)

It would work so well with Flash it's unreal.

I agree. If they emphasized this stuff, I think it could really elevate the character, or at least ensure that it doesn't get lost in the overcrowded superhero genre. People loved Looper. I think they'd love Flash: Through Time or whatever.

It could emphasize a certain level of destiny as well. That each universe was bound to have a superhero to protect its planet..there was always supposed to be a Batman and for Bruce Wayne to go through what he went through in Gotham. Destined to shake up that city, etc. Same for the other characters in JL. Showing how important and iconic each of them are and how much they're needed.

It goes back to what Joker says to Batman in TDK "Maybe you and I are destined to do this forever". No matter what realm, universe, etc...there is always a Joker for each Batman. He is forever the arch-nemesis to Batman no matter how he differs.

I love this. But as awesome as this is, it's not a theme I've seen come up in the comics. It's much more Damon Lindelof, if you know what I mean (who I'm a fan of).

Last edited:
I was gonna say, it's very LOST, but I think it would work SO well with this.

if they do a DC multi-verse movie, I want to see Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Val Kilmer, Brandon Routh, Dean Cain, Tom Welling and anyone else I missed somehow show up, even if its just a quick second :D

It's really cool (the multiple Batman idea) but let's keep it simplistic for now because we know WB would want to keep it as simple as possible to serve JL and not to serve everything under the sun in DC. They wouldn't want to acknowledge any past movie universes that were bombs either like the Shumacher movies, Superman sequels, Catwoman, Green Lantern, etc.

So I would say if Bale came back then great. If it's a reboot then he's Batman in his own universe while each JL member has their own.

Dark Universe would be the only exception. They can exist in their own universe as well. A much more supernatural one.

Im not sure if it would be bad to have Flash and Green Lantern in the same universe though. The others like the Trinity & Aquaman can be individual. But I wouldn't mind Barry & Hal as friends already in their own world and Martian Manhunter handpicks them after convincing Diana in her world, Bruce in his and Clark in his. Because Hal/Barry aren't strong enough to take on Darkseid's threat for example.

I say that if WB want to simplify the amount of universes. Even having MM in the same universe as Hal (and maybe Barry too) would be cool. J'onzz blames Hal for what happened to him. That way you have 5 or 6 universes that are all so different from one another. Instead of complicating it by pushing it to 10 or more.

I would have to say that the concept of a multiverse would be a little complex and would have to be explained in every film thereafter what universe the story takes place. It could be confusing unless you are an avid fan of the comics.

It wouldn't have to be explained at all in any solo film. That's the point.

I'll say the same thing I said the last time this came up: its a bad idea. You can do a story about the multiverse, sure. . . but if you make the story about the multiverse, it has to be *about the multiverse.* If they try to use the multiverse as a cheap and easy way to cross over different DC heroes without having to write them in a coherent manner? What they will get is a badly broken plot where what seemingly should be the major plot focus instead is used purely as a premise justification.

Could you do a JLA movie involving the multiverse? Sure. But if you want it to be any good, it has to be done *after* establishing the JLA.

I disagree. It will only come off incoherent if it's written poorly.

I'll say the same thing I said the last time this came up: its a bad idea. You can do a story about the multiverse, sure. . . but if you make the story about the multiverse, it has to be *about the multiverse.* If they try to use the multiverse as a cheap and easy way to cross over different DC heroes without having to write them in a coherent manner? What they will get is a badly broken plot where what seemingly should be the major plot focus instead is used purely as a premise justification.

Could you do a JLA movie involving the multiverse? Sure. But if you want it to be any good, it has to be done *after* establishing the JLA.

What if they use the multiverse as a characterization tool though?

For example. Perhaps when Bruce gets brought to this new universe, he seemingly ignores the mission and is nowhere to be found. Supes later finds him at his parents graves, where he had gone to see if they were still alive, etc.

It could also test the altruism of these heroes. Why do they need to save a universe they have no stake in?

I get what you're saying though. It shouldn't just be there for practicality sake.

Last edited:
i had this idea years ago, even posted it on these boards, and the shh! posters all said "NO." good on you for getting at least one supporter.

What if they use the multiverse as a characterization tool though?

For example. Perhaps when Bruce gets brought to this new universe, he seemingly ignores the mission and is nowhere to be found. Supes later finds him at his parents graves, where he had gone to see if they were still alive, etc.

It could also test the altruism of these heroes. Why do they need to save a universe they have no stake in?

I get what you're saying though. It shouldn't just be there for practicality sake.

The problem is, your trying to do that in the same movie when you are also trying to introduce the characters to each other *and* to the audience. Its just too much. You can't really get the audience to invest into the alternate universes until you get them to invest in one single fictional universe in the first place.

I said this before somewhere else, but I really would like to see separate films for each character. You know, without any cameos or crossovers whatsoever. Just a solid series of films. I think Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern deserve this treatment. Their worlds are very rich, it is just a matter of getting some talented people on the helm (like everything else). It would separate DC's from Marvel's approach. And in some years, why not? Having a crossover film like the proposed one in this thread and the end result being a mash of every film into a different DC movie universe.

I realize it is way to ambitious, but I would be very happy if at least the first part of this idea come to fruitition (The solo films).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"