Nathan Fillion to Star in ABC Crime Series The Rookie

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/898699-nathan-fillion-to-star-in-abc-crime-series-the-rookie

Castle and Firefly star Nathan Fillion is heading back to ABC to star in The Rookie, according to Deadline. The “light crime drama” will also be executive produced by Fillion. The Rookie has gotten a straight-to-series order from the network. The show comes to us from The Mark Gordon Company and ABC Studios. Fillion will be working once again with Castle executive producer and co-showrunner Alexi Hawley on the series.

Hawley and Fillion will executive produce The Rookie with Mark Gordon and Nicholas Pepper from The Mark Gordon Company as well as Michelle Chapman and Jon Steinberg. The show will be written by Hawley.

The Rookie is reportedly inspired by a true story. Fillion will play John Nolan, “the oldest rookie in the LAPD. At an age where most are at the peak of their career, Nolan cast aside his comfortable, small town life and moved to L.A. to pursue his dream of being a cop. Now, surrounded by rookies twenty years his junior, Nolan must navigate the dangerous, humorous and unpredictable world of a ‘young’ cop, determined to make his second shot at life count.”
It'll be good to see Fillion back on the screen!

Awesome, Nathan Fillion was down here last weekend for NZ's comic con (Armageddon) and he was hilarious. Love the guy, he's very down to earth and self-effacing. Worth the trip to Auckland just to see him.

Glad to hear he's still in demand.

Ha another Kiwi Fillion fan! Gutted I couldn't be at Armageddon to see him as I was in the US.

[YT]Z6dQHhvwSaE[/YT]

I like the premise and that mini-look did not hurt.

long time fan of Nate I am SO down for this

So they're even keeping the same title of the exact same story told in the baseball movie? :p

Oh well, **** it, Fillion, I'm in. Hopefully there's not another Nathan/Stana equivalent situation going on behind the scenes.

[YT]k9K06dCP-lc[/YT]

Looks decent enough, but ABC gave it the Tuesday death slot. I guess they're confident that Fillion's years on Castle might be enough to counteract it, but ehh...

Well the premise isn't bad at all. I don't know about Fillion though. I feel like he's exhausted everything on Castle now and has become a bit stale. I would've rather seen someone else in the role who is a fresher face whom we haven't seen as much.

I actually prefer watching Stana Katic to Fillion. I know she's in some series now as an FBI investigator, but I don't really like the premise of that series. I think I would've preferred her in this to Fillion.

I may still check it out though.

“He’s old and a Rookie” that doesn’t seem enough to keep me interested

I don't think there is any new way to get into a procedural, ex partner's child, old rookie, black rookie, female rookie, rookie from other community, although gay rookie might still be on the table, thus all the shows trying to take the legacy of grandfathered series by using the name and maybe a iconic theme song.

We are left with the bank-ability and likability of the stars along with the execution

I don't think there is any new way to get into a procedural, ex partner's child, old rookie, black rookie, female rookie, rookie from other community, although gay rookie might still be on the table, thus all the shows trying to take the legacy of grandfathered series by using the name and maybe a iconic theme song.

We are left with the bank-ability and likability of the stars along with the execution

I totally agree

Thinking about Southland featured a gay training officer. That was one hated series finale.

He play's a 40 year old...

For me he's not that interesting to watch as it feels a bit like a retread of Castle but without Beckett. Castle seemed to have aspirations of being a proper cop and then PI. Here it's almost as if he got his wish to join the police force.

He play's a 40 year old...

Well he is closer to 40 than Angela Bassett and Connie Britton where to their characters on 9-1-1. I think the inspiration for the show was a 46 year old LAPD boot. There was a 59 year old (there is no mandatory retirement age in the LAPD thus the ancient Lieutenants on Major Crimes) who didn't make it through his probationary year.

That's not good at all... stuff like this can kill shows

It is similar to what happened with Lethal Weapon. Just substitute sexual/racial harassment for the ****show that went on behind the scenes.

I thought it was weird when news came out she was leaving. Such a shame. I enjoyed her character and was very upset they weren't going to continue any of her subplots, like the married person she was seeing.

Disappointing that no one took her complaints seriously or swept them under the rug. I'm kind of curious who the guest star was that was harassing her.

Assuming the social politics doesn't kill the show story wise they did make it easy to soft reboot. The Rookies were going to a Chief's interview to see if they moved to the next phase of probation or were dropped. Unlike other shows like Adam-12 through TJ Hooker where the training officer stopped being a training officer but just a partner to the normally younger lead cop they really could have moved on. With one promoted to Sergeant or dead from a bioterrorist. and the exiting cast member up for "the tap" to detective.

But for now the speculation is about which reoccuring actor and Executive Producers will get the boot from Hollywood.

It doesn't seem like Bishop would get a promotion that quickly after her disciplinary incident.

I mean I like the show but it takes some pretty huge leaps in logic A LOT. Like I don't think a police officer would be allowed to serve as an arresting officer to the perp who kidnapped him and killed his captain in front of him.

Secondly, why would Bishop not put all that stuff about her foster brother on her background check and what not? I doubt that would've seriously killed her career or ambitions.

I hope this news doesn't kill the show. At the same time, disappointed it came to this. Bishop seemed like the second most important character on the show.

I don't think it would kill the show, but I have a feeling the second season would have lower ratings due to the Sunday move, and Afton quiting the show is gonna be a bigger factor to its cancelation. Disney can't be happy with this news/scenario and if season 2 premieres lower than expected, they would pull the plug early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"