Nicole Kidman to Fight the Invasion

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=10578

Source: Production Weekly
July 28, 2005

Nicole Kidman is set to play the lead in Invasion, German director Oliver Hirschbiegel's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, reports Production Weekly.

The Warner Bros. release, written by Dave Kajganich, will center on Carol (Kidman) who uncovers a conspiracy in a small town where the inhabitants' personalities seem to be changing.

Production on the new version will begin in October.

In Don Siegel's original 1956 sci-fi/horror film, a hysteria spreads through a small California town after townspeople appear to their relatives and friends as strangers while retaining their outward appearances. The studio owns the remake rights to the film after making 1993's Body Snatchers, directed by Abel Ferrara.

Kidman also re-confirmed her participation in Wong Kar-wais upcoming A Lady From Shanghai, which will shoot in Russia and elsewhere in the west. The film is set in the 1950s and revolves around a glamorous woman in danger and in love with a spy.

With an actress like Kidman in it maybe one can hope for one of those rare good remakes

Great another remake, it seems this will be one of those remakes of a remake of the original.

Galactus said:
With an actress like Kidman in it maybe one can hope for one of those rare good remakes

*cough*Bewitched*cough*

Interesting. I havent seen it but Hirschbiegels film Untergang, Der has received huge acclaim by critics. Invasion is one of those films that deserves a modern re-make. It's classic story and can be done well, I hope.

green said:
Interesting. I havent seen it but Hirschbiegels film Untergang, Der has received huge acclaim by critics. Invasion is one of those films that deserves a modern re-make. It's classic story and can be done well, I hope.

I agree,and with a class actress like Kidman it has a good chance of being a decent remake IMO

hunter rider said:
I agree,and with a class actress like Kidman it has a good chance of being a decent remake IMO

Hopefully it will turn out like The Others in tone...I love that movie.

Didn't they all ready do a remake of this back in 1995?

what Tom Cruise does an alien film and she has to do one too???????????

isn't there already a tv show about to premier called 'invasion', which seems very similar to the idea of 'body snatchers'?

Hollywood is getting more and more original. :rolleyes:

isnt invasion of the body snatchers the same thing as that movie she did awhile ago, the stepford wives. not exactly but the premise seems similar.

They've remade Body Snatchers TWICE. There was one in the early to mid '90s too.

And at this rate, if she continues to do remakes, Nicole Kidman's film career will end up going the way of Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin - i.e., good for nothing but the occasional cartoon voiceover.

ManHunter said:
isnt invasion of the body snatchers the same thing as that movie she did awhile ago, the stepford wives. not exactly but the premise seems similar.

Uh no, they're nothing at all alike.

Matt said:
Uh no, they're nothing at all alike.

Don't mind him Matt. :o

Stevie Wonder can see the Stepford Wives and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers are nothing alike.

is the origianl the one with jeff goldblum???

DEAR GOD! STOP IT WITH THE REMAKES ALREADY! :(

NOFX said:
is the origianl the one with jeff goldblum???

The original one came out in the 50s but the 90s remake had Jeff and Donald Sutherland. I remember really liking that one, haven't seen it in a while though.

.... how many remakes of Body Snatchers do we need? We have the original and two remakes already, right?

What's wrong with the Sutherland one? How will they surpass that? because right now, I have no idea.

How many times are they gonna remake this movie? :o

Wolfwood said:
The original one came out in the 50s but the 90s remake had Jeff and Donald Sutherland. I remember really liking that one, haven't seen it in a while though.

Actually, that's the '70s version. Don't remember who was in the '90s version, except maybe a creepy cameo by Meg Tilly. That's about all I can remember.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001001613
Kidman snatches lead in Warners' 'Invasion'

By Borys Kit
Nicole Kidman is in final negotiations to topline "Invasion," a sci-fi thriller being directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel for Warner Bros. Pictures. Joel Silver is producing.

The story takes place after a mysterious epidemic alters the behavior of human beings and follows a Washington psychiatrist (Kidman) who discovers that its origins are extraterrestrial. She must fight to protect her son, who may hold the key to stopping the invasion.

The project is neither a reimagining nor a remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." The project originated as a remake, but when writer David Kajganich turned in his take, the studio thought it had something fresh on its hands.

"It's a very insidious story about how the end of the world can come through science and disease and not through explosions," Silver said. "Oliver really understands the kind of dark character study that this is going to be. He fell in love with Nicole, he said he really wanted her, and it took us a while to make the deal."

Vertigo Entertainment's Doug Davison and Roy Lee will executive produce along with Susan Levin, Don Zepfel and Steve Richards. David Gambino is the associate producer.

Dan Lin is overseeing for the studio.

A late September shoot in Baltimore is being eyed for the pic, which is being co-financed by Village Roadshow Pictures.

For Kidman, repped by CAA and attorney Alan Wertheimer, "Invasion" would be a return to a genre she hasn't done since the ghost story "The Others" in 2001.

Hirschbiegel directed the Academy Award-nominated German-language film "Downfall," which has grossed more than $87 million worldwide. His other credits include "Das Experiment," Germany's entry for the Academy Awards in 2002. He is repped by UTA and attorney Barry Hirsch.

Kajganich is repped by UTA, Kustom Entertainment and Wertheimer.

Davison and Lee and their Vertigo Entertainment are repped by UTA.

I'll check it out and see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zelzela
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"