• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nobel Laurette's Academic Career Ended by a Single Joke

This actually brings up an interesting and possibly disturbing point - we're at the stage now where anything even remotely insensitive is grounds for public shaming. Who amongst us hasn't unintentionally said something stupid in their life? Sometimes we have a thought in our head that we don't articulate right when we speak, now we risk out very livelihood if we don't get it right. It basically means every person on the planet is now on notice. I don't know how I feel living in a society whereby one lapse in judgement can cost you everything.

I agree wholeheartedly there's a huge gap between genders that shouldn't be there.

But the 80's, 90's and early 00's didn't have the Social Media Inquisition going on and you could get away with terrible jokes like that.
I agree that is how it use to be, but I don't agree that it was a "better time" because of it. Do things get out of control? Yes. But I prefer people being put on the spot when they say stuff like this, then letting it slide.

This actually brings up an interesting and possibly disturbing point - we're at the stage now where anything even remotely insensitive is grounds for public shaming. Who amongst us hasn't unintentionally said something stupid in their life? Sometimes we have a thought in our head that we don't articulate right when we speak, now we risk out very livelihood if we don't get it right. It basically means every person on the planet is now on notice. I don't know how I feel living in a society whereby one lapse in judgement can cost you everything.
What about this sounds like an accidental slip? Also, since when did sexist and racist speech just slip out of people's mouth by accident? When did this become a common occur?

The reaction from the scientific community was pretty much a perfect example of how he was put on the spot. The armchair outrage that led to his firing does more harm than good.

The reaction from the scientific community was pretty much a perfect example of how he was put on the spot. The armchair outrage that led to his firing does more harm than good.
So just let sexist, racist and homophobic talk persist?

I am confused at the annoyance of public outcry here. He said an insanely sexist thing. Now, I don't agree with him being fired, but what in the world is wrong with people being upset with sexist speech?

So just let sexist, racist and homophobic talk persist?

I am confused at the annoyance of public outcry here. He said an insanely sexist thing. Now, I don't agree with him being fired, but what in the world is wrong with people being upset with sexist speech?

He got taken to task perfectly by the group of people he offended. Female scientists went on social media and created a humorous trend that made him look like the old coot he was in a hilarious manner. He got what he deserved and that would've been that.

I'm annoyed at the public outcry because one of the leading scientific minds in cellular and cancer research lost his job as an advisor to the future scientific minds in cellular and cancer research lost his job thanks to whining by people that have nothing to do with, but greatly benefit from, cellular and cancer research.

He got taken to task perfectly by the group of people he offended. Female scientists went on social media and created a humorous trend that made him look like the old coot he was in a hilarious manner. He got what he deserved and that would've been that.

I'm annoyed at the public outcry because one of the leading scientific minds in cellular and cancer research lost his job as an advisor to the future scientific minds in cellular and cancer research lost his job thanks to whining by people that have nothing to do with, but greatly benefit from, cellular and cancer research.
But that is not the public's fault. That is the school overreacting. Also, do you really believe that only female scientist are allowed to offended here?

But that is not the public's fault. That is the school overreacting. Also, do you really believe that only female scientist are allowed to offended here?

That's the group he made disparaging remarks about... so yes.

I'm surprised his joke wasn't considered to be sexual harassment.

I sympathised, then the specifically offended group got their comeuppance and there was nothing to worry about.

But then it goes too far, those who complained one old man's crappy joke, are the same ones trying to censor the next Bill Hicks style satirical joke. They're putting a filter on the world.

What about this sounds like an accidental slip? Also, since when did sexist and racist speech just slip out of people's mouth by accident? When did this become a common occur?

People say dumb things sometimes as a means to crack a joke. Sometimes they misjudge the appropriateness of that joke. It's happened to all of us, that doesn't mean anyone deserves their life ruined.

I sympathised, then the specifically offended group got their comeuppance and there was nothing to worry about.

But then it goes too far, those who complained one old man's crappy joke, are the same ones trying to censor the next Bill Hicks style satirical joke. They're putting a filter on the world.
Here is my major problem. Playing this off as an old man's crappy joke doesn't work for me. We aren't talking about a comedian, or even an appropriate place to say what he said. Dismissing sexism, racism, etc. is why there is a blacklash now. It was all played off for far too long, as if it means nothing.

Be honest, own it, and take your licks. I wouldn't have fired him, and I think they grossly overreacted by doing so. But this wouldn't have been a thing if he hadn't said what he did. Considering his record, you'd think he'd be smart enough not to do it.

People say dumb things sometimes as a means to crack a joke. Sometimes they misjudge the appropriateness of that joke. It's happened to all of us, that doesn't mean anyone deserves their life ruined.
You are going to have to explain this. At what point do grown adults with brains walk into a room of people they don't know, and start making sexist, racist, homophobic, and other such jokes.

You are going to have to explain this. At what point do grown adults with brains walk into a room of people they don't know, and start making sexist, racist, homophobic, and other such jokes.

People who don't realise the jokes they are saying might be offensive. Nervousness makes people do and say some silly things. And let's not forget, humour is subjective.

Its so stupid how people can get so outraged over a joke that it costs a man his job and reputation.

Whats so stupid about it is that the people who are the most outraged dont even know the guy outside of the joke he made. They see one comment he makes and go off calling him a sexist, or pig etc... Nevermind that by all accounts hes a good and decent person who respects women and has treated them fairly. Even his own former female students and colleagues have chimed in and said that even though what he said was stupid it didnt even come close to describing his attitudes toward women.

None of the stupid mob care about that though. They just want to berate and hopefully get him fired and ostracized because of one stupid joke that happened to offend them.

People who don't realise the jokes they are saying might be offensive. Nervousness makes people do and say some silly things. And let's not forget, humour is subjective.
We live in the 21st century. This isn't an excuse anymore. Anything sexist, racist, homophobic, etc. is clearly offensive. We aren't talking about a college frat, full of a bunch of stupid kids who think racism or sexism is funny.

We live in the 21st century. This isn't an excuse anymore. Anything sexist, racist, homophobic, etc. is clearly offensive. We aren't talking about a college frat, full of a bunch of stupid kids who think racism or sexism is funny.

Have you ever told a joke no one else found funny?

Its so stupid how people can get so outraged over a joke that it costs a man his job and reputation.

Whats so stupid about it is that the people who are the most outraged dont even know the guy outside of the joke he made. They see one comment he makes and go off calling him a sexist, or pig etc... Nevermind that by all accounts hes a good and decent person who respects women and has treated them fairly. Even his own former female students and colleagues have chimed in and said that even though what he said was stupid it didnt even come close to describing his attitudes toward women.

None of the stupid mob care about that though. They just want to berate and hopefully get him fired and ostracized because of one stupid joke that happened to offend them.
He says its a joke, so it is okay that he said something extremely sexist in public. Here is a hint. If you don't want people to think you are sexist, don't say something so extremely sexist.

Have you ever told a joke no one else found funny?
Yep. But it most certainly wasn't sexist, racist or homophobic in nature, in a room full of people I don't know.

Yep. But it most certainly wasn't sexist, racist or homophobic in nature, in a room full of people I don't know.

And maybe to him it wasn't a sexist joke, at least not at the time. That's the issue, he made a poor judgement about the joke, like we all have with our own humour, sometimes we say stuff that in our heads is funny to us but no-one finds its funny, regardless of the subject matter.

And maybe to him it wasn't a sexist joke, at least not at the time. That's the issue, he made a poor judgement about the joke, like we all have with our own humour, sometimes we say stuff that in our heads is funny to us but no-one finds its funny, regardless of the subject matter.
One, you assume it is a joke because he says it is a joke. Something he clearly didn't make clear at the time.

Two, how in the world is what he said not clearly sexist?

“Let me tell you about my trouble with girls. Three things happen when they are in the lab. You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them, they cry,” he told delegates.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...g-out-to-dry-interview-mary-collins?CMP=fb_gu

Even as a joke, it is clearly one poking fun at a sexist stereotype. It is why he has admitted it was an incredibly stupid thing to say.

For starters what's sexist to you might not necessarily be sexist to him, at least not at first glance. I also don't know what the context of the conversation was prior to or after the statement, there may very well be more to that part of the talk that is being completely overlooked. The thing with social media warriors is that they tend to latch on to only one part of something they are outraged by. Basically though, what it comes down to is society has deemed that no-one is allowed to say anything remotely offensive now, intentional or not.

Last edited:
For starters what's sexist to you might not necessarily be sexist to him, at least not at first glance. I also don't know what the context of the conversation was prior to or after the statement, there may very well be more to that part of the talk that is being completely overlooked. The thing with social media warriors is that they tend to latch on to only one part of something they are outraged by. Basically though, what it comes down to is society has deemed that no-one is allowed to say anything remotely offensive now, intentional or not.
The article is right there for you to read. They seem to put it into context quite well. But please explain how what he said in any way can be perceived as anything but sexist. Joke or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"