One problem that nearly all superhero movies face

Certainly, anything looks bigger on the big screen; but there's plenty of street-level heroes whose stories are far better suited for small-screen. And haters gonna hate, but I humbly submit that Batman and Spider-Man are two of the best examples.

TV just makes sense for superheroes. Comic books are episodic by nature; TV shows are episodic by nature. Movies are not, despite Hollywood's obsession with trilogies and mega-trilogies since the 1980s.

Batman's possible but Spidey'd be real tough to nail his FX on a TV budget/schedule.

Batman's possible but Spidey'd be real tough to nail his FX on a TV budget/schedule.

Are you kiddin' me.....? Spidey's FX would be a cinch for TV....living proof here:

[YT]JUcktiQxC9Q [/YT]

:woot:

When it comes to the Marvel verse, the four biggest villains are Doom, Magneto, Norman Osborn, and Loki right now. Maybe Leader after the whole Hulks thing. It's easy to give the rest of them the shaft in a sense.

Unfortunately, my flash is no more so I can't see what you're showing me there.

Dem goddamn montages. Always truncate a hero's journey instead of basing a movie around the journey.

I'm still hoping for that one, standalone, superVILLAIN movie based on a popular comic-book villain. Both Marvel and DC have em in bucket-loads, but no one's willing to invest. Heck forget that, I'll even take a big-bad from the old myths. Monster films and Horror-Slashers were fun when we was kids, but that joy of fear and rootin' for the baddies is just a longing these days.

I mean, Al Pacino's starred in some daisies as the big-bad, and those films are classics! Why can't we get the same for guys like Darkseid or Doc Doom? Or even Galactus?

This is one reason I'd prefer to see a lot of superheroes get the small-screen treatment instead of the big screen.

In all honesty, the episodic nature of comic books makes them a natural for TV series. But when you try to make a *movie* serial, you've got mega, mega time and money problems. 2-3 years between films, megabudgets and casting wars....bah.

Put 'em on the TV, Marvel and DC. Save yourself and the fans the headache.

One of the most important things that Hollywood can learn today :up: I'm kinda psyched up for that news about a Punisher and Hulk tv series. I'm still gonna go ahead and say it: Smallville managed to adapt stories from the comics that would otherwise have been impossible to see in live-action. Sad that it's quality faded like it did.

It honestly doesn't bother me very much. It's one of things I dislike about comics actually: they never freaking end. I prefer the self contained one shots and graphic novels, which are inherently more cinematic. I'd rather see an arc through than a never ending series of Freddy Krueger like comebacks. After The Avengers, that should probably be the last we see of Loki for a good long time.

And here we have the counter-debate. I have to agree, but it all depends on what story you're telling really. It works for stand-alones like V for Vendetta and the such, and you can always adapt a serialised tale of comics into a definitive single story (it's possible, it's an adaptation after all). But the opposite is true too - you can go for a long, serialised storyline, and it can work well. Like a meta-series.

Let's not forget Lex Luthor in the Superman
films

Magneto, Loki, Lex and even to an extent, the modern Scarecrow. They're being reserved for a reason. Lex in particular had been phenomenal in the old films (as much as we hate the characterisation) and was substantial to SV. But I'm glad we're getting Zod in the next film. We need fresh interpretations.

Dem goddamn montages. Always truncate a hero's journey instead of basing a movie around the journey.

Heh. Trueish? I love the hero's quest stories. You and I just disagree on the Begins format, hope that doesn't make us bitter foes :)

DC still has a lot of unexplored characters that they can commit to TV: Zatanna, Atom, Aquaman, heck even Green Arrow. I was hoping that the Sandman series took off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"