Paramount Gets Sequel Video Franchises

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Posted: Thursday March 1st 2007 12:31am
Source: Slash Film
Author: Garth Franklin

Thanks to the success of the "American Pie" low-budget direct to video sequels amongst others, the studios have been setting up divisions to do the same with long thought dead franchises.

Now Paramount has joined the fray, starting up a new division to develop and produce sequels, prequels and remakes of popular titles from the libraries of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, DreamWorks, MTV Films and Nickelodeon Movies reports Slash Film.

Amongst the titles that could be on the list: Beverly Hills Cop, Crocodile Dundee, Clueless, Collateral, Coming to America, Days of Thunder, Deep Impact, Event Horizon, Face/Off, Forrest Gump, Ghost, Grease, Indecent Proposal, Tomb Raider, Mean Girls, Mission: Impossible, School for Scoundrels, Star Trek, The Addams Family, The Brady Bunch Movie, The Italian Job, The Longest Yard, The School of Rock, and Top Gun.

It's to be expected....Disney makes millions off of lower budgeted direct to video sequels of it's movies right now too.....so seeing other studios jumping on the bandwagon was inevitable.

It's really not a bad idea at all and to be honest, I wish it wasn't just sequals. I've always thought there'd be a great market for DTV movies. Movies like Star Trek, Mission Impossible, etc really could make some really fun pulp adventures. For example the American Pie Band Camp movie wasn't bad at all, it was some entertaining fluff, and could prove to be a nice training ground for aspiring directors/writers/other film and crew.

I'm really rather torn as to whether I would like this to occur. There is definitely an argument for both sides, and I can see the validity of both views.

Ones like Face/Off and Collateral are pointless,those movies finished and the main characters died.....second string MI movies i suppose could be done but i wouldn't be interested without Cruise or the budget,i'd prefer a new MI TV series.

Yep...some of the ones mentioned aren't franchise material....but things like Star Trek universe stories with non main characters from existing series would be cool to see.

Top Gun?!
you've got to be kidding me, obviously it'd have nothing to do with the original movie but just cashing in on a franchise name. Sort of Like American Psycho 2 and don't even get me started what's all wrong about that

FORREST GUMP!!! WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!!!

Nothing is sacred anymore. I admit this is smart marketing, but come on! Some of these are not franchise material (especially the above modern classic).

Amongst the titles that could be on the list: Beverly Hills Cop, Crocodile Dundee, Clueless, Collateral, Coming to America, Days of Thunder, Deep Impact, Event Horizon, Face/Off, Forrest Gump, Ghost, Grease, Indecent Proposal, Tomb Raider, Mean Girls, Mission: Impossible, School for Scoundrels, Star Trek, The Addams Family, The Brady Bunch Movie, The Italian Job, The Longest Yard, The School of Rock, and Top Gun.

Did the people writing this article just try to find some of the most recognizable names and list them, most of these movies don't have another story to tell.

Thanks to the success of the "American Pie" low-budget direct to video sequels amongst others, the studios have been setting up divisions to do the same with long thought dead franchises.

Now Paramount has joined the fray, starting up a new division to develop and produce sequels, prequels and remakes of popular titles from the libraries of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, DreamWorks, MTV Films and Nickelodeon Movies reports Slash Film.

Oh dear god:csad: :csad: :csad: :dry:

The Brady Bunch Movie
They already have one crap DTV sequel. Why not another one?:csad:

The 3 I bolded I am thinking what the ****. We have known for a while that there could be a Beverly Hills Cop 4 with Eddie returning & we have also known about another The Italian Job movie & a possible 3rd Tomb Raider with Angelina coming back & of course Star Trek. Come on leave the 3 I bolded alone :csad:

Nothing is sacred anymore. I admit this is smart marketing, but come on! Some of these are not franchise material (especially the above modern classic).

Haley Joel Osment's teenage years

It isn't needed! We have said all we need to say in Forrest Gump. I hate this DTV stuff...despite the fact it is smart marketing. They will try to ruin any movie they can now.

:cmad:

:csad: :o

Oh ya its needed... the kid picks up where his mother left of... a pot and crack addict... then he meets a girl that tries to straighten his ass up by say Run "whatever the kids name was" Run.... then Haley runs back to his old pap (who is old enough to be recasted by some older inferior actor) for some advice and his dad says "Like I say.... life is like a box of chocolates.... neva know what ya gunna geat"... then he cleans up his act and gets an education and then his pap dies ofcourse and eventually he gets married to his new love interest and they have a baby to setup Forrest Gump the Third

Did the people writing this article just try to find some of the most recognizable names and list them, most of these movies don't have another story to tell.

I think that's what they did. The article itself says "...that could be on the list." So it's all just speculation on their part.

good lord, I'm about to go all Cecil B. Demented...

well theres going to be Lost Boys 2 and Gremlins 3.....seems theyre just milking all these 80's movies that are big...but not big enough to warrant a theatrical release.

Thing is....if they put some money into em...and a bit of imagination, alot of these movies could have good sequels.

but despite the last ten years...sequels are still generally a bad thing.

Well, there was a sequel to the original novel called "Gump & Company", but the movie version never made it out of development hell.

i wouldn't mind a direct to dvd version of JAKE2.0 or the perfect weapon

I think I'm gonna go load my shot gun now. I'm sure everyone's just dying to see a another Crocodile Dundee movie... Next we'll see Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption on that list.

The only ones I could see working are Tomb Raider and MI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"