Park Chan-wook’s ‘The Sympathizer' staring Robert Downey jr(HBO)

How The Sympathizer Pulled Off an Audacious, Ferocious Adaptation

Such unpredictability, it turns out, is precisely what you need to adapt The Sympathizer, Viet Thanh Nguyen’s Pulitzer Prize–winning 2015 novel about an unnamed Vietcong spy–slash–refugee settling into Los Angeles near the end of the Vietnam War. The book took gonzo turns toward different moods and ideas in its exploration of fraught cultural duality and the overwhelming force of Americanism. The South Vietnam–born Nguyen challenged popular narratives of the war, and more broadly, painted a fascinating portrait of a young man caught between two worlds—and far more genres. Some would call the novel “unfilmable;” others might be willing to take risks, honor the text’s spirit, and never get complacent.

I want Robert Downey Jr. to continue on this path he's been on since Oppenheimer with these sorts of roles. Look, is he great as Tony Stark? Absolutely. But Oppenheimer served as a reminder that he has so much more than that, and this trailer further proves that.

I want Robert Downey Jr. to continue on this path he's been on since Oppenheimer with these sorts of roles. Look, is he great as Tony Stark? Absolutely. But Oppenheimer served as a reminder that he has so much more than that, and this trailer further proves that.
He's good in everything, lol. I've never seen him be awful.

He's good in everything, lol. I've never seen him be awful.
This is true. But he's been playing Tony Stark and stuck in the cookie cutter Marvel machine for so long that, even with other films like The Judge or Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Oppenheimer was a reminder that he has incredible range when he's not just playing the same character for over a decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"