Petition Netflix to Make All Batman Material Instantly Available for Viewing

kmrbeckman

Civilian
Reaction score
Who else thinks that it would be a good idea to submit a formal request to Netflix to format all the Batman movies, shows, and animated series so that it can be instantly watched on Netflix On Demand?

I just think it's really lame that the only things available are Batman & Robin and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm to watch instantly and not wait the grueling 3 day turnaround to get the DVD to watch.

It appears that Netflix has no consistency to its movie database that is available to be instantly watched...this formal request would at least give some consistency for Batfans.

how about buying them...or going to blockbuster (if there's still one around you) to rent them?

The point is that if some of them are on there - why not have all of them available? Secondly, why, in an age of digital media, should I have to go to Blockbuster (which totally sucks and is not a good vendor for movies)? Thirdly, why would I buy the movies if I can access them anytime I want; if Netflix REALLY wants my business completely, then they would place all their movies available to be watched online. I may someday purchase them all, but in the mean time, I'm not interested in doing so (one reason because it's hard to find them all - I guess I could go online and purchase them, but still).

The point is a matter of efficiency...not because I can't afford them. I want my membership with Netflix to go as far as it can - plus, I really don't see that much of a cost to Netflix; other than the cost of storing them on their server.

its not up to netflix. its a copyright issue.

Well, from what I hear, it's a little bit more complex than just what someone would call a "copyright issue" - it is, you are correct, a copyright issue; however, it is a few things that are problematic: 1) the cost to Netflix for purchasing the rights to have it available electronically; 2) the legal requirements to Netflix and the privity of contract being that there may be no offer to Netflix to engage in purchasing the rights to the material; and 3) the desire of Netflix to go through the hastle and have the material available for viewing online.

I wasn't saying that it wouldn't be difficult - I'm just saying that I want to see the shows online instead of waiting; and when it's concerning BTAS that is probably like 3 DVDs for each season - I only have a subscription for two DVDs (because usually that's enough) so the whole "DVD allottment" thing doesn't really jive with my point on efficiency and availability.

Sure, you can go down to your local movie rental place if you want but riddle me this: why do you think that all those places are going out of business (even the big ones are hurting)? Because Netflix is better and more reliable.

I'm just a consumer that wants more of a good thing - that's all.

well then you can always start your own movie rental business. or just become the CEO of netflix.

Or you could add something of substance to the conversation and quit being sarcastic.

Is it really that serious. I get to watch all the movies I've bought instantly without a problem. A petition really won't go anywhere IMO. Unless you are sending them money with it to pay the fees for being able to make it available instantly. And why petition for only Batman??? There are tons of other movies that should be on there as well.

Or you could add something of substance to the conversation and quit being sarcastic.

theres nothing of substance that can be added to the conversation. if you're gonna wait on netflix to make these available for instant viewing, you're gonna be waiting a damn long time, and theres nothing you can do about that. people have suggested you either buy or rent them elsewhere, and thats apparently unacceptable to you. what do you want? (other than the world yielding to your idealized demands). and to be fair, you're solution to the netflix issue by posting a thread on an internet comic book forum, which has caught the attention of 3 people, is no more ridiculous than my suggestion to become the CEO of netflix.

Last edited:
It's not really ridiculous because I posted it in a portion of the forum that serves as a catch-all for areas where the issues can be a general matter. Also, the idea of petitioning is more of just a suggestion and to see if it would create any effect from Netflix. Moreover, the seriousness of my question is just something that I am interested in and I requested feedback from others. If you don't want to post anything, then fine - don't read it and go to another thread.

I think constructive answers that present a substantial proposal rather than just sarcastic remarks are warranted because the matter is something that I have heard other people say like for instance "Why can I watch newer movies like Pineapple Express and not some really old movies." I am posting this in my desire to watch the Tim Burton Batman movies and the animated series being that I never got my old Batman movies in DVD after VHS went away.

You can say that it is an "ideal" situation but I think that it is no more ideal than to say that I want my movie to be available when I go into a movie store and request it. I think it is the progression of the future of movie-watching and that I am asking for the progression to be slightly expedited for a particular genre that I am suggesting.

Now, you can all just constantly say "why don't you just open up your own movie store" or be the CEO of Netflix but all you are doing is just wasting my time. I opened the thread, I can ask for substantial responses; I know I probably won't get them, but I'm going to try.

I'd like to know why you singled out Batman specifically. It makes you come off as another crazy Batfan who just wants all their Batfilms at their instant bta fingertips. It should be an overall general want of all movies to be available not just the ones you want. That's what I'm questioning. Need any more construction??

No I agree - I would like ALL movies on there - but it was BECAUSE I was specifically looking the other day for Batman shows and movies on my Netflix that I thought I would bring up a suggestion to get Netflix to add more stuff to be available online. There are plenty of days where I want to watch stuff other than Batman-related shows. Heck, I would like things like Arrested Development, Two-and-a-Half-Men, and tons of other shows I watch to be available. It's more of just that I notice that some are on there and I just like that idea and I want more of that idea.

I was just fielding people's opinions about how would the best way about that be.

It's not really ridiculous because I posted it in a portion of the forum that serves as a catch-all for areas where the issues can be a general matter. Also, the idea of petitioning is more of just a suggestion and to see if it would create any effect from Netflix. Moreover, the seriousness of my question is just something that I am interested in and I requested feedback from others. If you don't want to post anything, then fine - don't read it and go to another thread.

im saying its ridiculous, not because of where you posted it on these forums, rather it seems you expect posting a petition on these forums would garner enough attention to make a difference to netflix.

I think constructive answers that present a substantial proposal rather than just sarcastic remarks are warranted because the matter is something that I have heard other people say like for instance "Why can I watch newer movies like Pineapple Express and not some really old movies." I am posting this in my desire to watch the Tim Burton Batman movies and the animated series being that I never got my old Batman movies in DVD after VHS went away.

you rejected constructive answers (i.e. rent them elsewhere, or buy them). and the reason why you cant watch certain movies on netflix was answered: not all movies can legally/contractually be made available for instant viewing. thats no shortcoming of netflix, they cant change legally binding contracts, nor can your "petition". if you never got your old batman movies on DVD....then go buy them on DVD!!!!

You can say that it is an "ideal" situation but I think that it is no more ideal than to say that I want my movie to be available when I go into a movie store and request it. I think it is the progression of the future of movie-watching and that I am asking for the progression to be slightly expedited for a particular genre that I am suggesting.

having the expectation to walk into a movie store and have any movie you want available, is an incredibly ideal, and unrealistic, situation. yes, the future of movie rentals will likely be being able to watch any movie instantly on your computer/TV. im sure that will happen one day. and im sure netflix, more than anyone, would like to pioneer that function. but its just no possible right now. your petition will not change that.

Now, you can all just constantly say "why don't you just open up your own movie store" or be the CEO of Netflix but all you are doing is just wasting my time. I opened the thread, I can ask for substantial responses; I know I probably won't get them, but I'm going to try.

the most reasonable and constructive responses possible to your issue is to go buy or rent the movies elsewhere. when you're so stubborn to reject the only reasonable resolutions available to you, dont be surprised when sarcastic responses follow.

Once again: it was a suggestion; I didn't say that it was the only probable way to get things rolling. Moreover, I think it's odd that some movies that are WB releases that are Batman movies are available and some are not; it makes little sense, to me, that the older movies are not available but the newer movie Batman & Robin is available.

I am not trying to make a big deal out of this - I just was curious if anyone knew why; clearly, the only thing you can come up with is "it's not gonna happen" or "it's a copyright issue" or "everyone has given you the constructive responses already" - none of these things answer my question.

If you say it's a copyright issue - that's conclusory; there may be a contractual issue that doesn't allow Netflix privity to the contract but why would WB allow for some material and not for others? Another thing is that you cannot just say "Well it's that so there you go - deal with it"; that doesn't answer any of my questions and it doesn't explain anything - I figured if someone had more knowledge about the issue they would expand on why Netflix can only have some Batman movies and not others in a specific manner. I guess I was incorrect.

Yeah probably - I was just making a suggestion though - I was open to other ways to get the movies more available online by Netflix but nobody really gave me another way to have the movies made available. I guess I'll just wait until they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"