Plot holes or inconsistencies in Episodes 4-6.

Duke

Avenger
Reaction score
OK. I made this thread to point out & them possibly find logical answers to plot holes I've encountered through the movies & source books.

One plot hole I encountered was the story of Davin Felth (an Imperial Stormtrooper) stationed on Tatooine patrolling the desert searching for the droids R2-D2 & C-3PO & also the stolen data plans to the Death Star.

The story goes that he was born around the time when the Empire was founded & enlisted as an eighteen year old prior to the Battle Of Yavin. Upon further reading his backstory, he appears to have a more independent nature, unlike other Stormtroopers & such.

Well, the plotholes or rather inconsistencies I found regarding him were that all Stormtroopers were supposedly cloned from one source, namely Jango Fett & weren't "born" as he was from womb. Another reason is that since all Stormtroopers supposedly come from the same source (Jango Fett), they should all have the same "voice" as Fett or Temura Morrison (actor who portrayed Jango Fett in Episodes 2-3).

I've provided a link on his backstory through Wookiepedia where you can read further upon this Star Wars character & please feel free to add input or contribute other plotholes you might encounter here.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Davin_Felth

I know I've read somewhere that all stormtroopers weren't all clones of Jango by the time of the OT, seeing as it was cheaper to just recruit regular folks.

I just took a quick read on wookiepedia and it even says that they started cloning other people as well.

Ben Kenobi calling Darth Vader 'Darth' when they fight on the Death Star.

When the film was originally released, it made sense as Darth Vader was just a name. But in the prequels, Darth becomes a title. In light of this, Ben saying, "You can't win, Darth," is nonsensical, especially as Vader calls Ben by his real first name, Obi-Wan.

When the film was originally released, it made sense as Darth Vader was just a name. But in the prequels, Darth becomes a title. In light of this, Ben saying, "You can't win, Darth," is nonsensical, especially as Vader calls Ben by his real first name, Obi-Wan.

Obi-wan called him "Darth" because he doesn't acknowledge him as Anakin Skywalker anymore. The man that Obi-wan once knew since he was a small boy was burned to death on Mustafar and now, a black-armored creature stands before Obi-wan ready to kill him with his red lightsaber.

No, I really think that, at the time, Lucas kinda made 'Darth' as a name, and not a title.

Kinda like how it felt like Tarken was running the show in A New Hope. Darth Vader essentially was a gloried henchmen with ties to Obi-Wan. And then things evolved, as it were by the next film. Also, Darth was a lot more aggressive and more hands-on in A New Hope.

I know originally it was meant as a name, but it still works now as a title. Perfect example is when someone addresses Count Dooku as Count. Or a captain as captain. It can also be seen as mocking his title, as he no longer sees him as Anakin.

Davin Felth?!? I don't think it's an inconsistency or plot hole when some fan-fiction EU writer makes a back story for an extra who had one line in the original film...

That list is absolutely terrible.

Luke Skywalker is one of the best protagonists ever. His arc through the three films is classic.

And the lightsaber fights weren't naff. They just weren't over stylized like the ridiculous prequel fights.

Apart from the Boba Fett thing, the rest of the list is complete rubbish

Luke wasn't all that amazing, he was mostly serviceable, had the films not been as good as they were, he would have been considered very boring. In A New Hope for example, he was realy bland, he got much more interesting after Vader's reveal.

The originals have plenty of problems, but Empire's ending was not one of them, if anything, i wonder how more people haven't noticed the weird timeplacement.

No, I really think that, at the time, Lucas kinda made 'Darth' as a name, and not a title.

Kinda like how it felt like Tarken was running the show in A New Hope. Darth Vader essentially was a gloried henchmen with ties to Obi-Wan. And then things evolved, as it were by the next film. Also, Darth was a lot more aggressive and more hands-on in A New Hope.

All of the above is true. The 1977 film was intended to be a standalone film: Lucas did not expect it to succeed, the studio did not expect it to succeed, and there certainly was no impetus to begin work on a sequel until the suits went "So, George...a great movie that turned out to be! When are you starting work on the next one?"

There was no Episode IV: A New Hope nonsense above the opening scroll for Star Wars, and when you watch it today, a plethora of things don't connect with aspects of TESB and ROTJ. They just don't. Vader's outranked by Tarkin in the '77 movie, and Luke's father is spoken of by Obi-Wan in a reverent tone as one of the greatest star pilots in the galaxy and a cunning warrior. Well, when Vader jumps into his TIE Interceptor (which also isn't in character with a #2 directly below the Emperor) with his two backups to go take out Y-Wings that are skimming the trench, you don't see any fantastic "piloting," just Vader shooting ships from the rear (and then he gets knocked into space and fades literally to black).

Star Wars is a fun movie. It's a very entertaining, very "1970s" science fiction yarn that owes a LOT to the two guys who edited it in post after Lucas gave them the reels.

Last edited:
Apart from the Boba Fett thing, the rest of the list is complete rubbish

Nah, ROTJ is mostly crap. The only truly good part is the Luke-Vader-Emperor showdown and preceding drama. The whole forest chase and Ewok nonsense is crap that has aged badly. That whole movie should have been rewritten but since Lucas at that point operated independently of the studio, nobody (in their right mind, anyway) told him his script sucked.

This became plot hole after the prequels were made... Obi-Wan doesn't remember R2-D2, and claims that he never owned any droid:
https://youtu.be/UQSSeVaD3w4

Why does everyone still misquote Obi-wan? His exact words were, "I don't seem to remember ever OWNING a droid", meaning he was never R2-D2's owner to begin with. He never said that he has no memory of R2.

I've always found it a bit jarring that Luke is so cut up over Ben dying (someone he met a few days ago at most) and is being comforted by Leia whose entire family and planet was literally just blown up.

Leia getting over Alderaan so quickly is probably the only real flaw I'd point to in the original film, but tonally I understand why Lucas didn't dwell on her grief. He was making a fun Flash Gordon space opera using the hero's journey framework. Ben's death is given proper weight because it relates so closely to Luke and his arc. Alderaan, though obviously a much bigger loss, is peripheral to the story.

Leia getting over Alderaan so quickly is probably the only real flaw I'd point to in the original film, but tonally I understand why Lucas didn't dwell on her grief. He was making a fun Flash Gordon space opera using the hero's journey framework. Ben's death is given proper weight because it relates so closely to Luke and his arc. Alderaan, though obviously a much bigger loss, is peripheral to the story.

I've been meaning to pick up that book called The Princess, the Scoundrel and the Farm Boy, which fills in details during ANH that clearly never made the movie. I understand it's meant to be very good.

I've always found it a bit jarring that Luke is so cut up over Ben dying (someone he met a few days ago at most) and is being comforted by Leia whose entire family and planet was literally just blown up.

Luke didn't even show that much emotion when he learned that his Aunt and Uncle died.

Why does everyone still misquote Obi-wan? His exact words were, "I don't seem to remember ever OWNING a droid", meaning he was never R2-D2's owner to begin with. He never said that he has no memory of R2.
Yeah but it's not like the way Luke and R2 were reunited. R2 doesn't even recognize Obi-Wan. The proper way to follow-up that line would've been, "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid, but I do remember this little fellow. We got into quite a bit of trouble together."

Simply, blame it on bad writing of the prequels ;)

Yeah but it's not like the way Luke and R2 were reunited. R2 doesn't even recognize Obi-Wan. The proper way to follow-up that line would've been, "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid, but I do remember this little fellow. We got into quite a bit of trouble together."

Simply, blame it on bad writing of the prequels ;)

Most people in the GFFA consider droids to be nothing more than an appliance.

Obi-Wan never did own a droid and there is no reason why he would remember this robot as being the same one belonging to his friend - I don't recall any point in the Prequels or TCW were Kenobi and either droid were in an jam together. There were thousands of R2 units in the galaxy.

Most people in the GFFA consider droids to be nothing more than an appliance.

Obi-Wan never did own a droid and there is no reason why he would remember this robot as being the same one belonging to his friend - I don't recall any point in the Prequels or TCW were Kenobi and either droid were in an jam together. There were thousands of R2 units in the galaxy.

Revenge of the Sith. He went on the mission with Anakin and Obi-Wan together. Also, Anakin and Obi-Wan got into that whole argument about R2 and how R2 was having trouble. Also The Clone Wars. They interacted plenty of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"