Python stalks and eats family's dog

Immortalfire

The Vectorman
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/Feature_Stories/Australia_Snake_Attack.html

BRISBANE, Australia — A 16-foot python stalked a family dog for days before swallowing the pet whole in front of horrified children in the Australian tropics, animal experts said Wednesday.

The boy and girl, aged 5 and 7, watched as the scrub python devoured their silky terrier-Chihuahua crossbreed Monday at their home near Kuranda in Queensland state.

Stuart Douglas, owner of the Australian Venom Zoo in Kuranda, said scrub pythons typically eat wild animals such as wallabies, a smaller relative of the kangaroo, but sometimes turn to pets in urban areas.

"It actively stalked the dog for a number of days," Douglas said.

"The family that owned the dog had actually seen it in the dog's bed, which was a sign it was out to get it," he added.

"They should have called me then, but (the snake) got away and three or four days later, I was called and went around and removed it" after the dog had been killed, Douglas said.

By the time Douglas arrived, all that could be seen of the dog was its hind legs and tail.

The zoo manager, Todd Rose, said pythons squeeze their prey to death before swallowing it whole. The 5-year-old dog would have been suffocated within minutes.

"The lady who was there threw some plastic chairs at the snake, but you've got to remember that this is about 50 kilograms (110 pounds) of aggressive muscle," Rose said.

Removing the half-swallowed dog could have harmed or even killed the python, Rose said, because dogs have sharp teeth and claws that could do the snake internal damage if it were wrenched out.

The snake was still digesting the dog at the zoo Wednesday. It will soon be relocated to the bush, Douglas said.
Geesh.

Well he at least got a good meal and a reward for his perseverance.

The snake was still digesting the dog at the zoo Wednesday.

:csad:

When you have a dog that looks like a rodent, you're just asking for it.

a family's pet becomes a member of the family. If a dog were to eat the baby it would get shot. The snake ate the family pet the snake should die.

a family's pet becomes a member of the family. If a dog were to eat the baby it would get shot. The snake ate the family pet the snake should die.

Welcome to the food chain: survival of the fittest.

Removing the half-swallowed dog could have harmed or even killed the python, Rose said, because dogs have sharp teeth and claws that could do the snake internal damage if it were wrenched out.

Boo hoo, poor snake. I would have beat that thing to death with a baseball bat.

Boo hoo, poor snake. I would have beat that thing to death with a baseball bat.

Why? Because it did what was natural and the dog was too weak to survive? The dog is dead, the snake won. End of story.

I would've tried my damn best to save the dog and certainly wouldn't have let the kids stand and watch... it says it took 30 mins for the snake to fully consume the dog, why did the owners not try to help when the attack first started? Even if the dog was a sure goner I would still do what I could to prevent it

Grab a shovel and cut the thing in half, save the dog

I would've tried my damn best to save the dog and certainly wouldn't have let the kids stand and watch... it says it took 30 mins for the snake to fully consume the dog, why did the owners not try to help when the attack first started? Even if the dog was a sure goner I would still do what I could to prevent it

Grab a shovel and cut the thing in half, save the dog

I agree. If it's attacking, step in and save the dog. If it's already eaten it there is no reason to kill it. It's not the snake's fault that it is acting on instinct. It's the dog owner's faults for finding the snake in the dog's bed and not taking care of the situation then.

I see. You're one of those people that put animals/humans at the same level as of humans. Sorry, not the same thing.

How does a snake stalk a dog for days, dogs are pretty random. Also how could no one notice a 16 foot long, 110 pound snake hanging around the house for a few days, I be calling animal control as soon as I saw the thing, well admittedly I'd probably first piss my pants 'cause I'm afraid of snakes, but would definitely call someone before changing said pants.

The dog should come back and haunt the stupid owners.

Talk about a twist on the dingo eating your baby scenario.

They saw the snake in the dog's bed and didn't call the authorities to come remove it? Dumbest...owners...ever. If the snake hadn't have gotten him then something else surely would have with dog owners that idiotic.

jag

My neighbors have those yip-yip dogs, and they get on my nerves. A lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"