Rank the Planet of the Apes films

co2

Sidekick
Reaction score
I've seen pleanty of "ranking" threads, but never one for this series. I still consider this one of the most successful sci-fi franchises. And at least the good films have always had something socio-political to say. Apes done right is a "thinking man's" sci-fi with some fantasy/adventure sprinkled in.
So with now 7 Apes related films to discuss, I'd like to know what those that have seen them thought and how they stack up. Here is mine.

Great
1. Planet of the Apes ('68)
Classic. The Apes movies are never better than when making you think, and this one does that. I think what elevates this movie is the writing of Twilight Zone creator, Rod Serling. It feels like a big budget episode of Twilight Zone. And probably one of the most famous endings in movie history.

2. Rise of the PotA
Andy Serkis and Weta make magic. You feel so much empathy for Caesar that you don't realize until the end of the film, that you were cheering for the Apes! After this movie, I see new life for the franchise.

Entertaining
3. Escape from the PotA
This is the point in the series where it takes a definite turn, and the apes become the protagonist. It is probably the most charming of the series because it has a light sense of humor..until things get very serious toward the end of the film.

4. Conquest of the PotA
This is still the darkest and most violent. It was the first depiction of Caesar's rise and the Ape rebellion. In fact, Fox edited it down from the original cut to achieve the PG rating it eventually acheived. Roddy McDowell is probably at his best here as he plays the impassioned Caesar.

Bad
5. Battle for the PotA
The series had been reduced to a pretty low budget at this point and it showed. The plot didn't have much to say. It was the last chance to milk the frnachise.

6. Beneath the PotA
Heston only did it as a favor, and only at the fulfilment of him disappearing in the beginning and dying at the end. The whole mutant human idea, came off as utterly silly.

7. Planet of the Apes (2001)
Having seen all of the Apes movies on TV as a child, I was excited at the prospect of seeing one in the theaters. I remember becoming so disapointed as the movie just grew worse and worse! So many WTF moments!

Those are my feelings. I guess the TV show could be considered canon too. The only one I have on disc is the original, but I plan on getting Rise when it is released. I thought about getting this set back when it was released just because it was an awesome collector piece, but never was willing to drop the money on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Apes-Ultimate-DVD-Collection/dp/B000E6ESG2

Any thoughts on the Apes pictures?

Last edited:
I thought Rise of POTA was fantastic and I'd love to see a new franchise that tells it's own story.

The only other POTA film I've seen is Burton's remake. I barely remember that one. I'm looking forward to seeing the original series sometime soon though

Haven't seen Rise of the POTA yet, but it sounds like a reimagined Conquest of the Planet of the Apes in a way.

My ranking in #'s would be..

1-POTA('68)
2-Rise of POTA
3-Conquest of PLOTA
4-Battle for PLOTA
5-Beneath PLOTA
6-PLOTA(2001)
7-Escape from PLOTA

1-Conquest of PLOTA
2-PLOTA (68)
3-Rise of PLOTA
4-PLOTA (01)
5-Escape from PLOTA
6-Battle for PLOTA
7-Beneath PLOTA

1 - POTA '68
2 - Rise
3 - Beneath

Escape is the worst, especially how we're supposed to believe they somehow found the ship underneath the water, fixed, fueled it, and flew it, all while the events of the Beneath were taking place. They didn't even know about the doomsday bomb either.

For the record, I don't care about any sequels but Rise. To me, there really are just two Apes movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"