Ridin’ with Biden

I think it's because Biden's campaign is "I'm not Trump" -- Biden himself is offering nothing meaningfully positive.

Obama won in a landslide in 2008, the last President to do so, because he had something meaningfully positive to offer in his campaign beyond "I'm not John."

I think a lot of it is a personality thing. Biden has pushed some important legislation through congress (not enough on infrastructure for sure, but I guess you get what you can), gun legislation (ditto WRT infrastructure), CHIPS (which wouldn't have passed if it was introduced prior to infrastructure), the rescue plan, and inflation reduction act. He's basically been hamstrung by congress, but when you compare it to Trump's signature achievement, it looks pretty good.

I think presidents get more credit and blame than they deserve. Biden doesn't have a lot of sparkle, but has done what he could. I originally supported Warren for president, but I'm not sure she could have done as much or more than did Biden.

Don't get me wrong, Biden has his faults (big time), but getting what he's gotten, when you consider the senate, has helped some. He's just kind of dull and, unfortunately, people often consider that above policy when voting.

I think the tone of his campaign is shifting and will continue to do so. I suspect as we get closer to the election, his number will improve enough to get re-elected. I know some on the left would like to see Trump win in the hope that it will cause something of a seismic shift in domestic policy down the road. It's possible that would be the case, but it's an extremely dangerous approach. I would like to see what Biden is willing to do with a functional majority in both the senate and the house, but because of the senate map this year, that seems unlikely.

Thing is offering I'm not trump is a rather stark contrast between them, i hear people say that things were pretty good under Trump, yet i cant point to anything he did that actually made anything better, he talked about infrustrature, he didnt do it, it was Biden that got that passed, it amazes me in this time we actually complain that Biden is boring yet Trump actually tried to overthrow the government to stay in office but that is less meanful than a boring President.

I think a lot of it is a personality thing. Biden has pushed some important legislation through congress (not enough on infrastructure for sure, but I guess you get what you can), gun legislation (ditto WRT infrastructure), CHIPS (which wouldn't have passed if it was introduced prior to infrastructure), the rescue plan, and inflation reduction act. He's basically been hamstrung by congress, but when you compare it to Trump's signature achievement, it looks pretty good.

I think presidents get more credit and blame than they deserve. Biden doesn't have a lot of sparkle, but has done what he could. I originally supported Warren for president, but I'm not sure she could have done as much or more than did Biden.

Don't get me wrong, Biden has his faults (big time), but getting what he's gotten, when you consider the senate, has helped some. He's just kind of dull and, unfortunately, people often consider that above policy when voting.

I think the tone of his campaign is shifting and will continue to do so. I suspect as we get closer to the election, his number will improve enough to get re-elected. I know some on the left would like to see Trump win in the hope that it will cause something of a seismic shift in domestic policy down the road. It's possible that would be the case, but it's an extremely dangerous approach. I would like to see what Biden is willing to do with a functional majority in both the senate and the house, but because of the senate map this year, that seems unlikely.
I feel the same way. I'm hopeful he will get reelected and get more good work done. :)

Thing is offering I'm not trump is a rather stark contrast between them, i hear people say that things were pretty good under Trump, yet i cant point to anything he did that actually made anything better, he talked about infrustrature, he didnt do it, it was Biden that got that passed, it amazes me in this time we actually complain that Biden is boring yet Trump actually tried to overthrow the government to stay in office but that is less meanful than a boring President.
All I can think of is the bad stuff -- the Muslim ban, child separation, covid mismanagement, attempted ACA repeal. What good did he do?

I worked at a company that imported alot from China, Trump decided he would raise Tariffs on them and start a trade war of sorts, we averaged 180 full size cargo containers per year from China, the tariffs doubled to around 10%, we ended up going to Vietnam as their tariffs were 3%, while we had a work around if not for Trump we wouldnt have had to do that to stay in business, yet i hear person after person tell me how great he was for business, but what i saw was Trumps slashing or corporate taxes, slashing environmental protections and requirements so from a business ownership perspective he was great for them but it never translated to anything more than record profits for those corporations, none of that benefited the average employee and his policies caused inflation to skyrocket, so it was a double wammy for employees, yet Biden gets the blame for Trump policies.

Last edited:

I think that what Trump is perceived as offering by his supporters is a middle finger to the establishment, and in contrast Biden is running as the establishment candidate. The lawfare strategy is part of that, it is -- no surprise -- going to rally a lot of people behind Trump, as it's widely believed among people who are not part of the establishment or near it that the justice system is corrupt. I've also heard Trump called a "chaos agent". The implication is a desperate one, the system is failing so bad, and no one has a plan to fix it, so maybe with some chaos we'll end up with better outcomes.

I personally agree with the sentiment that America is a rapidly failing and deteriorating country, however, Trump is not offering any meaningful solutions.

The "good" under Trump is quite mild.

Renegotiated NAFTA.
Made state and local taxes an itemized deduction, and capped it.
Made mortgage interest an itemized deduction.
Stimulus checks.
Operation warp speed.
Abraham accords.

That's not enough. Not even close. Meanwhile he did a lot wrong, like the lack of aid after the Puerto Rico earthquake, assassinating Qassam Soleimani, aiding Saudi Arabia in its war against Yemen, hiring John Bolton who torpedoed the negotiations with North Korea, and squandering the good parts of his tax reform on benefits for the wealthy.

Is that Trump crying for donations? :p

Should have been done a long time ago.

Should have been done a long time ago.
The high isn't really my jam, but my wife likes gummies and I occasionally go down to the store on Tuesday (25% off LOL) and buy them for her.

So far, she hadn't acted like this....although I kinda wish she would....

giphy.gif

@Ironfan72 ,

If I understand correctly, your company lost business during the Trump years due to tariffs on Chinese goods.

Are we sure these tariffs aren't good for the country?

Is your company not buying these goods from China because American companies no longer know how to make them?

For example, should we raise tariffs on Chinese cars, which are cheaper than American cars at the same price? If we allow Chinese cars they might destroy the American auto market. We'll lose not just auto jobs, but the skills that go with them. We will no longer be able to build cars, as we've lost the ability to build other things.

Or is this an industry where China has an intrinsic advantage, such as silk-based textiles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"