Road Movies!

DyeLorean

...and the plot thickens
Reaction score
I'm a big, big fan of road movies. As someone who loves to travel but money and time don't allow me to, I find this kind of movies to be a simple way of travelling through different parts of the world (and if it has a good story behind it, better).

Also, not being from the United States, I find quite fascinating all the different places and landscapes they have. The people is different, the way they talk.
I have a soft spot for those small towns in the middle of nowhere, with amazing views and good, simple people.

Anyway, do you have favorites road movies to recommend? Some hidden gem I/we might not be aware of?

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is my favourite. Candy at his best, IMO. It's probably a well known movie, but I love it.

National Lampoon's Vacation (the original) is great and Midnight Run is good too.

David Lynch's Wild at Heart is pretty crazy.

If you haven't seen Duel already, stop what you're doing and go watch it.

Other favorite road movies of mine:

It Happened One Night
Little Miss Sunshine
Death Proof (kinda)
Vanishing Point (basically, the third act of Death Proof)
And the aforementioned Plans, Trains and Automobiles and, of course, Vacation
And, I'm sorry, but the Muppet Movie.

This might help you out too:

http://www.gamesradar.com/50-greatest-road-movies/

Oh thank you! There's a couple you guys mentioned that I haven't seen. Paper Moon and It Happened One Night. I'll look for them!

Besides Planes, Trains and Automobiles, I'd also say Sideways, About Schmidt.

Oh thank you! There's a couple you guys mentioned that I haven't seen. Paper Moon and It Happened One Night. I'll look for them!

Besides Planes, Trains and Automobiles, I'd also say Sideways, About Schmidt.

You know, now that I think about it, It Happened One Night might not be what you're looking for. It's a very old movie with lots of things like rear screen projection and typical 30's Hollywood sets, so if it's American scenery you're looking for, it might disappoint you.

But it's a fantastic movie, funny as hell, and if you've seen Spaceballs, you'll really appreciate it.

You know, now that I think about it, It Happened One Night might not be what you're looking for. It's a very old movie with lots of things like rear screen projection and typical 30's Hollywood sets, so if it's American scenery you're looking for, it might disappoint you.

But it's a fantastic movie, funny as hell, and if you've seen Spaceballs, you'll really appreciate it.

Look, if it's a good movie, I'll see it anyway. But what I was looking for with this topic is movies that take place on the road, or people that have to go from point A to point B to point C.

I like that sense of journey, you know?. If it's a comedy/drama blend is right what I love, like Little Miss Sunshine, Sideways, Dumb and Dumber or Vacation, that kind of stuff. Even mystery films like Joy Ride. Or Wild, that has no cars, but she has to travel hundreds of miles. But anything that takes place on long roads through any country, is what I always enjoy watching.

I'm from South America, just to put an example but watching all those 70's american movies like Duel, with the cars, the clothes, old restaurants and bars, all that vintage stuff is just so damn beautiful to me. I'm a very nostalgic person, so anything that has rain or some sense of history behind, it pleases my eyes.

Okay, then you'd probably dig It Happened One Night as long as you're okay with movies from the 30's.

Another few off the top of my head

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, young Jeff Bridges and Clint Eastwood directed by Cimino. Great 70's film.
Paris, Texas. Maybe a little slow but beautiful acting and photography.
Five Easy Pieces. Young Nicholson and another great 70's film.
La Strada. On the road with an Italian circus in Fellini's early masterpiece.
The Hitcher. The original terrifying one with Rutger Hauer.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, young Jeff Bridges and Clint Eastwood directed by Cimino. Great 70's film.

La Strada. On the road with an Italian circus in Fellini's early masterpiece.

Oh awesome, I've never seen those two.
Paris, Texas, I saw that one very recently, like a few weeks ago. Really liked it.
Thank you!

Sorcerer (1977) Directed by William Friedkin, starring Roy Scheider

A remake of WAGES OF FEAR....it follows characters from 4 different countries (I remember 3...the US, Israel, and France) who because of various legal woes windup in the jungles of South America driving trucks loaded with nitroglycerin through the jungle to an oil well fire. The first 3rd or so of the movie follows them in their respective countries before they wind up in the jungle.

Oohh....good call. I forgot about Sorcerer. I always loved Roy Schieder.

Oh yeah, I saw Sorcerer. That part with the rain in the middle of the bridge...!
I know it has bad reputation for being a lot like Planes, Trains... but I enjoy Due Date very much.

Saw it. I really liked it. It has elements of a heist film that I wasn't expecting. I also read that it was made because of the success of Easy Rider. Beautiful locations.

Speaking of cinematography and locations, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but Mr Bean's Holiday is also a gorgeous road film. Even if you find the character annoying (which I don't, the tv series is a comedy masterclass), as far as road trips go, it feels like a hot, sunny day in Europe with some very clever twists. If you like classic british comedy and road movies, this is the place to visit.

Holy crap, Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry.

And Sugarland Express. How did I forget those?

Oh, Convoy sounds good. I'm gonna check that one out! :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"