1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Switch RUMOR: Switch Pro in the works

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by XtremelyBaneful, Nov 3, 2020.

1. XtremelyBaneful xoxxxoooxo

I think it is likely to be a half step from the Switch rather than a successor.

Nintendo Switch Pro could sport a Mini-LED display – here's why that matters | TechRadar

Iceman and Lily Adler like this.
  2. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It would be interesting to see how a Switch version that was as powerful as the Series X and PS5 would do. I'm not expecting them to aim for that but it would be interesting to see how gamers responded to that. Some would surely consider making the Switch their primary.

psylockolussus likes this.
  3. Sithborg Gundam Utena

I don't think you can do that and still make it portable. So much of the SeX and PS5 size is just for cooling. And frankly, given the large amount of development for PC versions, I think you really just need to get the Switch up just a little bit more.

Iceman likes this.
  4. XtremelyBaneful xoxxxoooxo

I agree, there is no way that a new gen console can come in handheld form. At least not anytime soon. But because we have new hardware from mS and Sony, I think it is reasonable to expect a new and beefier version of the Switch at the very least announced this year.

Iceman likes this.
  5. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    Technology is only going to advance in the neXt several years. It might sound impossible now. But who knows in the neXt ten to twenty years. Computers used to be humungous in physical size back in the old days and have very limited storage. Playstation 1 and2 needed memory cards while ps3's storage was like 55gb iirc. Cloud service also didn't eXist before.

Hopefully, in the future Sony could find a way to make slick consoles while keeping the console quiet. While Nintendo could definitely create a handheld console as powerful as the ps5 in the future. Things like these would just take time and a lot of technology advancements. But I doubt its impossible.

6. Sithborg Gundam Utena

I think physics is going to be a bit of a drawback. Frankly, making the chips and batteries the required size isn't the issue. The Xbox and PS5 aren't the size they are because of power,but because they generate so much heat, the cooling needed is quite large.

7. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    Hopefully they will figure out how to make the cooling system smaller in the future.

I was eXpecting consoles these days to be slim and slick like the new laptops, phones and TVs.

8. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

If anything I'd expect consoles to get bigger, I'm not expecting console sizes to reduce until PC's start getting smaller, and looking at the 3090, PC's aren't about to get smaller either.

#8 KillerMcQueen, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  9. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    Nanotechnology? I'm not a tech eXpert but surely in 20 years they could find a way to run these super speed consoles/pcs without generating a lot of heat.

10. Teelie Jokerface

That isn't going to happen any time soon. Heat is a problem that will keep coming up until someone invents cold fusion.

metaphysician likes this.
  11. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    I don't eXpect super slim consoles (especially Nintendo) but Nintendo is already running games like the older Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil games though probably with less impressive visuals compare to their ps3 port.

While Sony and Microsoft might not need to make consoles bigger in size everytime they launch a new console. Like I'd be surprised if Ps6 and Xbox Series Y and Z are bigger in physical size than the current gen consoles. Especially with mobile games and streaming in the game market, i don't think its a good idea if we are only to get chunky looking consoles from now on.

12. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Apparently large console size is a big turn off in Japan.

13. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    At first I liked Ps5's design because it looked futuristic but now I kinda don't like the look. Like seeing it in videos and people's living rooms/game stations, it sticks out like a thumb sore.

I'm still figuring where I am going to put it by the time I got it. And I still see a lot of comments online how big the size of the ps5 and they are saying it in a bad way.

I'm hoping companies would figure out to make smaller sized consoles. Because ps6 is obviously going to be more powerful than ps5 but does that it mean, it would also need a bigger cooling system?

14. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

The size would be less of an issue if the dang console were black again.

15. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

This. People *really* underestimate how much heat dissipation is a limiting factor for a handheld device ( or a small form factor device, period ). Hence why, to get a power increase over the current Switch, an improvement in battery technology is actually not as important as an improvement in chip efficiency. A battery with ten times the power density could make a Switch that runs ten times longer, but not one that runs ten times faster. . . because a chip that uses that power to run ten times faster would put out ten times as much waste heat. Way, *waaay* more than you could possibly dissipate safely with the Switch's form factor. There's a reason the PS4, for example, sounds like a jet engine.

Sithborg likes this.
  16. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Honestly, I think its only about 50% the size as such. Yes, handheld devices ( or hybrids that can be used as handheld ) are definitely popular in Japan. . . but I think its also very much about the types of games available. Japan just isn't on the "super mega resolution photorealism" train that so much of the rest of the world is, and that is definitely the cart to which Sony has hitched its horse.

Granted, its not all Sony's fault, as a lot of the ( Japanese ) companies who are trying to produce bleeding edge AAA content that would likely appeal to Japanese audiences, have been much much slower with production for years ( because photorealistic AAA is exponentially harder the higher resolution values go ), so you have stuff like Square-Enix taking a bajillion years to release KH3 or FF15, or Namco taking a 5 year break between Tales games. Still, the result is the same: a console that is expensive, non-portable, has fewer games of the genres and styles the audience wants, and with a clear bias against those titles in publishing and marketing. Given the choice between the latest PS and a Switch, its not a tough call. . . especially since PC gaming is, as I understand it, growing in Japan.

17. XtremelyBaneful xoxxxoooxo

the more time that passes the more I feel like this was a false rumor. With the release of the new gen consoles, Nintendo has had plenty of opportunities to announce new hardware of their own but they haven't and the regular Switch is still as popular as ever. In fact I think it was the best selling hardware for the holiday season of 2020.

18. Sithborg Gundam Utena

I'm certain they are continuing to tinker with the hardware. See, the new version of the Switch with a better battery. The thing to remember, is that it might not be the best time to release a new switch, with the old one still selling gangbusters.

19. Teelie Jokerface

And Nintendo has been going out on its own for a while now, not following the cycles necessarily. Nintendo could come out with their new Pro next year or even the year after.

psylockolussus likes this.
  20. XtremelyBaneful xoxxxoooxo

21. Teelie Jokerface

Or maybe even this year.

22. MasuraoX Registered

I'd personally like to see a Switch Pro special edition launched with BotW2. Wishful thinking I know.

23. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

I honestly don't think that's out there at all. BotW was the main title they used to sell the Switch, using the BotW sequel as the primary game to market a more powerful Switch would make a lot sense.

24. Gee Rebirth

DLSS is a game-changer on PC so this is big.

Lily Adler likes this.
  25. X Knight Straight Edge

I really hope, if there is indeed a Switch Pro, it can do something to "upscale" and improve the graphics of existing Switch games and that the enhanced graphics capabilities won't just be for future games designed for the Switch Pro.

One reason why I haven't used my Switch much is that when I have it docked and hooked up to my bigscreen 4K tv, the lower res games stand out more, especially when I am used to PS4 and now PS5 quality graphics.

Just make the existing Switch games look a little better on a 4K set is all I'm asking.