Season 5 Directors Have Been Chosen

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/15/game-of-thrones-season-5-directors/
'Game of Thrones' season 5 directors chosen
By James Hibberd on Jul 15, 2014 at 5:00PM

Who will command the Game of Thrones production army next season?

There are five directors, each charged with helming two episodes each in season 5. Back in the mix this year: David Nutter, who directed the incredible “The Rains of Castamere” episode (aka The Red Wedding) in season 3. Nutter returns to helm next year’s ever-crucial ninth episode and the season 5 finale.

Absent from the list this round: Alex Graves, who directed four episodes last season, and Neil Marshall, who scored an Emmy nomination last week for his work on the ninth episode of season 4, “The Watchers on The Wall” (aka The Battle of Castle Black). Also taking a break this season are showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who previously directed an episode each. In fact, aside from Nutter, all the directors next season are new to the show. Below is the list of Thrones directors for season 5, exclusively on EW.com:

Episodes 501 and 502: Michael Slovis (episodes of AMC’s Breaking Bad, NBC’s Law & Order: SVU)
Episodes 503 and 504: Mark Mylod (episodes of Showtime’s Shameless and HBO’s Entourage)
Episodes 505 and 506: Jeremy Podeswa (episodes of HBO’s Boardwalk Empire and Showtime’s The Tudors)
Episodes 507 and 508: Miguel Sapochnik (episodes of Fox’s House and Fringe)
Episodes 509 and 510: David Nutter (known as “the pilot whisperer” for his track record in getting pilots picked up to series; Nutter directed four epiosdes of Thrones, plus many other shows)
Lotta GOT newbies in there, I'll be curious to see what they bring to the table.

I think I know what's happening in episode nine...

Episode 9 will be
Gladiator pit fights
leading to Episode 10
setting up to Battle for Mereen

I'm unfamiliar with only Sapochnik from those names. Very excited for Slovis, Mylod and Podeswa in particular. Surprised that Graves didn't return consider he've been directing key episodes in S4 which he've handled just remarkably well.

Surprised that Graves didn't return consider he've been directing key episodes in S4 which he've handled just remarkably well.
He's either busy or D&D didn't like his comments in the press which started all the "controversy".

He's either busy or D&D didn't like his comments in the press which started all the "controversy".

In the landscape of TV nowadays GOT is just one of many high-profile directing gigs so it it could be time commitment, as much noise that was made about that scene I don't think it put him at difference with D&D. I'm thinking perhaps Weiss & Benioff just want to give other directors who's eager to direct an episode of GOT a shot, I'm sure there's a list filled with those.

Last edited:
Actually, i'd read an interview with Graves where he said he has a potential feature film gig that will keep him busy during the season 5 filming so he couldn't make the schedule work but would be back for season 6

I've been wondering why David Nutter sat out S4. I mean, I know they were prepping The Flash since, like, summer of last year, but he's done pilots every year for the last two decades, if that didn't stop him from being involved in S2 and 3, I don't see why it would've made a difference.

Actually, i'd read an interview with Graves where he said he has a potential feature film gig that will keep him busy during the season 5 filming so he couldn't make the schedule work but would be back for season 6

I see, I thought momentarily it's because of Newsroom since he loves working with Sorkin and it's their last season but if that's the case best of luck to him. Anyway still a bit bummed about Michelle MacLaren but I guess she's just high in demand or just too occupied at the moment to accommodate the series, however I'm very excited for Slovis' foray to GOT.

Like I said in the book reader's thread, I'm really surprised MacLaren isn't going to be involved in next season, particularly considering the HBO deal she just signed.

Makes me think Episode 9 will be SPOILERS [BLACKOUT]Jon's death[/BLACKOUT]. Fits with the pattern of E09's they've done so far

Makes me think Episode 9 will be SPOILERS [BLACKOUT]Jon's death[/BLACKOUT]. Fits with the pattern of E09's they've done so far

Do you think that'd be a little too soon? It's still a ways away book-wise compared to show and since it hasn't been resolved yet in the books, would it be cutting it too close to the book publication?

Do you think that'd be a little too soon? It's still a ways away book-wise compared to show and since it hasn't been resolved yet in the books, would it be cutting it too close to the book publication?

Well, [blackout]Kings Landing politics are more or less wrapped up. The only major thing left is the High Sparrow. More time for politics between the Night's Watch, wildlings, and Stannis's men. Plus the other Northern Lords and their new Warden of the North. The thing is, 99% chance Jon's not dead. The show could play it off as him being dead until season six, or they could simply emphasize the betrayal and the ensuing ****storm...because attacking the sole liason between the wildings and NW was a singular act of stupidity.[/blackout].

It's really the only big Episode 9 event in both AFFC and ADWD.

Most of Jon's ADWD material is sifting through the politics of the Night's Watch and bringing the wildlings on board, and while that was interesting to read it can be heavily cut down for TV. They may have gotten the okay from GRRM to solve Jon's death in the Season 5 finale because most fans have guessed it anyway. If they were to save it for Season 6, that would mean they couldn't have Kit Harington do any press or promotion because people would know he isn't dead, and that would be difficult since he's one of the main leads of the show.

I'm in the camp that Melisandre will sacrifice Shireen to resurrect Jon.

I think I'm done watching game of thrones. I hated the changes they made from ASOS for season 4.but If they're gonna change even more from the books... I'm done....

Well then I guess you're done, because they only have 30 more episodes to finish up the story and changes are necessary. D&D have said that more changes are coming and we know a few changes that are coming in Season 5 already due to casting and character and location announcements.

It's a shame you can't enjoy a good quality show simply because it isn't slavishly beholden to its source material.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with someone being upset or disheartened by them diverging from the source material, especially since, for the most part, the first 4 seasons have been some of the best book-to-screen adaptions conceived. It's going to be a shock to some going into season 5 and seeing that startling divergence from the books, and I there's no shame in someone being disappointed by that.

I know from my part I'm still invested in the show because as far as I know, they haven't removed Theon/Stannis/Jon's storylines from ADWD, which where in some ways my favorite elements in the entire series. But this season coming has plenty to give me concern, mainly because there's more room for D&D to mess up with their original plotlines. Dorne especially, seems like it's going to be altered quite a bit to be more....shallow, I guess. And they've somewhat removed it's relevancy given that there's no [blackout]Targaryen/Blackfyre/Golden Company scheme[/blackout]. But we'll see. I suspect the good will outweigh the bad with all the other stuff in play.

Good tv or good storytelling is good storytelling no matter how far it has deviated from the source. Sure it's gonna stink not seeing certain book stuff on screen, but that's just the way it is. And I'm certainly not saying that all the deviations will be good, but as long as this show is still good television I see no reason to abandon it for doing what all adaptations must inevitably do...deviate and adapt.

Well, I genuinely think it's arguable whether the quality of the show comes from D&D's writing or GRRM's plot/story (of course coupled with the rest of the production values) But certainly they've proven fallible in the past when it comes to how certain scenes or whole characters have been handled....often for really dumb reasons. So I think there's a lot more room for failure coming up.

I can't speak for RodneyGG, but it might be that he's hated everything D&D has done from a writing standpoint when divorced from what GRRM laid down. And if he wants to avoid seeing more of stuff that he's disliked, then I guess ASOS is a decent endpoint.

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone being upset or disheartened by them diverging from the source material, especially since, for the most part, the first 4 seasons have been some of the best book-to-screen adaptions conceived. It's going to be a shock to some going into season 5 and seeing that startling divergence from the books, and I there's no shame in someone being disappointed by that.

I know from my part I'm still invested in the show because as far as I know, they haven't removed Theon/Stannis/Jon's storylines from ADWD, which where in some ways my favorite elements in the entire series. But this season coming has plenty to give me concern, mainly because there's more room for D&D to mess up with their original plotlines. Dorne especially, seems like it's going to be altered quite a bit to be more....shallow, I guess. And they've somewhat removed it's relevancy given that there's no [blackout]Targaryen/Blackfyre/Golden Company scheme[/blackout]. But we'll see. I suspect the good will outweigh the bad with all the other stuff in play.

Well, I've been wondering if [blackout]D&D will reveal that their "Trystane Martell" is actually (f)Aegon. I can't help but think that the Targaryen/Blackfyre/Golden Company threads will be present since they're sending Varys with Tyrion, with Varys serving as a source of exposition for the audience.[/blackout]. My biggest concern now is how they will handle the "Night's King"/king White Walker.

It makes sense that we haven't heard anything about Aegon, because even releasing casting for 'Young Griff' would provoke a ton of articles spoiling his identity just a few minutes after the panel ended. The safest route is to just not say anything. They didn't with Ramsay and people were worried he was cut.

I don't see why fAegon would be cut anyway. I mean, they could just merge his story with Dany's and speed up her getting to Westeros but by doing that you lose out on so much cool stuff which the viewers would love, and replace it with something that might not be as interesting. That's my main issue with all this cutting. Not that it's happening (although it's sad) - that it just feels as if it's for the hell of it so far.

Well, I've been wondering if [blackout]D&D will reveal that their "Trystane Martell" is actually (f)Aegon. I can't help but think that the Targaryen/Blackfyre/Golden Company threads will be present since they're sending Varys with Tyrion, with Varys serving as a source of exposition for the audience.[/blackout]. My biggest concern now is how they will handle the "Night's King"/king White Walker.

I've heard that rumour too, though I not sure how much stock I'd put it into it. Might be a case of Euron=Daario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"