So, I interviewed Ernie Harwell today

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Byrd Man, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Byrd Man El Hombre Pájaro

I'm sure most out there are like "Who?" But you Detriot Tiger fans know who I'm talking about. He was the voice of the Tigers for 42 years. I got to cover Ernie Harwell Day in his hometown of Washington, Georgia. The guy is 91 years old, but you wouldn't think that if you talked to him. We talked for close to a half hour about baseball, him being the only baseball announcer ever to be traded to another team, Willie Mays, and the fact that he was calling the famous "Shot Heard 'Round The World" Game where Bobby Thomson hit that famous home run, but yet his call was overshadowed by Russ Hodges' "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!" call. Guy's a class act all around. It's moments like this that make me glad I got into journalism.

[​IMG]

:up:

2. E. Nygma 2007 NL East Champions

Ernie Harwell is one of the greatest broadcasters in the history of Baseball. I'd be happy just to meet him, let alone getting to talk baseball and interview him. What an honor. Way to go.

3. rdh007 Brit Wannabe

I hate to mix Harwell with internet speak, but...
    The above is QFT and Harwell FTW!

4. Fran Banned User

Ernie Harwell is a GOD in Michigan.

5. Byrd Man El Hombre Pájaro

Yeah. At the banquet, they said he retired in '02. In '04 somone polled the state of Michigan to see who their favorite broadcaster was. Ernie won the majority of the votes with about 48%.