So, I interviewed Ernie Harwell today

Byrd Man

El Hombre Pájaro
Reaction score
I'm sure most out there are like "Who?" But you Detriot Tiger fans know who I'm talking about. He was the voice of the Tigers for 42 years. I got to cover Ernie Harwell Day in his hometown of Washington, Georgia. The guy is 91 years old, but you wouldn't think that if you talked to him. We talked for close to a half hour about baseball, him being the only baseball announcer ever to be traded to another team, Willie Mays, and the fact that he was calling the famous "Shot Heard 'Round The World" Game where Bobby Thomson hit that famous home run, but yet his call was overshadowed by Russ Hodges' "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!" call. Guy's a class act all around. It's moments like this that make me glad I got into journalism.

ernieharwell25inhthq5.jpg

:up:

Ernie Harwell is one of the greatest broadcasters in the history of Baseball. I'd be happy just to meet him, let alone getting to talk baseball and interview him. What an honor. Way to go.

Ernie Harwell is one of the greatest broadcasters in the history of Baseball. I'd be happy just to meet him, let alone getting to talk baseball and interview him. What an honor. Way to go.
I hate to mix Harwell with internet speak, but...
The above is QFT and Harwell FTW!

Ernie Harwell is a GOD in Michigan.

Ernie Harwell is a GOD in Michigan.

Yeah. At the banquet, they said he retired in '02. In '04 somone polled the state of Michigan to see who their favorite broadcaster was. Ernie won the majority of the votes with about 48%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"