So...who's the Valonqar? (Cersei's destined killer)

The main problem I can see with that is the story would have to fast forward 9 months for that to happen, which is possible, but it would have to be some kind of epilogue after the Battle for the Dawn.
9 months? She didnt just concieve in the finale. She's likely around 2 months now. She doesnt have to go full term to die from pregnancy complications. She can deliver prematurely at 6-7 months and die then.

9 months? She didnt just concieve in the finale. She's likely around 2 months now. She doesnt have to go full term to die from pregnancy complications. She can deliver prematurely at 6-7 months and die then.

Even so, that's still a significant amount of time.

4 months? That's not that much.

The war with the Night King will not take that long. And personally, I would not want there to be a Scouring of the Shire-esque battle with Cersei after the army of the dead is defeated. To me, the Night King is clearly the end game, regardless of Cersei's scheming. Which is why I said her death would have to be in a kind of epilogue if she dies in labor. Maybe in a dungeon somewhere after Dany or Jon or whoever takes the throne from her.

As per the poll, she's not going to die in child birth or pregnancy complications, Jaime's going to kill her :woot:.

Jamie will kill her and kill himself so they will die together in a bloody shared embrace of love.

are you saying he will kill her mid bang?

Arya Stark with the face of Valonqar, aka Little brother, Cersei's younger twin brother Jamie Lannister.

The war with the Night King will not take that long. And personally, I would not want there to be a Scouring of the Shire-esque battle with Cersei after the army of the dead is defeated. To me, the Night King is clearly the end game, regardless of Cersei's scheming. Which is why I said her death would have to be in a kind of epilogue if she dies in labor. Maybe in a dungeon somewhere after Dany or Jon or whoever takes the throne from her.
Yeah, it would probably feel too anticlimactic if they tried that. I think it more likely that she dies before the very end so that all the forces including those under her command can unite with Dany and Jon.

What if the reason D&D kept this part of the prophecy out of the show was because they have no intensions of going this route to kill Cersei.

So did the prophecy come true?

To be clear, I HATED the way this whole thing wrapped up. I feel like Jaime's entire redemption arc was undone. I mean, it's not like he did anything horrible in this episode like he used to (and at least he killed Euron, who was easily the crappiest character in the show's entire run), but I thought he FINALLY had a revelation at the end of last season that his sister is a POS and his love/obsession with her is the primary reason why he's lived such an evil life. He finally broke away from her to do a good thing, and then... he tries to go back to save her. And to make matters worse, he does so out of a stupid plan hatched by Tyrion, who at this point should have REALLY stopped trying to redeem Cersei. Speaking of that plan, I don't know why Jaime ended up outside the castle walls when he did, since he was trying to sneak Cersei out the secret passage, but I guess we needed a reason for him to fight Euron.

ANYWAY, all that aside, in a way, the prophecy did kinda come true in that Cersei might have lived had both of her brothers not tried to smuggle her out of the city, because it ultimately led her to her doom. I hated how they seemed to want us to sympathize with her after all the horrible **** she's done, but bad writing is kinda the key to season 8. Still, in a roundabout way, she did sorta die because of her brother(s). So, win?

So did the prophecy come true?

To be clear, I HATED the way this whole thing wrapped up. I feel like Jaime's entire redemption arc was undone. I mean, it's not like he did anything horrible in this episode like he used to (and at least he killed Euron, who was easily the crappiest character in the show's entire run), but I thought he FINALLY had a revelation at the end of last season that his sister is a POS and his love/obsession with her is the primary reason why he's lived such an evil life. He finally broke away from her to do a good thing, and then... he tries to go back to save her. And to make matters worse, he does so out of a stupid plan hatched by Tyrion, who at this point should have REALLY stopped trying to redeem Cersei. Speaking of that plan, I don't know why Jaime ended up outside the castle walls when he did, since he was trying to sneak Cersei out the secret passage, but I guess we needed a reason for him to fight Euron.

ANYWAY, all that aside, in a way, the prophecy did kinda come true in that Cersei might have lived had both of her brothers not tried to smuggle her out of the city, because it ultimately led her to her doom. I hated how they seemed to want us to sympathize with her after all the horrible **** she's done, but bad writing is kinda the key to season 8. Still, in a roundabout way, she did sorta die because of her brother(s). So, win?

I don't think so. There was no way she would escape on her own as she was entirely lost when Jaime got to her. Jaime and Tyrion were the only ones that wanted to allow her to live. I think they just threw the prophecy out of the window, together with Jaime's character development.

Well, even though the valonqar prophecy wasn't mention specifically in the show like the books, one can argue that
it was still fulfilled.

As it's worded in the books by Maggie the Frog: "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

Cersei did drown herself in tears, and the Valonqar, a.ka. "younger brother" (Jamie is the younger than her although they're twins) did wrap his hands around Cersei's throat and metaphorically choked the life from her when he told her "Nothing matters. Only us." essentially telling her to accept death like has in that moment. We just all assumed it would be a deliberate act of strangulation, not a comforting gesture from the only person she loved. Once again, as Game of Thrones often told us, we can and never should take prophecy at face value.

The valonqar:

nxrpz9.jpg

The Valonqar Prophecy was a red herring... like all the prophecies were. Don't bother trying to interpret things just right in order to make it prophetic. Instead, take it the way the show is asking us to take it - pretty much all prophecies are crap. They can't be trusted. We were wrong to put stock in any of them. The show tricked us into acting like Stannis, when we really should have been acting like Davos.

The Valonqar Prophecy was a red herring... like all the prophecies were. Don't bother trying to interpret things just right in order to make it prophetic. Instead, take it the way the show is asking us to take it - pretty much all prophecies are crap. They can't be trusted. We were wrong to put stock in any of them. The show tricked us into acting like Stannis, when we really should have been acting like Davos.

I wouldn't agree there. What Maggy said in the show wasn't a red herring, it all came to pass. As stillanerd points out the valonqar part wasn't spoken in the show.

I think it's just a case of what D&D said themselves with some things, like Jon. They explained their choice by saying that it just didn't feel right to them at that moment. They didn't set things up to be red herrings and didn't make any dramatic consequences due to the prophecies being false. They just ignored them in part, and fulfilled them in part (as Melisandre was right all along about her own fate, for example).

What makes it even more likely is that George doesn't seem to set things up to be fake, he just has characters fail to understand them. Where prophecies have had a chance to be true they have been, this far. The show followed the books as far as it went, and only then did the showrunners seem to aim for something different. Not that I entirely rule out some prophecies in the books being false, but if so I expect some dramatic outcome from that, just like there has been with Melisandre misinterpreting the one she follows.

I guess you're right. None of the stuff about the little brother killing Cersei was in the show, in which case the witch foretold that Cersei would marry the King, that she'd be supplanted by a younger Queen eventually, that she'd have 3 children, and they'd all die. So all that already came to pass long before season 8. It seems like the one prophecy that was sort of foretold correctly (only sort of, because Margaery didn't really supplant Cersei... it was a short-lived exile but Cersei died as Queen)

As for Melisandre being right about her fate... she committed suicide... so that was an easy one to get correct. But the Prince that was Promised prophecy - total bunk at this point as far as I can tell.

The Ice and Fire prophecy is bunk, unless something changes.

Melissandre says that prophecies are dangerous things. Jon doesn't believe in visions in the flames or in the word of witches.

I think it's fare to say that a prophecy is just as likely to be right as it is to be wrong at this point.

I guess you're right. None of the stuff about the little brother killing Cersei was in the show, in which case the witch foretold that Cersei would marry the King, that she'd be supplanted by a younger Queen eventually, that she'd have 3 children, and they'd all die. So all that already came to pass long before season 8. It seems like the one prophecy that was sort of foretold correctly (only sort of, because Margaery didn't really supplant Cersei... it was a short-lived exile but Cersei died as Queen)

As for Melisandre being right about her fate... she committed suicide... so that was an easy one to get correct. But the Prince that was Promised prophecy - total bunk at this point as far as I can tell.

The Ice and Fire prophecy is bunk, unless something changes.

Melissandre says that prophecies are dangerous things. Jon doesn't believe in visions in the flames or in the word of witches.

I think it's fare to say that a prophecy is just as likely to be right as it is to be wrong at this point.

But the show did run on like the books with the prophecies mattering. They only stopped mattering (and I mean they didn't matter regardless of being true or false as nothing interesting was done either way) when the showrunners had to start writing on their own, which has turned out to not even be the same kind of story. Even looking past some choices it's just written in a different way with different goals.

But, like I mentioned before, her death was never part of the prophecy in the show. They kept that part out. They did keep everything else though. The king would have 20, and she would have 3 with golden hair, and all will die. And she would be queen for a time, until a younger, more beautiful will come and cast you down and take all that you hold dear. And what did she hold the most to her heart? Her power.

Have to give them props. They even shown that Bran can definitely see the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"