'Spartacus' Returning With Sequel/Revival From Starz/Lionsgate TV

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
It's official. Starz is bringing back Spartacus. Was a huge fan and enjoyed all the old discussions here back in the day. I loved Andy Whitfield in the first season, and I was really shocked and saddened by his loss.

Not sure what the plan is since Season 3 basically concluded the story and what they plan to do next. IMHO doesn't seem like a new series would be a Spartacus story.

LOBAL HIT SERIES “SPARTACUS” TO RETURN TO STARZ WITH NEW CHAPTER IN DEVELOPMENT
“Spartacus” Creator, Writer And Executive Producer Steven S. DeKnight To Serve As Showrunner And Executive Producer
FEBRUARY 09, 2023

STARZ announced today it is in development on a series that will expand on its groundbreaking show “Spartacus,” one of STARZ’s most celebrated brands, which aired for four seasons on the platform. The show will explore uncharted territory and new journeys of the original series’ iconic characters. “Spartacus” creator, writer and executive producer Steven S. DeKnight (“Daredevil,” Pacific Rim: Uprising) will serve as showrunner and executive producer.

In the aftermath of the defeat of Spartacus and his rebel army, the drama will depict a new tale of treachery, deceit, and blood unfolding beneath the foreboding shadow of Rome.

“It has been over a decade since ‘Spartacus’ delighted international audiences and we are thrilled to reimagine and expand this gripping, action-packed drama for our viewers today,” said Kathryn Busby, President, Original Programming, STARZ. “‘Spartacus' has deeply invested fans who are eager for its return, and we look forward to working with Steven on this exciting next chapter.”

“It’s such an incredible honor to be invited to return to the world of ‘Spartacus’ and to be met with unbridled creative support from my colleagues at STARZ and Lionsgate,” said Steven S. DeKnight. “Together we are crafting something truly unique and unusual for the next chapter in this epic story.”

“Spartacus: Blood and Sand” debuted on STARZ in 2010 and was followed by a prequel series chapter “Spartacus: Gods of the Arena” in 2011 and two additional series “Spartacus: Vengeance” in 2012 and “Spartacus: War of the Damned” in 2013.

The project will be produced by Lionsgate Television for STARZ. Executive Vice President, Original Programming, Karen Bailey and Directors, Original Programming, Giovanna Desselle and Alex Alberts will oversee the series on behalf of STARZ. Head of Scripted Development and Executive Vice President, Scott Herbst and Senior Vice President, Scripted Development, Jocelyn Sabo will both oversee for Lionsgate Television.

At the very least, Steven S. DeKnight is working on the new show.

Wow... I guess it'll be about the First Triumvirate? I'm excited though. Loved the original series.

Yeah, it'll basically just have to be the fallout of Spartcus and co's actions and how that changed things for everyone else who's still alive.

Yeah, it'll basically just have to be the fallout of Spartcus and co's actions and how that changed things for everyone else who's still alive.

If they want to make something like Gods of the Arena, it's fine with me, but it doesn't sound like it's really "Spartacus" because where is the Spartacus in it all? It's more like the aftermath of Rome. Plus, Spartacus is dead now.

If they want to make something like Gods of the Arena, it's fine with me, but it doesn't sound like it's really "Spartacus" because where is the Spartacus in it all? It's more like the aftermath of Rome. Plus, Spartacus is dead now.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it had little to do with Spartacus, but they’ll use his name because of the brand.

Maybe if DeKnight had been able to get that sci-fi show he was working on off the ground, this wouldn’t have happened.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it had little to do with Spartacus, but they’ll use his name because of the brand.

Maybe if DeKnight had been able to get that sci-fi show he was working on off the ground, this wouldn’t have happened.

I have a feeling this is probably more of a result of Jupiter's Legacy getting cancelled. Some sort of continuation or revival of Spartacus is a much easier sell to Starz than a brand-new sci-fi IP.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this is probably more of a result of Jupiter's Legacy getting cancelled. Some sort of continuation or revival of Spartacus is a much easier sell to Starz than a brand-new sci-fi I.
Damn, I even forgot Jupiter's Legacy happened. Good point about that probably being a factor for him going back to the Spartacus franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"