Sequels (Speculation) Captain America III: Fallen Son (The Death of Captain America)?

They're not going to kill off Steve this early... Maybe in Captain America 8. :oldrazz:

I'd prefer to see and adaptation of the "Red Menace" arc. Make Crossbones a full-fledged villain and also bring in Red Skull's daughter Sin.

I'm rather bemused about how many people want to see Cap killed and Bucky taking over.

I wouldn't be surprised if those people just started reading the series in this century, and have actually read more comics that feature BuckyCap slinging the shield than Steve Rogers.

Well, Buck Cap was REALLY popular. Amusingly, so was Dick Grayson Batman at pretty much the same time.

Yeah, doing the Death of Captain America has nothing to do with Evans' contract, appearance in Avengers 3 or whether or not he'll be recast.

I think doing the Fallen Son/Rebirth Of Captain America/Time Gem Storyline would be genius. It's risky, but it doesn't actually take anything away from anything. It also requires that Steve Rogers appear in every film. It also helps explore his character better when we get a very strong story point of flashbacks, and emphasizes him as a man out of time.

It would be riskier than doing an original story that only focuses on Steve, because it would require everyone to accept Bucky Cap before Cap's resurrection is revealed. Bucky would have to figure into Avengers 2 somehow for it to work. But it also sounds like the smart move, because it's one of Cap's most popular storylines, and others like Captain America No More and Man out of Time have themes that will be explored well in other films. You could go in a more War and Remembrance direction with political commentary woven through Nazi Vampires, but I'm not sure that kind of genre mixing will vibe with movie audiences as well, especially outside of a team-up film. It didn't work with Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, and believe it or not, Lincoln still has more name recognition than the star spangled avenger.

It also sets up very well for Bucky's death in Avengers 3 'Fear Itself' style, when super soldier/SHIELD director Cap has to rejoin the fight. I dunno, I see it man, it looks awesome from here.

Last edited:
I wish something like this was possible, but with Disney behind these films, no way they kill any of these cash cows. I wish they'd just go all out with these Phase films, and then just reboot them in 10 or so years. Kill characters, and just let these films breathe. I'd love to see something like the death of Cap, but I doubt it ever happens.

I wish they had the balls to do it and would love to see it on-screen but it's definitely 2-3 movies too soon. I love the fact that they're being patient with the story though and hope they don't rush the story.

Why would you love to see the heroes die? Are you like sick in the head or something?

Why would you love to see the heroes die? Are you like sick in the head or something?

Easy there, Dr. Phil.
I'd be willing to bet the reason that he (and others in this thread) would "love to see this happen" is because it's canonical, and true to one of the greatest story arcs in Captain America's history. Not because he's "sick in the head." :dry:

Easy there, Dr. Phil.
I'd be willing to bet the reason that he (and others in this thread) would "love to see this happen" is because it's canonical, and true to one of the greatest story arcs in Captain America's history. Not because he's "sick in the head." :dry:

I don't care if it was in the comics, if someone likes it when the hero dies for some dramatic element, I think they are sick. Like in Kick Ass 2, so glad they didn't put in all of that "canonical" crap of the woman being raped and the dog beheaded in the movie, it was too OTT in the comic, and would have been repulsive in the movie. Hell, there were things in Jurassic Park book I am so glad they kept out, like the mutilation of the baby. It's canon in the book, but they kept it out of the movie because it was just too sick.

I get the story is popular, but I think pursuing it in Cap 3 is a beyond terrible idea. My opinion on this won't change.

I get the story is popular, but I think pursuing it in Cap 3 is a beyond terrible idea. My opinion on this won't change.

I actually thought Cap 2 was too soon for The Winter Soldier story myself...It's like "Why does Bucky's apparent death matter if in the first year Cap is awake, Bucky comes back?" In the comic books, Cap lived with Bucky's death for probably 10 waking years.

I actually thought Cap 2 was too soon for The Winter Soldier story myself...It's like "Why does Bucky's apparent death matter if in the first year Cap is awake, Bucky comes back?" In the comic books, Cap lived with Bucky's death for probably 10 waking years.

To be fair, the backstory in the comics revolved around Steve feeling guilty about causing the apparent death of Bucky. (Let alone feeling guilty about dragging a teenager into the middle of WWII combat, but that's another story.) So the emotional resonance of the surprise Bucky-Cap reunion in modern day is lost on MCU Steve.....in the movies, it's a simple case of "I thought you were dead...." "Yeah, same here." Not much oomph to it.

Agreed, but I could understand TWS from a thematic point of view. Fallen Son I think doesn't serve any kind of purpose outside of a faulty attempt to shock people. Wrong reason to make a movie.

I'd like to see a merger of the USAgent/AntiCap, a replacement-Cap storyline with The Commission.

What if they killed him in CA 3 just for temporarily and brought him back for good in TA3?

So why exactly is The Death of Captain America considered to be the obvious choice for Cap 3? There are so many great stories to tell and villains to use. I mean, Streets of Poison, The Bloodstone Hunt, The Captain, Fighting Chance, Red Menace, Old Wounds, Powerless, etc all have Steve Rogers alive and well.

I mean, if we're talking about replacing Steve, I personally like The Captain better since it shows a dark anti-hero as Captain America and rams home why US Agent will never truly be a better Cap than Steve. This combined with villains that I want to see Captain America fight like Viper, Zemo, Bravo, The Serpent Society, Sinthia Schmidt, etc. That or a chance to bring back the Red Skull by having Hydra clone him, then he betrays Hydra and recruits Crossbones. There are too many stories that Steve should be there for.

Evans hanging up the boots in 2017? Stan up for donning the new Cap?

LINK

In a recent interview with Variety, actor Chris Evans, known for playing Captain America in Marvel's films, stated: "We can do this out loud, Avengers: Age of Ultron will shoot till August. I wouldn't be surprised if for all of 2015, we didn't do a movie. I bet that by 2017, I'll be done."

Evans only has two films left in his contract with Marvel, which are speculated to be Captain America 3, and possibly The Avengers 3 or a small role in another film, so this further fuels the idea that co-star Sebastian Stan, who currently plays The Winter Soldier, could put on the suit and go a few rounds as the star-spangled hero.

Ok so maybe not Captain America III, but what about Captain America IV...

I could and would love to see it happen, main problem with comic books is in their very nature...they don't end, so ultimately there is no finality or conclusion to the hero's arc. I would love to see sebastian stan take over from evans and become the new cap, it would make a powerful trilogy topper and change the dynamic for avengers 3, although I'd like to think if one of the avengers were to die it would be in an Avengers movie in front of them all. Maybe they can set it up for it to happen in the end of Avengers 3?

Cap won't die in Cap 3; Evans is contracted to appear in Avengers 3.

2017 is a way to go. I'm hoping he signs up for at least Cap 4.

When it is time for Cap to end, I'd rather Steve just hang up the boots than be killed.

Maybe, have a story where Steve has to fake his death, and have him walk out into the sunset.

All I have to say is, if you don't think Marvel will setup Bucky to be Cap when Evans leaves for good, you're crazy.

Marvel Studios is known for taking risks above all other things. They put their faith (and money) in actors/characters that nobody knew or would've given the time of day to, and it paid off. Exponentially so. If anything, they're probably psyched to make the transition at some point down the road because they're going to build it up, foreshadow it, and eventually have it pay off.

I'm sure all the events of TWS were planned and considered years ago, considering Marvel has already planned out the next 7 years of films supposedly. If that's true, I can guarantee you they know what direction they're heading in with the various characters. I can't say for sure that they will do "Bucky Cap" but I think it sounds fair and reasonable to assume it's on the table since Evans will eventually drop out after Avengers 3 and that Sebastian Stan has a 9, not 6, movie contract (and has only appeared in 2 so far).

Means nothing. I think recasting is more likely.

Means nothing. I think recasting is more likely.

Why recast Steve Rogers (NOBODY likes recasting) rather than just go the path of the comics and have Bucky take over the mantle?

Because of the idea that the "real" Cap is now dead? It's not like they're saying "No Evans, no franchise." They would maintain better continuity if they just have Stan take over as Bucky Cap, not to mention it's a risk and that makes it inherently more interesting by default.

If they don't use Bucky Cap, that's fine too. But I'd rather not see recasting unless we're talking reboot. As much as I like Don Cheadle (one of the only great things about Iron Man 2 and 3), I was annoyed to see them recast Terrence Howard as Rhodes. Ruffalo taking the place of Norton would've bothered me but I think I was too busy geeking out over the fact Avengers was even being made.

At this point I think it would be beyond goofy to have new people in place of Cap and Iron Man (if not even more members of the team) while some remain the same actors, without a story-based reason. It just seems jarring and ruins the cohesiveness of the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"