Store closing out, what can you tell me about these titles?

Elijya

Avenger
Joined
Aug 16, 2003
Messages
38,215
Reaction score
0
Points
31
Hey, in case you guys didn't hear, all Sam Goody retail outlets are closing down. Sam Goodies have always had a huge selection of anime, and now they're liquidating everything in their stores with 70% discounts. I got a whole bunch of stuff the other day, but there's tons of anime I know the names of, but know nothing about (in terms of the animes plot, or quality)

there were dozens of titles, and I don't rmemeber most of them, but what can you guys tell me about

Full Metal Panic
DNAngels
Noir
Madlax
Chrono Crusade
Appleseed
Cromartie High School
RahXephon
Fire and Ice (that's American, but it's in their anime section)
Final Fantasy Unlimited
Samurai Gun


I don't need an essay describing each of these, just a few details if you can share about any of them. I'm generally not into cutesy stuff (they had tons of inuyasha, but I've no interest, also intial D) I just wanted to know if any of these are worth going back and getting, since they're relatively cheap
 
You should definitely pick up Fire and Ice. If you're an animation fan, you probably know who Bakshi is, and Fire and Ice is definitely his most elegant project produced. If you like Frank Frazetta, you should pick up the DVD as the point of the movie was to collaborate with Frazetta and put out a Frazetta-ish animated feature. The DVD also comes with a documentary of Frazetta called "Painting with Fire" which is pretty good, and for any comic book enthusiast is a damned joy to watch.

If the Appleseed DVD is the OVA from the 80's, pass. If it's the version released a year or two ago, you might enjoy it. A lot of people had trouble with the simplistic cell shaded character designs juxtaposed against the fully rendered objects that make up the rest of the world. It's true that the characters show little facial emotion and move awkwardly when not fighting, but the fight scenes are quite good. I pop the DVD in now and then to watch some of the more spectacular sequences. Here's the trailer:

http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/trailers/toho/appleseed_large.html


Full Metal Panic
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=497
 
Elijya said:
Hey, in case you guys didn't hear, all Sam Goody retail outlets are closing down. Sam Goodies have always had a huge selection of anime, and now they're liquidating everything in their stores with 70% discounts. I got a whole bunch of stuff the other day, but there's tons of anime I know the names of, but know nothing about (in terms of the animes plot, or quality)

there were dozens of titles, and I don't rmemeber most of them, but what can you guys tell me about

Full Metal Panic
DNAngels
Noir
Madlax
Chrono Crusade
Appleseed
Cromartie High School
RahXephon
Fire and Ice (that's American, but it's in their anime section)
Final Fantasy Unlimited
Samurai Gun


I don't need an essay describing each of these, just a few details if you can share about any of them. I'm generally not into cutesy stuff (they had tons of inuyasha, but I've no interest, also intial D) I just wanted to know if any of these are worth going back and getting, since they're relatively cheap

Fullmetal Panic is one I would definitely reccomend.

I read some of the DNAngel manga and it really sux. Dunno if the Anime is bad or not.

Cromartie is halarious and you should hoard all that you can find.

Rahxephon is pretty good as well, but I would only pay for it if was dirt cheap.

Don't know bout the rest. :D
 
70% discounts?! Wow. I think I may have to go to the mall soon.
 
full metal panic is one of my personal favorites I suggest picking that up 's about an elite organization outside of the military. They send one of their soldiers to protect a young girl who is valuable to their research and alot of funny stuff ends up happening in the first few episodes but they take on a much more serious note about midway through the series. <--- i suck at describing stuff :x its got lots of cool mecha action sequences in it though
 
I agree. Full Metal Panic is definitely worth getting.
 
eh, I'm wary of comedy anime. Trigun had some cute elements as, does DBZ and FMA. Some Tenchi, Ranma, and Excel Saga I've seen also are kinda cute, but generally "funny" animes don't appeal to me
 
they did have a ton of Chrono Crusade and Final Fantasy Unlimited, so those are the I think will be the most likely to be there if I return. Any opinions on those?
 
Elijya said:
eh, I'm wary of comedy anime. Trigun had some cute elements as, does DBZ and FMA. Some Tenchi, Ranma, and Excel Saga I've seen also are kinda cute, but generally "funny" animes don't appeal to me
Its really not a funny anime.. its indirect sequel Full metal panic fumoffu is a general comedy. I can tell you its more serious than dbz/tenchi/ and trigun. it just has alot of great comedic moments in the first few episodes.
 
Elijya said:
they did have a ton of Chrono Crusade and Final Fantasy Unlimited, so those are the I think will be the most likely to be there if I return. Any opinions on those?

Final Fantasy Unlimited is about a couple of kids who get stuck in a Fantasy type world. Don't think it's your cup of tea.

I watched a couple of episodes of RahXephon, and it just seemed like another mecha program in the wake of Evangelion. A lot of the music and sound cues seemed directly lifted from Evangelion too.
 
WallCrawl said:
Final Fantasy Unlimited is about a couple of kids who get stuck in a Fantasy type world. Don't think it's your cup of tea.

I watched a couple of episodes of RahXephon, and it just seemed like another mecha program in the wake of Evangelion. A lot of the music and sound cues seemed directly lifted from Evangelion too.
I remember seeing a couple episodes of FFU back in the day... I thought it was stupid but that's just me. BTW does this mean that suncoast and musicland are closing down too?
 
WallCrawl said:
Final Fantasy Unlimited is about a couple of kids who get stuck in a Fantasy type world. Don't think it's your cup of tea.

I watched a couple of episodes of RahXephon, and it just seemed like another mecha program in the wake of Evangelion. A lot of the music and sound cues seemed directly lifted from Evangelion too.

ya it's really similar. instead of fighting angels they fight dolems.
 
SsM said:
I remember seeing a couple episodes of FFU back in the day... I thought it was stupid but that's just me.

I've never seen it, but I haven't heard great things
 
I loved the Appleseed movie. :up:
It's one of those movies that you either like or you don't, though. :( However, I suggest you try it.
 
SsM said:
I remember seeing a couple episodes of FFU back in the day... I thought it was stupid but that's just me. BTW does this mean that suncoast and musicland are closing down too?
word I heard was Suncoasts are remaining
 
hippie_hunter said:
Is there any Sam Goodies in Long Island :eek:
well, LI's a big place, but at least accoridng to Google Earth, there's 5 on the western half of the island, and another three around stamford and the NY/CT border. Dunno if any of those are in easy driving distance of you

the store near me is now in it's "last ten days". I don't know if all the stores are on the same shutdown schedual. I suggest you crack open a phone book, locate these stores, call em, see how much longer they're open til and what their current close out rate is.

I went in one yesterday and walked out with about 6 dvds and ten video games and only paid $140. Brand new $50 games suddenly became $15, it was great

Pickings ARE getting slim though, but I would definitely say it's worth a road trip if you've got some extra cash to use on some great bargains
 
Elijya said:
word I heard was Suncoasts are remaining

You sure? The suncoast near me shut down about a month or so ago :(
 
one near me was shutting down, but I talked to the manager and he said it was just them taht was being included because their rent's too high. But I know of one other near me that's staying where it is
 
ah, the rent issue is probably the case with the one the closed here too :( still makes me sad though, I got some great stuff from there
 
I don't know about the anime, but the Chrono Crusade manga is pretty damn good. I haven't finished it yet, but from what I've read so far I've really enjoyed it. I read somewhere that both are relatively the same, except the anime takes on a more serious tone.

And yah, Appleseed is deffinately worth a buy, especially if its cheap.
 
Full Metal Panic ... defitnitly a must have. See if they the Fuffumo ? series. That's funny as hell.

DNAngels ... good romantic series. Buy if you don't mind the slow pace that the story is told ... buy it.

Madlax ... this one's good. Chick with gun. Can't go wrong with that combination.

Chrono Crusade ... Nuns with guns hunting down the demonic beings of the world. One of the saddest endings I've see :( Defitnitly a must buy.

Cromartie High School ... the male version of Azumanga Daioh. Hella funny.

RahXephon ... it's good. It's basically EVA with a much newier look.
 
I prefer the original FMP! over the more comedic FMP?:F
 
Elijya said:
well, LI's a big place, but at least accoridng to Google Earth, there's 5 on the western half of the island, and another three around stamford and the NY/CT border. Dunno if any of those are in easy driving distance of you

the store near me is now in it's "last ten days". I don't know if all the stores are on the same shutdown schedual. I suggest you crack open a phone book, locate these stores, call em, see how much longer they're open til and what their current close out rate is.

I went in one yesterday and walked out with about 6 dvds and ten video games and only paid $140. Brand new $50 games suddenly became $15, it was great

Pickings ARE getting slim though, but I would definitely say it's worth a road trip if you've got some extra cash to use on some great bargains

I'll be going to Long Island Sunday night, I must go there then and pick up some cheap anime. Maybe I can get the entire .hack//sign series for a low price or Inuyasha :up:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,443
Messages
21,728,199
Members
45,555
Latest member
HvntyBvnty
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"