Comics SUPERMAN TODAY: Golden Age vs. Modern

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
If we haven't heard it, we know that Superman is a cultural icon, still an american hero but a hero to the world. His symbol of hope, courage and what it means to be a hero. But one of the things I, like many, have heard which can be considered a flaw is that it is difficult to relate to him. Or be him for real.

This is true when people read other comic book superheroes and compare them to Superman. An adult can read and relate to Batman as much as kids and teenagers can live the same lives as Spider-Man. But Superman, the man of steel, the man who can do anything, is someone who can symbolize but can never be him at all. That can be considered a flaw.

From that you can go back and look at Superman from previous years and see all the previous versions. Yet, there is one version that could be said, never had any problems in relation: the Superman of the Golden Age.

When you look back at those old issues, you don't see the Superman of today. He is not the boy scout we know him to be. When he wants answers or to wants a bad guy to do something, he scares them by holding them by the leg and leaping skyscraper to skyscraper. He was the spirit of the people as he fought against currupt landlords, dicators, wife beaters, etc.

One of the biggest is the superpowers he had back then. Similar to now, his superpowers were grounded to physical. He only leaped, when he started he couldn't deflect bullets (as seen in Action #1), and his super speed was on the level as a speed of a train. Then as new powers came, they were still grounded. For example: when he flew, it was less of a superpower and more like a skill. He would have to still jump to take off instead of now where he's flying like that "snap". And he would have to control himself in the air like he was controlling a plane, and it was like an extended jump when he was in the air.

But despite the realism of the Golden Age Superman, many people still love the modern one. In that he can do anything, still with limits of course, that people could say thats what a SUPER-MAN is and what he needs to be and should be, even today. Which leads to this topic.

Which version is better? Superman of the Golden Age or the Superman of today? If you would, pick the one you like more than the other and discuss if, in today's world, could the Golden Age version still work or is the modern version what Superman needs to be, always?

Discuss.

I preffer the Golden Age one myself, but modern superman is still fun

I don't see how being too powerful or not powerful enough has any relation with whether or not the reader can relate to the character. And if we're talking "realism," we shouldn't be talking about a story where the main hero is a super-strong super-fast alien who by staggering coincidence looks exactly like a regular human.

And personally, I find it a lot easier to relate to the Modern Superman (who actually tries to uphold his principles and questions his own actions in morally ambiguous situations) rather than the Golden Age one (who terrorized criminals like a second-rate Batman and tossed enemy fighter pilots to their deaths without a second thought)

Andy C. said:
I don't see how being too powerful or not powerful enough has any relation with whether or not the reader can relate to the character.

It doesn't.

The problem with Superman being too powerful is that there is no suspense in the story. There's no chance he won't rescue Lois is time, won't catch whatever is going to fall on her, can't defeat the new supervillain in Metropolis.

On the plus side, the more powerful Superman is, the more epic the challenges he has to overcome.

Ah, but if he is too powerful, then it would not make any sense for him to find a worthy threat on Earth. If he can push around planets and sneeze galaxies out of existence, Metallo, The Toyman, and The Parasite aren't going to be any sort of challenge for him.

Anyway, I think both versions of Superman have their good parts. I think that Superman over the last 20-30 years has been fleshed out more as a character, but I do miss the more socially conscious Superman of the 30s and 40s.

The Question said:
Ah, but if he is too powerful, then it would not make any sense for him to find a worthy threat on Earth. If he can push around planets and sneeze galaxies out of existence, Metallo, The Toyman, and The Parasite aren't going to be any sort of challenge for him.

I never suggested he be that ridiculously powerful. He is SuperMAN, not Galactus. He's more powerful than a locomotive, not a million nuclear explosions.

Superman should be in the same strength league as Thor, Juggernaut and the Hulk. I believe he's actually stronger than any of them according to various crossovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"