Syfy Preps '3001: The Final Odyssey' As Miniseries

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2014/11/3001-th...clarke-miniseries-syfy-scott-free-1201272297/
Arthur Clarke’s ‘3001: The Final Odyssey’ Set As Syfy Miniseries From Scott Free
by Nellie Andreeva

Forty six years after the release of Stanley Kubrick’s groundbreaking 2001: A Space Odyssey, based on the opening novel in Arthur C. Clarke’s Odyssey series, the final book in the series is getting a screen adaptation. Syfy has put in development 3001: The Final Odyssey, a miniseries based on the fourth and final Odyssey book. The deal comes on the heels of Syfy recently greenlighting a miniseries adaptation of another Clarke classic, Childhood’s End.

3001, from Scott Free Prods. and Warner Horizon TV, is described as an epic story of a man lost in time and dark thematic meditations on the final fate of all Humankind, It begins with the discovery of Frank Poole’s frozen body, floating in space, and resolves the tale that started in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Feature writer Stuart Beattie (Pirates Of The Caribbean, Collateral) will write the adaptation and serve as executive producer along with Scott Free’s Ridley Scott and David W. Zucker. Clayton Krueger will serve as co-executive producer.

Clarke’s Odyssey series spanned over 30 years, with the initial publication of 2001 in 1968, and the final 3001 in 1997. The opening book was immortalized by Kubrick’s 1968 feature adaptation. The second book, 2010: Odyssey Two, was the only other of the novels in the series to be brought to the screen as a 1984 movie directed by Peter Hyams. The 3001 adaptation is being done with the blessing and support of both the Kubrick and Clarke estates.

“I have always been a fan of Clarke’s extraordinary ‘Odyssey’ series, and certainly Kubrick’s adaptation of 2001. I am thrilled to be part of bringing that legacy to audiences and continuing the great cinematic tradition that this story and its creators deserve,” said Ridley Scott.
Syfy's push to be taken seriously again continues.

What about 2061?

Damn, syfy, you are reaching for the stars, it seems.:up: Pun intended.

I know that the director of the second movie (sorry that I'm blanking on his name at the moment) got Kubrick's personal blessing to make his film. So I'm not surprised that Kubrick's estate is ok with this. Hopefully it'll be good, Syfy needs another hit to be taken seriously again (although I quite like Lost Girl).

Lost Girl isnt a Syfy production. Its a canadian production that Syfy just broadcasts here in the states. Poorly and months after its been out in Canada I might add. Besides Lost Girl only has one season left afaik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"