Tablet advice

I wouldn't get a Kindle Fire for the simple notion of how restrictive the Amazon Marketplace is. You're not getting the full experience. The Nexus 7 is the way to go. Want to read? Just download the Kindle app. The only thing the Fire has over the Nexus 7 is memory and HDMI out (which I think is only available on the 8.9 version).

No problem. The HDMI out is actually on every version of the new Kindle Fire.

Microsoft Surface and Surface PRO Production Prices

Microsoft-Surface-RT-tablet-said-to-come-below-399-Surface-Pro-starting-at-500.jpg

Sources from the supply chain have estimated the production price of the Microsoft Surface RT tablet with free Office 2013 edition to be in the $300-$400 realm, depending on the configuration, and concluded that the final starting price will be below $399.

This jibes with Steve Ballmer's comment the other day that the Surface tablets will cost about what the current average range for PCs is - $300-$800.

As for the Intel-based Surface Pro tablet that can run full-blown Windows 8 with legacy programs support, its bill of materials is climbing up $100-$200, depending on the version, and is hence likely to be sold in the $500-$700 price range. We should know the exact tag at the end of next month, when the official launches of the Windows 8 family is.

Wal-Mart to Stop Selling Amazon Kindles

Wal-Mart-to-stop-selling-Amazon-Kindles.jpg

Following an announcement from Target earlier this year, Wal-Mart communicated in a memo to store managers that the mega-retailer would not sell Amazon tablets and e-Readers beyond current inventory or committed orders.

While Wal-Mart rules the roost in retail sales, the company does not have the presence online compared to Amazon. Since the Amazon Kindle Fire and Fire HD make available the whole array of Amazon products and services, which include clothes, appliances, and the like, Wal-Mart made a business decision to remove that “competitive” product from their shelves.

Target made the same move this past spring. Like Target, Wal-Mart intends to continue selling other tablets and e-readers , like the Google Nexus 7, Apple iPad, and ironically, the Barnes & Noble NOOK. It should be noted that all of the aforementioned devices enable its users to do at least everything the Amazon Kindles do, or more. So, while we see the business decision being made in terms of Amazon being the mega-online-retailer versus the brick and mortar Wal-Mart and Target stores, it does seem a little off the mark since customers do not typically make their shopping decisions based off a single factor.

In checking out Wal-Mart’s web-site (and its big-box-retailer Sam’s Club), the Amazon Kindle has been removed and when searching for it, in its place are some accessories and competing tablet products.

Given Amazon’s standing compared to other retailers, this move overall does not come as a surprise. In the US there have been a number of back-and-forth political and public relations campaigns with regards to sales tax revenues, which gives some elements of Amazon’s partners an edge over brick and mortar stores. Though, if a retailer the size of Wal-Mart singles you out as competition, Amazon can probably take that as a hint that they are doing something right.

So I finally got my Nexus 7 today and so far it's fantastic. I've watched some TV on it, flicked through a book, read some comics and loaded it with my music and some TV shows and films for my next long journey.

I think it might be the best things I've bought in ages.

Barnes & Nobles Unveil New NOOK HD Tablets

Barnes---Noble-unveils-new-Nook-HD-tablets.jpg

It wasn’t long ago that Amazon unveiled its new Kindle Fires, and now it was Barnes & Noble’s turn to compete with new devices of its own. It’s done just that. Today, Barnes & Noble announced the Nook HD, a family of very affordable tablets with high-resolution screens and upgraded internals coming in a 7-inch and 9-inch flavor.

The Nook HD is the “lightest 7-inch tablet on the market,” and B&N didn’t hesitate to point out why it’s better than the Kindle Fire and the Google Nexus 7. First, getting the weight to merely 11.1 ounces (315 grams) is definitely something you’d appreciate when you have to hold the tablet for longer. In comparison, the Nexus 7 is 12 ounces and the Fire HD is 13.9 ounces.

Next comes the Nook HD screen. HD here stands for the whopping 1440 x 900 pixels of resolution, or 243ppi, definitely beating the Nexus and Fire HD.

The other member of the family is the Barnes & Noble Nook HD+, a 9-inch tablet with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Again, it's the lightest in its class weighing merely 1.13 pounds (515 grams).

Both tablets share a new dual-core TI OMAP 4470 processor. On the 7-inch Nook HD the processor clock speed is set at 1.3GHz, and on the HD+ it’s at 1.5GHz. Both also get 1GB of RAM. The devices also feature stereo speakers with SRS TruMedia audio, which are reportedly blasting at full volume with little distortion.

Battery life also looks pretty solid at more than 10 hours of reading on a single charge, or around nine hours of video playback.

There is one catch, though, and that’s of course the software. The new Nook HD tablets are based on Android 4.0, but you probably wouldn’t be able to tell as the Barnes & Noble skin on top of it is very heavy. You’re basically getting a device to access the B&N ecosystem. Sadly, that means no Google Play, but instead a curated B&N app catalog. On the plus side, getting in the ecosystem means easy access to books and other B&N stuff, and on the downside, you don’t quite get the full Android experience.

Is this tradeoff worth it? The devices defeinitely have luring prices. The Nook HD and HD+ release date is set for the end of October. Here is how the prices break down:

• Nook HD 8GB (expandable memory with microSD card slot) -- $199
  • Nook HD 16GB (expandable memory) -- $229

• Nook HD+ 16GB -- $269
  • Nooka HD+ 32GB -- $299

I need a Tablet!! I hate my 17.3" laptop.. lol. I'll be getting a Galaxy soon. ^.^

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"