Comics The Amazing Mary Jane

UltimateWebhead

Black's the new Red&Blue
Reaction score
MARYJ2019001-cov.jpg

SPINNING RIGHT OUT OF THE PAGES OF AMAZING SPIDER-MAN! “YOU JUST HIT THE JACKPOT!” ALL-NEW ONGOING SERIES! The web-head’s favorite redhead (and yours!) is taking a chance on her dreams. But if you’ve read ASM #25, you’ll know MYSTERIO is behind Mary Jane’s big shot, and someone worse is behind him! What’s real and what’s illusion, what’s illusion and what’s Hollywood phoniness? This fall, Leah Williams (AGE OF X-MEN: EXTREMISTS; GIANT MAN) and Carlos Gomez (UNCANNY X-MEN ANNUAL, Red Sonja) bring you all this intrigue plus more action, glamor, grit, and – we’ll say it – sass than anyone’s previously dared fit in five fabulous issues! Face it: you don’t wanna miss this!

It's a 5- issue mini to start. If sales are high enough, they will continue it as an ongoing.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean, the last Mary Jane series was really good, but they killed it because of OMD. "Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane" doesn't make sense when you've just literally had him forget he loved her...

I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean, the last Mary Jane series was really good, but they killed it because of OMD. "Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane" doesn't make sense when you've just literally had him forget he loved her...

Tis true. OMD killed lots of things, most of all, people's interest in Spider-Man comics.

"We're big fans of Mary Jane," Nick Lowe at SDCC. Things are different now. If this series ends up being lackluster it won't be due to a lack of appreciation for MJ's character.

I wasn't expecting a series like this and I'm cautiously optimistic as well but, I'm excited about it all the same.

Add me to the cautiously optimistic group
On this one. I’m a huge MJ fan which is one of the many reasons OMD and BND was so damn hard to stomach. I think I will wait for reviews on this one though. If I like what I’m hearing I will no doubt be jumping on board. ASM 25 definitely showed that she can carry her own story which is something I already knew.

I’m very interested in seeing how this turns out. I feel it’s kinda like Lois Lane mini series

This book came out today, I had been anticipating it for a while and it did not disappoint. I don't want to spoil here but MJ is in a very interesting situation and the end of the issue leaves me excited to see what happens next.

Issue was good. I fear that it will be too similar to the Black Cat series in a sense. Hoping that the stakes raise a bit in this book and it doesn’t go too far into the comedy angle because I’m getting that itch scratched by the BC solo at the moment. Marvel has really done a fantastic job of writing MJ lately. Weirded out by Peter seemingly ok with MJ working with Mysterio. That just seems off on so many levels...Still a fun read though and fantastic artwork.

Issue was good. I fear that it will be too similar to the Black Cat series in a sense. Hoping that the stakes raise a bit in this book and it doesn’t go too far into the comedy angle because I’m getting that itch scratched by the BC solo at the moment. Marvel has really done a fantastic job of writing MJ lately. Weirded out by Peter seemingly ok with MJ working with Mysterio. That just seems off on so many levels...Still a fun read though and fantastic artwork.

So you may have misread that. She never told Peter she was working with Mysterio.

The phone call shows that he knows its a movie ABOUT Mysterio, but he still thinks its this guy called Cage McKnight making a movie and it's all normal actors playing the parts. MJ is keeping the fact that Mysterio is actually behind all this from Peter at this point....

Will be interesting to see what happens when he eventually finds out.

Issue #1...

MJ gets her own series, it shouldn't have taken this long. Honestly, she's one of, if not the best supporting characters in Marvel. The characterizations here are on point. The only thing I'd say that bugged me a bit was the meta dialogue going over the struggles of women in Hollywood. Not that I don't feel like women deserve better, it was just a little too on the nose...preachy. I dunno maybe it's just me. Outside of that minor thing, I felt it was firing on all cylinders. MJ is smart, sassy and witty and she got to display all of that. And of course the interaction between her and Peter was great... there's no denying they make an awesome couple. And outside of a few weird looking panels, the art was really enjoyable. Looking forward to issue 2.

So you may have misread that. She never told Peter she was working with Mysterio.

The phone call shows that he knows its a movie ABOUT Mysterio, but he still thinks its this guy called Cage McKnight making a movie and it's all normal actors playing the parts. MJ is keeping the fact that Mysterio is actually behind all this from Peter at this point....

It's an interesting twist. Normally you have Peter dealing with something and it's about when does he tell MJ about the trouble. So I wonder at what point does MJ decide to tell Peter who is really behind this production. The final page ups the tension and you gotta remember that Kindred is really the one behind this whole deal. When Mysterio says I don't know how much time I have, you know who he's referring to.

Ah ok. I’ll have to re read the issue again. Thanks for the clarification then. Makes much more sense lol

The artwork was brilliant! I honestly expected a total cop-out! Instead, they give us a ho-hum Ramos cover and gorgeous interior artwork! What gives? Why not let that guy do the covers?!?!

I'm hoping this is good, too, but MJ trusting Mysterio is stupid of her. She should be smarter than that.

This pains me....deeply.
Seriously words can’t describe the agony running through my soul as I type this. I wanted to like this issue so much and yet....utter mediocre trash. The only reason why I won’t go as far as to say f*ucking trash is because of my loyalty to MJ. She deserves better then this. I was concerned this book would get too silly and right on cue it did. I didn’t really find any of the humor funny and was a struggle to get to the end. There’s literally no point to this book...

Issue was so just so damn pointless and bland. Watching her interact with Mysterio is also so weird and pointless .....

Needless to say....My girl doesn’t deserve this treatment.

Issue 2...

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really enjoyed this.

This issue represents everything I love about MJ. She's showing skill and savy in keeping the production on track. At this point it's unclear if Mysterio is trying to sabotage the movie on purpose, like he's being controlled or if he's just that inept. But MJ is the one smoothing things over, playing politics, doing PR work. It's clear that she is the guiding force of this film. She's gets the equipment to stay, helps find funding and manages to keep Mysterio under control. She's absolutely working Mysterio here, and I doubt even he knows it. Like if MJ had a superpower, this would be it. Her ability to handle multiple tasks... the world is crashing down around her and she's as cool as a cucumber.

Honestly, this kind of feels like an evolution of MJ's "Party girl" where her facade was keeping a smile on her face, maintaining control and letting everyone think she's happy and unbothered by whatever bad news is coming down the pipe. She's defusing situations with her personality and a few carefully chosen words, and preventing others from self sabotage. MJ shows a remarkable amount of wit and intelligence in this issue, and not the type you normally see celebrated in fiction.

Issue 2...

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really enjoyed this.

This issue represents everything I love about MJ. She's showing skill and savy in keeping the production on track. At this point it's unclear if Mysterio is trying to sabotage the movie on purpose, like he's being controlled or if he's just that inept. But MJ is the one smoothing things over, playing politics, doing PR work. It's clear that she is the guiding force of this film. She's gets the equipment to stay, helps find funding and manages to keep Mysterio under control. She's absolutely working Mysterio here, and I doubt even he knows it. Like if MJ had a superpower, this would be it. Her ability to handle multiple tasks... the world is crashing down around her and she's as cool as a cucumber.

Honestly, this kind of feels like an evolution of MJ's "Party girl" where her facade was keeping a smile on her face, maintaining control and letting everyone think she's happy and unbothered by whatever bad news is coming down the pipe. She's defusing situations with her personality and a few carefully chosen words, and preventing others from self sabotage. MJ shows a remarkable amount of wit and intelligence in this issue, and not the type you normally see celebrated in fiction.

There’s this moment in a comic book fans life....

We’ve all experienced it....

It’s that moment when you hate an issue yet someone else loves it and you end saying to yourself “Did we read the same issue?”

Lol I’m having one of those moments now....:oldrazz:

It’s that moment when you hate an issue yet someone else loves it and you end saying to yourself “Did we read the same issue?”

My first comic I read like that was All Star Batman & Robin #2. It was garbage. Well-drawn garbage, but garbage nonetheless. People raved about it. Now, people came around to my way of thinking. It was hot garbage with a hot garbage garnish.

Oh yes, lol, I've been there.

I may be a bit biased in that I love MJ and want this comic to succeed but I truly enjoyed this last issue.

It feels as though MJ is continuing to evolve. She's always had strength to her and this story has it on display.

Oh yes, lol, I've been there.

I may be a bit biased in that I love MJ and want this comic to succeed but I truly enjoyed this last issue.

It feels as though MJ is continuing to evolve. She's always had strength to her and this story has it on display.

Well, I haven't picked it up, but that's more for budgetary issues. Christmas is coming...

Issue 3...

This one is a bit of a letdown. After the hot start with issue 1 and I guess my minority view of the great character work in issue 2, this issue doesn't come close to either of those.

It's not terrible mind you but it could have been better. I feel like MJ took the back seat in this issue and while that's not always a bad thing, it was for me. And I totally expected the story to play out much differently. Without spoiling anything I was totally under the impression that MJ was going to somehow use her wit to get the Savage Six to join the production of the movie and play themselves. So, when the story didn't go there and instead went into a direction I found much less satisfying, it hurt my view of the story.

Not to mention they had two artists sharing the duties in this one but only one colorist. I can't remember which artist it was without going back to look but the colors didn't really fit the one style and it just didn't look right.

Again, not terrible but I'm hoping the next issue meets the quality of the first two. At some point MJ needs to come clean to Peter about Mysterio.

I'll give it a C minus.

Issue #5

I'm not the biggest fan of the ending here. The 'fight' was a bit of a letdown and not what I would have wanted. MJ has always been known as a tough character both mentally and physically, as she's lifted a bat to distract a spider slayer or sucker punch Chameleon, however in this case I would have preferred to see her outsmart the villains rather than take them head on. It kinda makes sense in a way cause they clearly underestimated her but whatever. I didn't care for it.

Though I will say, I do love how MJ is acting how I've always known her to be. She's in character. She's smart and resourceful. This is some of the best treatment she's had in a long time. And that's not at all a dig towards Spencer or Taylor...when they write MJ it's just as good.

Also, the solicits show this series continuing for several more issues at least but I have to wonder if the initial plan was to end at 5 because the ending of this issue seemed more like an end to a series rather than an arc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"