The Ashes

regwec

Make Mine Marble
Reaction score
Not sure how many cricket fans there are on these boards, but I know there are a few from Australia, NZ, SA and plenty from England.

This looks to be an intriguing series (or two series..es?) I think England have been rather overrated, and Botham's prediction of a 10-0 whitewash look fanciful to me. Australia clearly have a lot of upcoming talent, and it will be interesting to see what this new bowling attack is all about.

No great surprise to see Captain Cook out already: his form looks a touch patchy to me, and he will have to find his touch in order to avoid being eclipsed by 22-year old Joe Root, opening the batting with him.

he will have to find his touch in order to avoid being eclipsed by 22-year old Joe Root, opening the batting with him.

Darnit, Reg. Root goes for a short and sweet 30.

I never knew the Ashes go on for like 4 months...Thats great, too bad its only a big deal between these two nations. Would be nice to a big tournament like this between other rival countries.

Like Pakistan vs India...Problem is, they play each other all the time now

Well, anyone watching today will have seen one of the greatest days of cricket in the last thirty years.

19 year old Australian number 11 and debutante Ashton Agar knocks 98 to put his country right back in the match. Hard to imagine how that must feel.

Frightening to think what a force an all-rounder like that could be for Australia over the next 10+ years.

come on, Aussie, come on!

Well, they do have a chance starting tomorrow. With the genius of Ian Bell aside, the English batting has been out of sorts, while the under performance of Jimmy Anderson and the absence of either Bresnan or Onions from the England squad will make the bowling attack somewhat experimental. The Aussies are playing for pride, now, which can turn things around. It promises to be an interesting test.

Looking damn good for the Aussies. England's bowling B-team haven't really stepped into the shoes of Bresnan, and it looks like an excellent toss to win. Austraila will be sorry to lose Watson so close to the close of play, but his was a daddy-100 that could well be match-winning.

For England to be in with a sniff, they need the bowling to be on fire tomorrow, and for Cook, Root, Trott and Pietersen to come good, too. It hasn't all clicked together for them yet this series...

Ashes series is a very oldest series in the cricket history. Ashes is a true picture of Cricket.

Yes. Alas, England haven't turned up this time round. :(

Finally, after three long seasons - The Urn returns!
171213sptasheslb030_19avukp-19avuku.jpg

I'm unspeakably happy.

Last edited:
Enjoy it! Australia has managed a mighty turnaround from the position they found themselves in earlier in the year, so congratulations to them.

It's hard to understand what happened to England, other than that everything possible went wrong. It just wasn't the same team that demolished the Australians in Australia in 2010-11. I suppose there is enough young talent to hope for a recovery, but it will take time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"