The Big Fat Versus Thread, Super Smackdown

I lean to Thor taking it most of the time, at least if this is Endgame Thor. Superman's speed advantage only matters so much against an opponent he would have a very hard time hurting, and who can perform large scale area attacks. And this is presuming he has no magic weakness, which IIRC never came up in the movies but which certainly could have.

( Yes, I am saying that Thor is both stronger and tougher than Superman, by a not-trivial margin. Even Superman's best strength feat doesn't really compare to Thor "I used brute strength to restart Nidavelir spinning" feat. )

Well I totally disagree....but at present can't come up with onscreen evidence to refute what you've said - other than some of the dubious physics around the Nivadelir feat ( but if I start down that road, superhero feats all fall apart pretty quickly).

While we're on this note, I have to admit that while I often totally disagree with you, i respect that you generally present your thoughts in a rational way, and I have yet to see you resort to being rude to someone.

Last year I was rude to you during an intense disagreement and that was wrong of me, and thus I apologize. I would PM my apology, but I'd rather make it public.

After work I'm going to furiously watch MoS to try and come up with some feats to refute your statements.....but if I can't I must accept them with good grace.

I got Thor winning this. That magic weakness is a biggy. I know he hasn't faced anyone with magic thus far but Snyder tends to have kept it close to comics as possible. Plus Thor is a lot faster than people give him credit for and darn sure is strong and durable.

I'll give this match to Thor for now. Not because I want to. But simply because the vote period is up and Thor has more votes.

Sidenote: very mature and good response Battmannerism. Feel free to come back to it and post your rebuttal at any time.

Onto the next match

Movie Sonic
CookedCreepyCat-small.gif

Vs

X-Men: Quicksilver
fbfc8b75acb15b119f0d6649a7e64aae.gif

I'll give this match to Thor for now. Not because I want to. But simply because the vote period is up and Thor has more votes.

Sidenote: very mature and good response Battmannerism. Feel free to come back to it and post your rebuttal at any time.

Onto the next match

Movie Sonic
View attachment 43671

Vs

X-Men: Quicksilver
View attachment 43670

Well that's high praise !

I would like to say movie Quicksilver, for being more creative with his speed. I had a massive discussion about whether Apocalypse should have been able to catch him or not, I think it was with @metaphysician , regardless it was unresolved.

I've seen most of Sonic TH and I'm not sure he could beat Quicksilver - although it would e incredibly entertaining to watch.

I wouldn't exactly say with ease. Sonic is clearly more durable being able to knock over trucks and smash through metal in ball form.

The speed may be a tad great in QS favor. But Sonic was able to create after images, and also had his own Sweet Dreams sequence. Let's not forget that. So the only real factor is experience

QS is older but not by much. Both a teenage versions of the character. But QS even in his youth knows how to use his power very well.

I'd argue that Sonic only just grasping the concept of combat. Wouldn't be able to react fast enough and definitely not think fast enough.

Well that's high praise !

I would like to say movie Quicksilver, for being more creative with his speed. I had a massive discussion about whether Apocalypse should have been able to catch him or not, I think it was with @metaphysician , regardless it was unresolved.

I've seen most of Sonic TH and I'm not sure he could beat Quicksilver - although it would e incredibly entertaining to watch.

That would be me, yes. And. . . I've not watched the Sonic movie, so I really can't say. :p I mean, I could *guess* it would go to Quicksilver simply because it seems unlikely that the movie portrayed in the trailers would have Sonic as either fast or intelligent enough to win, but that is me guessing based on extremely limited evidence.

Somehow, it doesn't make me feel the urge to watch the Sonic movie to fix that. . .

That would be me, yes. And. . . I've not watched the Sonic movie, so I really can't say. :p I mean, I could *guess* it would go to Quicksilver simply because it seems unlikely that the movie portrayed in the trailers would have Sonic as either fast or intelligent enough to win, but that is me guessing based on extremely limited evidence.

Somehow, it doesn't make me feel the urge to watch the Sonic movie to fix that. . .

Actually, as light entertainment goes Sonic is pretty good. Jim Carrey hams it up in the villain role and otherwise it's pretty much what you would expect. It's ridiculous turn off your brain kids' stuff, but then so are a lot of MCU films.

We're gonna call that one QS.

MechaGodzilla
tenor.gif

Vs

Avengers 1 "Iron Man"

30cf3893d6607db7dec825d9b9aedee9.gif

Even Stormbreaker Thor and Captain Marvel would struggle here so Phase 1 Tony has no way of damaging MechaGodzilla in that suit. Heck, even his Nano-tech suits wouldn't do anything. I don't doubt though that with prep time Tony could devise a MechaGodzillabuster

But the big MG takes this easily.

We're gonna call that one QS.

MechaGodzilla
tenor.gif

Vs

Avengers 1 "Iron Man"

30cf3893d6607db7dec825d9b9aedee9.gif

Well, unless he steered a Nuke into its mouth I cant see Tony having the raw power to take this.

The Nanotech suit might be able to come up with some tech that Tony could use if he could get inside the mech and attack its critical systems - but the Avengers suit just doesn't seem to have the firepower.

Whew. I thought you guys would wank Tony. But seeing that people actually take these monsters seriously in terms of combat gives me hope for future matchups.

No offense. I'm sure Nano-Mech Tony would definitely be able to take it down. He was easily able knock around Thanos and throw half a ship at him. It's reasonable to assume he could go inside and tear MechaG up.

Rama, from the Raid movies

vs

Matt Murdoch, from the Netflix Daredevil show

Rama, from the Raid movies

vs

Matt Murdoch, from the Netflix Daredevil show

After quick research Rama seems to have better combat skill and higher speed. But DD has dealt with multiple similar opponents. I feel like he comes out on top due to tenacity and overall experience.

Endgame Thor
SolidTinyBarebirdbat-max-1mb.gif

Vs

Omni Man(Invincible Cartoon Only)
7930745-omnimanliftsrock.gif

I'm not sure how to try to measure this, but it occurs to me that Thor channeled the power of an entire star through his body and survived, almost instantly healed to his normal self just from holding Stormbreaker.

Meanwhile, Omni Man is clearly massively powerful and heals fast, but a group of 'regular' superheros did manage did hurt him so badly he was unconscious in a hospital for a not long but also not insignificant period of time.

So unless the Guardians of the Globe were collectively more powerful than an entire star - which didn't seem to be the case - I think Thor wins.

I'm not sure how to try to measure this, but it occurs to me that Thor channeled the power of an entire star through his body and survived, almost instantly healed to his normal self just from holding Stormbreaker.

Meanwhile, Omni Man is clearly massively powerful and heals fast, but a group of 'regular' superheros did manage did hurt him so badly he was unconscious in a hospital for a not long but also not insignificant period of time.

So unless the Guardians of the Globe were collectively more powerful than an entire star - which didn't seem to be the case - I think Thor wins.

The star thing is incredibly bad writing - I mean if Thor could really stand up to the force of a star then he wouldn't have much to worry about from the infinity stones would he. In fact no energy weapon would hold much threat for him would it ? He wouldn't have had to block Surtur's flames in Ragnarok would he ?

There had to be a cleverer way of getting Stormbreaker made.

I'm taking Thor's side too. But only 6/10 times. Omni-Man is easily in his league and if Thor isn't careful an punch through the guy isn't out if the questions.

I'd measure it this way. Iron Man was able to effortlessly survive a landmass the size of the one Omni-Man is holding landing on him. As well as lift a ship that size and drop it on Thanos. It's not hard to assume Thor is far far stronger than even the Nanotech Armor. Which was capable of knocking Thanos around for a bit while he took down the easily Mountain Level Hulk and Thor in IW.

I'd say at max Thor is Continental. Full effort and no holding back. And Omni Man seems just about equivalent. The real deciding factor is Thor's weapon and lightning. Which gives him a distance advantage.

Endgame Thor
View attachment 45973

Vs

Omni Man(Invincible Cartoon Only)
View attachment 45974

Omni Man. Because he is utterly ruthless and doesn't hesitate to commit mass murder - he'd be willing to gouge out Thor's eyes or punch him in the nuts or threaten innocents or do whatever in order to survive. Would Thor's lightning harm him enough to take him out, I doubt it.

Also, Omni Man is fast enough to catch Stormbreaker ( because Thanos was ). Mjolnir would give Thor an advantage because Omni Man couldn't use it against him. Thanos nearly killed Thor with Stormbreaker, and I can see Omni Man doing the same.

In terms of strength, the physics of moving Nivadelir, in a zero gravity environment ( which is a durability feat more than strength, because it's the pod that provides the pull while Thor merely acts as an anchor and provides some additional momentum, he could have tied the pod to the Rings and had a similar result) don't compare to lifting a continent against the pull of gravity.

Thor has some rules, Omni Man doesn't.....Omni Man wins.

The star thing is incredibly bad writing - I mean if Thor could really stand up to the force of a star then he wouldn't have much to worry about from the infinity stones would he.

Well, lets see. Let's look at each of the Infinity Stones and their maximum potential destructive output:

Power Stone: Can destroy entire planets

Reality Stone: Destroy all Nine Realms during the Convergence

Mind Stone: Can "level a city" according to Cap in AoU

Space Stone: Has the "potential energy to wipe out the planet", according to Black Widow in Avengers

As for the other two, their abilities don't really pertain to raw destructive power so I won't include them.

But I think its clear that at least 4 of the 6 Stones have a destructive output at least equal if not greater than what that Neutron Star would be dishing out. So I don't see how the Infinity Stones hurting Thor contradicts his feat on Nidavellir.

Bear in mind also that its not as if Thor just tanked the star with no damage. His body was charred black and Rocket literally said he was dying. That was probably the closest to dying we've seen Thor come in the entirety of the MCU and it thus made clear that the star's output was his absolute limit in terms of physical endurance.

In fact no energy weapon would hold much threat for him would it ?

Well, Thor has been consistently shown to have excellent energy durability:

No-selling town-sized explosions:

6382814-7707769565-giphy.gif

Tanks the Bifrost explosion with no damage:

6219947-5678334922-giphy.gif

Withstands exposure to the Aether as its nearing its full power:

6526192-4411443068-Widee.gif

Survives being at the centre of a city-busting explosion (albeit KO'd):

6384633-8634181598-giphy.gif

And, at the start of IW, he survives a massive explosion caused by the Power Stone that atomises the Grandmaster's - very large - ship:

6540000-8921741625-Spotl.gif

And while he was KO'd by this too, its worth remembering that he had already been beaten to a bloody pulp by Thanos AND had the Power Stone drilled into his skull. In fact, he was so badly injured that he was struggling even to stand up.

And none of those explosions (even the Sokovia one) did anywhere near as much damage to him as the star beam did, since although he was KO'd by the Sokovia and Statesman blasts, neither of them brought him even remotely close to death.

So I think its reasonable to conclude that the star beam's output was simply far above any of the previous energy outputs Thor had had to real with.

He wouldn't have had to block Surtur's flames in Ragnarok would he ?

Well firstly, Surtur, even in his weakened state, is still a very powerful being, so I doubt that the flames he shoots out of his sword are just the same normal Earth fire lol. And secondly, the fact that Thor blocked it doesn't prove that the flames would seriously hurt or kill him. He may have just been trying to avoid the slight discomfort that may have come with being enveloped by the fire.

Not to mention that we see superheroes (and villains) dodge/block attacks that they can definitely just tank all the time. We even see Superman jump out of the way of the strafing of the A-10 Warthogs during the Smallville fight in Man of Steel. Does that mean that the bullets would kill Clark? Or is it more likely that he dodged them because although they wouldn't put him down, they would still hurt?

We also have Superman dodging Cyborg's missile after being resurrected in BOTH versions of Justice League. The same logic applies.

There had to be a cleverer way of getting Stormbreaker made.

Except the Russo Brothers explicitly said that they wanted the whole Nidavellir sequence to be the ultimate demonstration of Thor's power, strength and physical endurance. So this wasn't about finding the "cleverest" way of forging Stormbreaker, but rather the one that would best show Thor's raw might.

These quotes are taken from the Director Commentary for IW:

Joe Russo: And, Thor, one of the things I loved about him as a kid was the fact that he was a god. And that his abilities were god-like. And this is like the Trials of Hercules

Mcfeely: Right

Joe Russo: He has to do something insanely difficult that requires an insane display of power that very few people in the universe could pull off

In addition, an official MCU canon tie-in book states that a temperature of 50,000 kelvin was required to melt the uru:

7633493-2596664441-image.png

(From The Wakanda Files)

So, basically if the writers and directors of the movie are telling us that Thor withstood the heat and energy of the star, then he did. Period.

Finally, I do find it funny how people just LOVE to focus on the perceived inconsistencies of this one feat (and only this one) and ignore the inconsistencies that other characters display ALL THE TIME. It would be like asking why Superman doesn't destroy the planet every time fights someone, if he can move planets. Applying real-world physics to characters like this is absurd. If we applied these standards consistently, we would have to disregard almost every single comic book movie feat.

Take the infamous Quicksilver scene in DoFP. If Peter was actually moving that quickly then everyone in that room would be incinerated into vapour. But nobody questions that feat's legitimacy.

Thor seems to be the only prominent live-action superhero I can think of whose feats are just flat-out disregarded even in the face of huge evidence from both onscreen and offscreen sources.

Last edited:
That's three for Thor and One for Omni Man. Perhaps in Season 2 he'll show better more comic accurate feats. Next up

SteppenWolf(SnyderCut)
200de9f6005cb928ea1225e14ea110ee135edf7d.gifv.gif

Vs

Thanos(No Stones)
tenor.gif

Thanos, easily. Steppenwolf had kind of crappy feats all told.

Well, lets see. Let's look at each of the Infinity Stones and their maximum potential destructive output:

Power Stone: Can destroy entire planets

Reality Stone: Destroy all Nine Realms during the Convergence

Mind Stone: Can "level a city" according to Cap in AoU

Space Stone: Has the "potential energy to wipe out the planet", according to Black Widow in Avengers

As for the other two, their abilities don't really pertain to raw destructive power so I won't include them.

But I think its clear that at least 4 of the 6 Stones have a destructive output at least equal if not greater than what that Neutron Star would be dishing out. So I don't see how the Infinity Stones hurting Thor contradicts his feat on Nidavellir.

Well, fair point that the power stone can destroy planets, I'm not sure how much energy a neutron star puts out but a focused beam, which Eitri described as " the full force of the star" seems to me to be more than capable of incinerating a planet pretty easily. Can't really definitively say that it's more than an infinity stone, but I suspect it would be.
Thor did well to survive having the power stone held to his head, which would have incinerated pretty much anyone else instantly.

Bear in mind also that its not as if Thor just tanked the star with no damage. His body was charred black and Rocket literally said he was dying. That was probably the closest to dying we've seen Thor come in the entirety of the MCU and it thus made clear that the star's output was his absolute limit in terms of physical endurance.

That is true, it did nearly kill him.

Well, except for the time that Kurse nearly beat him to death, but he certainly was badly injured by the star.

But don't you think that just holding the hammer is kind of a cheap way of an instant heal ? I mean it's like Stormbreaker can do whatever the plot needs it to do - unlike Mjolnir, which had some clearly defined limits, which worked to Thor's advantage and disadvantage sometimes.

To me that's not great writing.

Well, Thor has been consistently shown to have excellent energy durability:

No-selling town-sized explosions:

6382814-7707769565-giphy.gif

Tanks the Bifrost explosion with no damage:

6219947-5678334922-giphy.gif

Withstands exposure to the Aether as its nearing its full power:

6526192-4411443068-Widee.gif

Survives being at the centre of a city-busting explosion (albeit KO'd):

6384633-8634181598-giphy.gif

And, at the start of IW, he survives a massive explosion caused by the Power Stone that atomises the Grandmaster's - very large - ship:

6540000-8921741625-Spotl.gif

And while he was KO'd by this too, its worth remembering that he had already been beaten to a bloody pulp by Thanos AND had the Power Stone drilled into his skull. In fact, he was so badly injured that he was struggling even to stand up.

And none of those explosions (even the Sokovia one) did anywhere near as much damage to him as the star beam did, since although he was KO'd by the Sokovia and Statesman blasts, neither of them brought him even remotely close to death.

So I think its reasonable to conclude that the star beam's output was simply far above any of the previous energy outputs Thor had had to real with.

That I agree with, Thor is very tough, and there's a big difference between an explosion and a focused beam of energy.

Well firstly, Surtur, even in his weakened state, is still a very powerful being, so I doubt that the flames he shoots out of his sword are just the same normal Earth fire lol. And secondly, the fact that Thor blocked it doesn't prove that the flames would seriously hurt or kill him. He may have just been trying to avoid the slight discomfort that may have come with being enveloped by the fire.

Not to mention that we see superheroes (and villains) dodge/block attacks that they can definitely just tank all the time. We even see Superman jump out of the way of the strafing of the A-10 Warthogs during the Smallville fight in Man of Steel. Does that mean that the bullets would kill Clark? Or is it more likely that he dodged them because although they wouldn't put him down, they would still hurt?

We also have Superman dodging Cyborg's missile after being resurrected in BOTH versions of Justice League. The same logic applies.

Okay, first thing....come on, are you really suggesting that Surtur is able to put out anywhere near Stellar levels of heat or at least sufficient heat to inconvenience a being who could survive stellar levels of heat and radiation for a whole minute ? That doesn't seem a particularly strong argument to me.

As for Superman, there are some aspects of this discussion that are very relevant to Superman, but the Warthogs not so much - because this is Superman's first ever fight and he literally does not know how powerful he is - Thor is a 1500 year old warrior god, and been in countless battles and he's probably got a better idea of his limitations.

As for Superman dodging the missile, well he's literally just been resurrected and doesn't even know who he is. Again, a bit different from Thor vs Surtur.

Except the Russo Brothers explicitly said that they wanted the whole Nidavellir sequence to be the ultimate demonstration of Thor's power, strength and physical endurance. So this wasn't about finding the "cleverest" way of forging Stormbreaker, but rather the one that would best show Thor's raw might.

These quotes are taken from the Director Commentary for IW:

In addition, an official MCU canon tie-in book states that a temperature of 50,000 kelvin was required to melt the uru:

7633493-2596664441-image.png

(From The Wakanda Files)

So, basically if the writers and directors of the movie are telling us that Thor withstood the heat and energy of the star, then he did. Period.

First, I only ever go by what's onscreen.

Second, actually, yes that's the problem - clever counts.

The Russos generally are pretty good writers and what plays out on the screen usually makes sense - even within the fantastic physics of superheroes- that's why this scene stands out for me as particularly bad. After Thor has been through so much development in his movies, especially Ragnarok which also highlights his limitations.

I understand their desire to show off Thor's godliness but it could have been done in a way that was more consistent with what we've seen previously.

How he starts Nivadelir's rings moving again is beyond stupid - there must be much better ways of showing him using his strength to do this - e.g using a giant lever, which would actually be a better feat of strength. That took me about a minute to think of, I can't believe the Russos couldnt do better.

The lock mechanism could have been above the aperture for the star beam, holding that open could have been a mighty feat indeed.

I'm genuinely surprised at how the Russos seem to have just shut off their writing talents and gone for a pretty mindless spectacle, that falls apart if you turn on your brain for even a moment.

Finally, I do find it funny how people just LOVE to focus on the perceived inconsistencies of this one feat (and only this one) and ignore the inconsistencies that other characters display ALL THE TIME. It would be like asking why Superman doesn't destroy the planet every time fights someone, if he can move planets. Applying real-world physics to characters like this is absurd. If we applied these standards consistently, we would have to disregard almost every single comic book movie feat.

Take the infamous Quicksilver scene in DoFP. If Peter was actually moving that quickly then everyone in that room would be incinerated into vapour. But nobody questions that feat's legitimacy.

Thor seems to be the only prominent live-action superhero I can think of whose feats are just flat-out disregarded even in the face of huge evidence from both onscreen and offscreen sources.

Again, first, I always disregard off screen evidence- to me almost always onscreen evidence is the only thing that counts.

Second, you're right about inconsistencies in super hero writing.

The inconsistencies in Superman's power levels routinely piss me off, way more than anything to do with Thor.

I would suggest that Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman highlight just how destructive a battle between Superman and beings can be - which kind of answers you point - although they neglect to show how Superman flying at low altitude supersonic speeds doesn't cause massive devastation, which is a fair criticism.

So here's the real issue, as I see it. It comes down to explanation - suspension of disbelief and consistency.

Quicksilver totally should create massive destruction moving at those speeds - however, an explanation that's been given is that he isnt literally moving that fast he just moves out of sync with normal time, so his power is more a form of time travel than actual superspeed. Similarly the Flash has his magic bull**** speed force which allows him to ignore the laws of physics.

Superman is seen lifting a continent, and a building- both of which would have crumbled under their own weight. The Boys series used this to show why Homelander couldn't save a 747 airliner from crashing.

Back in the 80s John Byrne suggested that Superman achieves such things by using telekinesis rather than actual strength- Grant Morrison explained that Superman can extend his aura around things he's lifting to hold them together.

These are all completley ridiculous explanations but at least they give us a possibility of suspending disbelief.

The problem I have with the Nivadellir sequence is that it's inconsistent with what we've seen before( remember Surtur) and virtually no explanation is provided.

This is why I refer to it as bad writing, and I'm surprised that the Russos went that way. With a little more thought they could have showcased Thor's godlike toughness and strength in a way that was consistent with what we've seen before and allowed for suspension of disbelief.

The other thing is consistency. Given your examples of Thor surviving huge explosions I suppose can almost buy that Thor can survive, badly injured, the force of the star for a short time - until I think about Surtur, and don't get me started on the control discs. Maybe if there had been some sort of explanation for his miraculous recovery other than - he held his hammer ( and this is totally different from his recovery from near death in Thor 2011, because at that time Mjolnir was holding all his godlike power).

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Anyway,on't feel bad for Thor he seems to do alright.....I mean it's not like they're going to replace him with a female character in his next film....oh wait, whew at least Superman won't be subject to an arbitrary change in his next film.....:eek:

Well, fair point that the power stone can destroy planets, I'm not sure how much energy a neutron star puts out but a focused beam, which Eitri described as " the full force of the star" seems to me to be more than capable of incinerating a planet pretty easily. Can't really definitively say that it's more than an infinity stone, but I suspect it would be.
Thor did well to survive having the power stone held to his head, which would have incinerated pretty much anyone else instantly.

Well, given that neither of us likely have the required physics knowledge to assess what the energy output of a neutron star is relative to fictional magic space rocks, we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

However, given the absurd damage the Infinity Stones can dish out, I still don't really see how Thor being damaged by them debunks the star feat. Especially since he tanked multiple blasts from the Aether in TDW.

That is true, it did nearly kill him.

Well, except for the time that Kurse nearly beat him to death, but he certainly was badly injured by the star.

Thor wasn't remotely close to death after the beating by Kurse. In fact, he wasn't even KO'd. He was bloodied and hurt, sure, but he was still conscious and quickly got up on his own. Somebody who was nearly dead wouldn't have been able to do that.

But don't you think that just holding the hammer is kind of a cheap way of an instant heal ?

This was established in the first Thor movie. Remember this scene?

He's dead after being b*tch-slapped by the Destroyer and Mjolnir just straight-up brings him back to life. So if you want to blame anyone for this mechanic, it should be Kenneth Branagh and not the Russo's.

I mean it's like Stormbreaker can do whatever the plot needs it to do - unlike Mjolnir, which had some clearly defined limits, which worked to Thor's advantage and disadvantage sometimes.

Except Stormbreaker sometimes works to Thor's disadvantage too. For example, we see in Endgame that its lack of a worthiness enchantment allows Thanos to grab it and turn it against him, something he wouldn't be able to do with Mjolnir.

Okay, first thing....come on, are you really suggesting that Surtur is able to put out anywhere near Stellar levels of heat or at least sufficient heat to inconvenience a being who could survive stellar levels of heat and radiation for a whole minute ?

As I already said, even in his weakened state, Surtur is still an extremely powerful being. And he wouldn't need to be putting out heat equal or even close to that of the star in order for it to be uncomfortable enough for Thor to consider it worth blocking.

Let me bring it down to a human level. You can survive getting stung by a wasp. But does that mean that you're not going to try and avoid getting stung?

I don't believe for one second that Surtur's flames are no hotter or more powerful than regular Earth fire.

As for Superman, there are some aspects of this discussion that are very relevant to Superman, but the Warthogs not so much - because this is Superman's first ever fight and he literally does not know how powerful he is -

It might be his first fight, but Clark had already done this:

At 1:22, he survives a fall from thousands of feet and flattens the top of a mountain in his landing. That experience ought to have been more than enough to let Clark know that he has nothing to fear from human weapons.

As for Superman dodging the missile, well he's literally just been resurrected and doesn't even know who he is.

He might not have remembered who he was, but he definitely remembered his powers. Which is why he responds with his heat vision.

First, I only ever go by what's onscreen.

Second, actually, yes that's the problem - clever counts.

The Russos generally are pretty good writers and what plays out on the screen usually makes sense - even within the fantastic physics of superheroes- that's why this scene stands out for me as particularly bad. After Thor has been through so much development in his movies, especially Ragnarok which also highlights his limitations.

I understand their desire to show off Thor's godliness but it could have been done in a way that was more consistent with what we've seen previously.

How he starts Nivadelir's rings moving again is beyond stupid - there must be much better ways of showing him using his strength to do this - e.g using a giant lever, which would actually be a better feat of strength. That took me about a minute to think of, I can't believe the Russos couldnt do better.

The lock mechanism could have been above the aperture for the star beam, holding that open could have been a mighty feat indeed.

I'm genuinely surprised at how the Russos seem to have just shut off their writing talents and gone for a pretty mindless spectacle, that falls apart if you turn on your brain for even a moment.

Well, at this point we're literally just arguing about our subjective interpretations of this sequence. Personally, I think pushing a lever sounds a bit boring, but to each his own, I guess.

FWIW, it seems that one of the early ideas they had for this sequence would have actually had Thor, Rocket and Groot going on a quest to find Stormbreaker, rather than forging it. And it would have culminated in a big battle with the Midgard Serpent.

There's even some concept art:

Expanded Thor/Rocket Infinity War Concept Art Reveals Midgard Serpent Battle

Quicksilver totally should create massive destruction moving at those speeds - however, an explanation that's been given is that he isnt literally moving that fast he just moves out of sync with normal time, so his power is more a form of time travel than actual superspeed.

Perhaps, but that's ultimately just your head canon. There's nothing in the movies to support this

Superman is seen lifting a continent, and a building- both of which would have crumbled under their own weight. The Boys series used this to show why Homelander couldn't save a 747 airliner from crashing.

I still contend that Homelander was just being lazy there.

The problem I have with the Nivadellir sequence is that it's inconsistent with what we've seen before( remember Surtur) and virtually no explanation is provided.

I haven't seen any real evidence of inconsistency. I already dealt with both the Infinity Stone and Surtur arguments.

The other thing is consistency. Given your examples of Thor surviving huge explosions I suppose can almost buy that Thor can survive, badly injured, the force of the star for a short time - until I think about Surtur, and don't get me started on the control discs.

The Obedience Disks are taken from the Planet Hulk storyline in the comics, where they are shown to be powerful enough to subdue 616 Silver Surfer:

main-qimg-e0f090eb8964fc17cd24e474e7b60482

They are just really OP plot devices. Taika even said something to this effect in an interview. He said that the Obedience Disks were just a way to allow Thor to be captured and put in a situation where he's forced to fight in an arena.

Maybe if there had been some sort of explanation for his miraculous recovery other than - he held his hammer ( and this is totally different from his recovery from near death in Thor 2011, because at that time Mjolnir was holding all his godlike power).

Eitri said that Stormbreaker was the greatest Asgardian weapon ever built, so it stands to reason that it can do anything Mjolnir can, and arguably even better.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Ok, and I'm not sure this thread would be the appropriate place to continue this conversation anyway.

Anyway,on't feel bad for Thor he seems to do alright.....I mean it's not like they're going to replace him with a female character in his next film....oh wait, whew at least Superman won't be subject to an arbitrary change in his next film.....:eek:

Taika and Natalie Portman have already said Thor Odinson isn't being replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hames
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"