The Futurology Thread

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
This thread is about looking at the trends and technologies out there now and thinking about what scientific breakthroughs are likely to occur in the future. I think now is an exciting time if you're interested in science and technology as I believe in our lifetimes there will be all sorts of great scientific breakthroughs. We're constantly hearing about new and exciting technology.

First of all I'd like to discuss the exciting exoskeleton technology that is being developed, and where that can lead in the future.

http://www.toxicjunction.com/get.asp?i=V3214

http://www.impactlab.com/2008/04/15/the-real-ironman-the-top-4-real-contenders/

Super strength is made possible. Just think in maybe 10 years time they'll develop one of these to completely protect the body and apply it in the military. Or, we could see it applied for more simple functions like using one of these exoskeletons to lift crates and other heavy objects in a factory. Maybe it will be used by law enforcement. Or maybe, a billion air will purcahse one to become a vigilante.

Other exciting current applications of robotic technology include replacing limbs.

In another thread, a man was able to grow the tip of his finger back through new technology. Maybe in our lifetimes, we'll never have to worry about losing body parts.

Here's a smart scientist guy talking about artificial intelligence...

[YT]PW8rgKLPHMg[/YT]

He doesn't think AI is possible, but he talks about the possibility of quantum computers. Wouldn't that be something. I disagree with the guy about AI though. It's a fantasy for many people. I'm positive it will happen one day. But should we create AI? Would AI become the new slave race? Or could AI be applied the way it should be, humans and AI functioning side by side and bettering society.

Where will video game technology be ten years from now? I think Nintendo with the Wii have made a significant step towards the kind of everyday home life we've imagined in science fiction. Wii Fit, Brain Training, on the DS there is now a cooking guide... all of these things will only improve over time. Nintendo have put video game technology into the hands of people that would never really have thought about playing them, and Nintendo have put video game technology into everyday uses. I envision one day being able to talk to your cooker, and your cooker advising you how to cook a great meal.

The Wii-motes' motion technology will be improved upon in the next generation, and I guarantee by the time next-gen consoles come around every console will borrow and expand on the wii-mote ideas. There is very basic technology that exists that allows you to touch in a game, I think in 10 years we will start to see some of that. Virtual reality headsets may come back in style, better than ever.

it's all about whether those h20 cars make it out or not, they could have a big impact on our way of life...

Good point. What's interesting is that the development of technology has a lot to do with the market and corporations. I'd have no doubt that we'd have purely h20 cars or electric cars if it weren't for the oil companies. The technology exists, but they block it. I think the oil companies are gonna wait until things can't get any worse, and then all of a sudden you'll see them roll out the h20 cars as though they'd been around for years.

And look at NASA. Man has only been to the moon once. If space travel had been made a bigger priority, we'd probably have a base on the moon by now.

there are enough issues to deal with on earth first without spending billions building crap on the moon

Well I think there will be a shift into the private sector with space travel. Richard Branson intends to take very rich people into space in a few years. So we'll see more money being spent on space travel by individuals and corporations rather than governments.

Still, I think in 20 - 40 years a few governments ought to get together to send some people to Mars. The sooner we make steps to expand the human race off of Earth, the sooner humans will see through divisions back on Earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"