The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told

OSM

Civilian
Reaction score
New release from DC this June!

9349_400x600.jpg

Written and illustrated by various; Cover by Alex Ross

Witness the Joker's greatest feats of criminal merriment and sordid crimes against the denizens of Gotham in stories from BATMAN #1, 66, 73, 110, 321, and 613, DETECTIVE COMICS #332, 475, 613, BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE VOL. 2, BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN #4 and BATMAN ADVENTURES ANNUAL #1!

DC Universe | 192pg. | Color | Softcover | $19.99 US

On Sale June 11, 2008
http://dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=9349

This should be called The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told Volume 2, considering that a Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told graphic novel has already been released before.

are all of those stories different from the original Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told?
I do notice some differences
If so then I might pick it up again

Batman #321 is the 'Dreadful Birthday Dear Joker' story. That's in the first volume. So is Detective #475, which is the first part of the Laughing Fish story.

Detective Comics #613 isn't even a Joker story :huh:

DC seem to be doing this a bit recently - If i am not mistaken im sure that unrelated stories are in the new Man Who laughs and Killing Joke re-releases

Batman #321 is the 'Dreadful Birthday Dear Joker' story. That's in the first volume. So is Detective #475, which is the first part of the Laughing Fish story.

Probably a typo.

DC seem to be doing this a bit recently - If i am not mistaken im sure that unrelated stories are in the new Man Who laughs and Killing Joke re-releases

Yes, but the Alan Scott story with TMWL is by Brubaker and the Black and White story with TKJ was written and illustrated by Bolland. They're related, no doubt.

I'm sure The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told will deal with Joker stories. :o

Batman #1, 73, and 110 are also in the original greatest Joker stories volume.

This book really isn't worth it if you already own the original volume.

It's a reprint of the original, with a new cover, if that's really the cover art up there...might be worth it just for that Alex Ross cover to me...I hate most of his art, but the man draws the 2nd best Joker, behind Boland.

I wish I were more excited about this. :(

Out of the 12 stories, 5 of them are in the original version and I already have Case Study (from Black & White, Vol. 2) and TLH. I'm going to assume they mean Detective Comics #617 (instead of #613), which is a decent story by Alan Grant with Norm Breyfogle's art. I certainly wouldn't mind getting my grubby little hands on that, if that's what it turns out to be. However, I don't know about shelling out $20 for this.

Knowing me, I'll probably cave over the extra 5 stories and the Ross cover. ****ing DC, exploiting my Joker love. Bastards. :csad:

This should be called The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told Volume 2, considering that a Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told graphic novel has already been released before.
That difference in semantics just occurred to me. They did the same thing with Batman. I have The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told, which is highly analogous in content to the later released Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told. Yeah, **** what I said earlier. I'm not biting this time.

There's a 37% chance that I'm lying my ass off about not getting this.

And at 192 pgs that hardly counts as enough to cover sufficient Joker stories.

if i dont have either, should i wait for this one?

My comic book store has the original one, so i could just get that

I'd get the original, especially if your store has the Stacked Deck edition. I was looking over mine (regular version) for comparison the other night and I believe the cover price is $14.95; although, I don't know what your store is charging, I'm assuming it's cheaper than this. You'd be getting at least 19 stories (25 in the SD version), as opposed to the 12 here, with a lot of overlap. Also, you won't be waiting until June for this to come out.

I have this one:

3615-1.jpg

I have to say, as nice as the Alex Ross cover is, I like this one better.

oh yeah, the Boland Laughing Fish cover there is much better than the Ross one, if only because it's freaking Boland.

I wonder why they are including Long Halloween 4. I think including Long Halloween 3 would be been a better choice, as it introduces the Joker into the Long Halloween story.

I'd get the original, especially if your store has the Stacked Deck edition.You'd be getting at least 19 stories (25 in the SD version)
I have only the original GJSET but what are the other stories in the SD edition?

What about Joker: The Devils Advocate?

Now I haven't read it, as its mearly impossible to track down, but I hear its pretty interesting. The DA finds a loop hole that can put The Joker down for good, but the catch is, he legitimately didn't commit the crime he's being sent up for, and Batman is intent on finding the real purp before the justice system makes a terrible mistake. I think it sounds like an amazing concept... has anyone ever read it?

I have only the original GJSET but what are the other stories in the SD edition?
I misspoke earlier. It's only 3 additional stories, not 6. Still, a snazzy hardcover though.

The Last Laugh
Originally presented in Batman #353, Nov. 1982

Catch As Catscan
Originally presented in Detective Comics #569, Dec. 1986

The Last Laugh!
Originally presented in Detective Comics #570, Jan. 1987

What about Joker: The Devils Advocate?

Now I haven't read it, as its mearly impossible to track down, but I hear its pretty interesting. The DA finds a loop hole that can put The Joker down for good, but the catch is, he legitimately didn't commit the crime he's being sent up for, and Batman is intent on finding the real purp before the justice system makes a terrible mistake. I think it sounds like an amazing concept... has anyone ever read it?

Yes, I have it. It's a terrific read. Just seeing Joker with a shaved head is worth the price of it alone:

Devad7.jpg

Devad8.jpg

Devad9.jpg

Yes, I have it. It's a terrific read. Just seeing Joker with a shaved head is worth the price of it alone:

Devad7.jpg

Devad8.jpg

Devad9.jpg

I do believe I also have the The Joker:The Greatest Story Ever Told Part I already. Well, I guess it couldn't hurt to get another one. The coloring and design is wierd, but wierd is sometimes good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"