Shazam The Music of Shazam!

Elayis

Sidekick
Reaction score
It seems pretty likely to me that Benjamin Wallfisch will be composing the score for this. Not only has he already collaborated with the director multiple times, but he's already worked in the DCEU with BvS, which he provided additional music for.

While Wallfisch isn't a favorite of mine, he done some decent work in the past (BR2049, Peter Pan, Bitter Harvest) and I think he could bring some much needed sophistication to the DCEU now that Zimmer is gone. He's certainly much more talented than Rupert Gregson-Wiliams.

If it is Wallfisch, I hope he doesn't go the MV/RC approach for this film. This is a lighter and more upbeat film, it needs to be childlike innocence changing into a heroic superhero fanfare. No brooding strings and synthy backgrounds.

His score for Annabelle Creation was rather forgettable, so I hope he ups his game for this.

What's with the *****ing about Gregson-Williams I've seen around here?

I thought RGW did a fine job scoring Wonder Woman, but it could've been even better. But he can also write beautiful upbeat music.

I don't see many complaints about RGW, but still numerous complaints about Elfman's JL score. Guys, just let that go.

Wallfisch's been able to do rousing and majestic in the past. Let's just hope he's allowed to do that here.

Give this a listen, in particular from 2:03 to about 3:38

[YT]06tdcU1bB9w[/YT]

What's with the *****ing about Gregson-Williams I've seen around here?

He's not a very good composer, just an imitator of Zimmer's 90s synth style. I suppose I should give him credit for WW, though; he managed to also copy Brian Tyler in that one.

Last edited:
Something incredibly powerful and magical please!

LOL so easier said than done. ;)

Last edited:
I think it needs a whimsical score which sounds more like an adventure. It needs a classic, old fashioned hero theme tune. They need to think more along the lines of Indiana Jones or Back to the Future than Man of Steel or The Dark Knight.

Even something like ET would work for a secondary, slower non-main theme.

As always, I would love to see Joseph Trapanese do the score.

And he's done kid friendly before...

As I had hoped, Wallfisch is scoring the film.

Intrigued to see what he cooks up, considering this will be so tonally separate from Dunkirk/Blade Runner/It.

He's done lighter, family friends fare in the past, so it'll be interesting to see whether the score for Shazam will be in the same vein as Peter Pan, or if Sandberg/WB will want a more conventional RCP style.

I thought Rupert Gregson-William's score for WW was great. Interested to hear what Wallfisch does here.

Wallfisch's been able to do rousing and majestic in the past. Let's just hope he's allowed to do that here.

Give this a listen, in particular from 2:03 to about 3:38

[YT]06tdcU1bB9w[/YT]

That's EXACTLY what I hope Sandberg and Wallfisch aim for. After seeing the trailer, a score in the style of Peter Pan would fit Shazam! to a T.

No more f***ing Elfman

The only good one he did for JL was WW's intro.

The rest you can copy and paste from saturday morning cartoons

Really see no reason for you to be b****ing about Elfman in here, but do what you gotta do, I guess.

No more f***ing Elfman

The only good one he did for JL was WW's intro.

The rest you can copy and paste from saturday morning cartoons

First off, Elfman has nothing to do with the Shazam score since Benjamin Wallfisch has already been hired as the composer. Second, the Wonder Woman rendition was my least favorite part of the Justice League score. I still haven’t warmed up to that electric cello riff because I don’t feel it compliments the character at all. Would rather Elfman had rejected it entirely since he avoided adapting Zimmer’s Man Of Steel theme and his obnoxious Batfleck theme. Third, the final product of the movie ended up being something out of a sub par Saturday morning cartoon than an actual movie. So… And fourth move on. Elfman has, Whedon has, WB/DCEU has, and the general public has. I'm bored of all the whining and complaining about the score.

Back on topic. My choices for the Shazam score would’ve been either David Newman, Howard Shore (he did score 1988’s Big), Bruce Broughton, Thomas Newman, John Powell, Daniel Pemberton, Joe Kraemer, or Douglas Pipes. I’d like to see more composers who haven’t scored music in the genre have an opportunity. With that said I don’t mind Benjamin Wallfisch as the composer he’s one of the better Zimmer proteges working right now. I enjoyed his contributions to Hidden Figures, and didn’t mind his collaborations with Zimmer on Blade Runner 2049 or Dunkirk. However, I hope he’s allowed to deviate from the droning Zimmer sound that’s plagued most of the DCEU scores, but Wallfisch was involved in the Batman V Superman score. In fact, he contributed a lot more music to the Batman V Superman score than Junkie XL did, which is strange because Junkie XL was the only co-composer (in BvS) who shared billing with Zimmer for the press release of the film/soundtrack.

[YT]3bxxplHo3bY[/YT] LOL!

Last edited:
I hope they make a musical signifier for Billy both when normal and transformed that have similar elements but denote the difference between the two states. Something that sounds appropriate for a kid but when beefed up also sounds right for a super hero.

Very encouraging to hear about Wallfisch’s score for the film. It’s the approach I was rooting for.

Wondering whether WaterTower will do a physical CD release. I like buying a pressed disc if I have the option.

WaterTower released two tracks from Wallfisch's score. It has a nice structure outside the movie, and definitely has a playful Williams/Doyle sound. And that theme! I can't wait to see the movie again to appreciate Wallfisch's score more.

The theme is like someone crossed the Williams Superman theme with the Superman TAS theme and I forking love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"