The Rock 20th Anniversary

Alex Murphy

Sidekick
Reaction score
Michael Bay's action thriller with Sean Connery and Nicolas Cage was released in US cinemas on June 7, 1996.

yes you are correct the great one debuted in WWE 20 years ago in 1996
04-rocky-maivia.jpg

It's hard to believe it's been 20 years since Michael Bay made a good movie.

It's only three years since the last good Michael Bay movie I saw. ;)

Ah, that takes me back ... to when Nicolas Cage had dignity.

Ah one of my favourites and Michael Bay's "Mona Lisa".

Epic score from Hans Zimmer as well.

[YT]gPtPxqTdkig[/YT]

Last edited:
Alex is the designated "film anniversary" thread starter haha. He's done like 4 film anniversary threads.

The movie that Bay-haters never talk about because it completely ruins their argument. :woot:

I love it.

Probably still Michael Bay's best, though Pain & Gain comes damned close.

The movie that Bay-haters never talk about because it completely ruins their argument. :woot:

I love it.

One good movie followed by 20 years of sh** does not nullify the argument that he's a bad director.

One good movie followed by 20 years of sh** does not nullify the argument that he's a bad director.

Bro some directors have never come close to making a movie that's as awesome and loved as The Rock. He also did Bad Boys a couple of years before he did this.

Last edited:
In defense of Michael Bay...

Bad Boys was a solid debut. Nothing to brag about, but slick, fun escapism. With The Rock he upped the ante. Big time. Armageddon is a flawed summer flick, but still fun, and with a great cast and memorable characters.

Pearl Harbor was a huge misfire, and Bad Boys II was a lesser, more mean-spirited and often needlessly over the top sequel.

The Island is way underrated. It's a fun sci-fi action flick.

Now, I don't care about the Transformers flicks. They're way too loud, way too chaotic. Way too everything. The first one is probably the most bearable. But that's not saying much.

But I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Pain & Gain. A great return to form for Michael Bay.

So I don't think he's a bad director. At all. He's not one of the best filmmakers out there, nor will he ever be. But with the right script, he can make a good flick.

He's a pretty bad producer, though. But even Sam Raimi, who's one of my favorite filmmakers, has a bad track record as a producer.

Last edited:
Bay's best and one of the best action movies to utilize the Die Hard blueprint.

The opening scene is epic as hell.
[YT]y8i8mVxt258[/YT]

And it has got MICHAEL BIEHN!

Biehn%2BRock.jpg

John Mason: Your "bestsssh"! Losersshh always whine about their bestshhhh.

Ah yes one of those free Starz movies you always got to see

One of my fave action movies, period.

Epic Connery film that i would have loved to have seen fan edited to include the Bond theme.

This movie is basically James Bond meets Unforgiven. I love it.

Not when their argument is that he has NEVER made a good movie. :woot:

How many of his movies have you seen? I have to ask because I know of a lot of people who say that they hate him, which is fine, but continue to see his movies. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
I've seen most of his films; this, Bad Boys, The Island, the Transformers films, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Pain & Gain, etc. Haven't seen Bayghazi and don't plan to. I wouldn't say that he's never made a good film but I would say that most of the films he's made since The Rock have been mediocre to awful.

Caught this again on Netflix. Between this and Bad Boys, Bay was 2 for 2. Then he went overboard with Armageddon and Transformers.

Michael Bay's 13 Hours actually feels like a spiriutal sequel to this.

Still my favorite Michael Bay film besides the first Transformers.

Have yet to see 13 Hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"