The Tiny House Company

Showtime

Your Friend In Time
Reaction score
http://home.aol.com/new_in_home/pho...09990001?icid=100214839x1212124768x1200747008
homepage.jpg

Jay Shafer has been living in a house smaller than some people's closets since 1997. In 1999, he created the Tumbleweed Tiny House company, which builds and sells plans for homes that range in size- from 65 to 774 square feet. Yes, that's right, I said 65 square feet! With 20 different floor plans to choose from and a variety of designs, The Tumbleweed Tiny House company has become a small housing phenomenon. According to Mr. Shafer, "As the economy becomes more worse off, the more plans I tend to sell." While the company only builds homes in California right now, anyone can buy the plans for a Tiny home and build it yourself. For those interested in making life simpler, check out the company's website!

I'll buy one for you Ronny... *looks for spare change*

I think that it's a pretty sweet idea, not for me, but for others who want to live in a tiny house on wheels.

They come on wheels?? I wonder if I could ollie a tiny house.

Dude 65 SF is a f'ing jail cell that's like 8 LF by 8 LF.

You could fit one of those in a backyard and give it to your kids as a private little club house.

Is it just me, or do almost none of the links at his official website work?

Apparently he can't handle the demand from all the traffic he's getting. I wanted to look at a floor plan. I need to become a minimalist, and this is just the tool to get me there. Plus, hauling an Airstream takes too much gas. :(

It would be cool as a little home away from home. I couldn't imagine that being the only place I'd live though.

Okay, looks like I finally got access to some of the pages on the website...

The "Tiny Houses" (ranging from 65-140 square feet) seem to range between $37,000 and $47,000. OR you can simply buy the floor plans for $995, but you'll have to buy your own supplies and build it yourself.

There's the "Small Houses." None of these are pre-built, and you'll have to buy the floor plans and build themselves. The floor plans for these houses are cheaper at $695, but because they range from 120 sq. ft. and up (the highest seems to be 774 sq. ft.), they'd no doubt cost a lot more to build.

You know the really sad part about all of this? Buying and building two and these houses, then figuring out how to combine them into a single normal-sized house would still be cheaper than the price of a regular house in some parts of California.

Okay, looks like I finally got access to some of the pages on the website...

The "Tiny Houses" (ranging from 65-140 square feet) seem to range between $37,000 and $47,000. OR you can simply buy the floor plans for $995, but you'll have to buy your own supplies and build it yourself.

There's the "Small Houses." None of these are pre-built, and you'll have to buy the floor plans and build themselves. The floor plans for these houses are cheaper at $695, but because they range from 120 sq. ft. and up (the highest seems to be 774 sq. ft.), they'd no doubt cost a lot more to build.

You know the really sad part about all of this? Buying and building two and these houses, then figuring out how to combine them into a single normal-sized house would still be cheaper than the price of a regular house in some parts of California.

So it would be cheaper to buy a shed, modify it to your on specs and slap some wheels on it. I'm on it.

Firstly, who has a 65 square foot closet?
secondly, small houses are an awesome - woudl give you a heaps larger outdoor area to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"