There are more slaves today than at any other time in history

Alex_Spider

Sidekick
Reaction score
A really touching video

http://enditmovement.com/

"Slavery is Wrong.

You know it. We know it. As a country, we've officially known it since 1863. But here's something you might not know -- Slavery still exists. We want every man, woman and child to know that there are 27 million men, women and children, just like them, living in the shadows. In brothels. In factories. In Quarries. Working as slaves. In 161 countries. Including our own. We are here to shine a light on slavery. No more bondage. No more sex trafficking. No more child laborers. No more, starting now."

Really the guilt goes also to people that consume like maniacs diamonds, jewelry, luxury products. Most of them come from child labor in a filthy sweatshop.

Yeah, but who around the world is going to be the first country to literally stop wanting all that stuff? We're all pretty superficial like that.

Slavery is a relative term though. For example, in 1850, a black person in Mississippi was definitely a slave. But what about Russians serfs? They didn't have the right to leave their plot, they could be killed by their lords, they were for all intents and purposes slaves. How about Japan? Leaving the country was a capital offense.

I could go on, but you (hopefully) get the point.

Yeah, but who around the world is going to be the first country to literally stop wanting all that stuff? We're all pretty superficial like that.
Well we have to change in a personal level though and rethink our values and our way of thinking. Regardless of how the majority of people behave.

Slavery is a relative term though. For example, in 1850, a black person in Mississippi was definitely a slave. But what about Russians serfs? They didn't have the right to leave their plot, they could be killed by their lords, they were for all intents and purposes slaves. How about Japan? Leaving the country was a capital offense.

I agree. Another example is to be forced to work 9-5 and loosing most of your best years trying to earn a living. I personally oppose all forms of slavery along with those you mentioned.

Last edited:
A really touching video

http://enditmovement.com/

"Slavery is Wrong.

You know it. We know it. As a country, we've officially known it since 1863. But here's something you might not know -- Slavery still exists. We want every man, woman and child to know that there are 27 million men, women and children, just like them, living in the shadows. In brothels. In factories. In Quarries. Working as slaves. In 161 countries. Including our own. We are here to shine a light on slavery. No more bondage. No more sex trafficking. No more child laborers. No more, starting now."

Really the guilt goes also to people that consume like maniacs diamonds, jewelry, luxury products. Most of them come from child labor in a filthy sweatshop.

We're selfish, self-entitled people. Until that changes...slavery will always exist.

We're selfish, self-entitled people. Until that changes...slavery will always exist.

Spot on. Not all of the people are like that though. I say the minority behaves like that. One good thing that came from the global economic crisis is that many people throughout the world rethink their values and realize the falseness of the luxury lifestyle and the suffering it causes to those who produce the goods we consume.
Thanks to the Internet great changes can come faster than in the past.

Agreed.

"The gun to your head is your head". We are the most effective agents of our own oppression. The more we become a consumer society, and the more time we spend on having rather then being, we become more oppressed as a people.

Go to the projects, and these kids are poor as hell, but they make sure to spend all of their money and funds to get the latest Jordans, the latest phones, instead of investing that money, time, and effort to further their development. That is the very definition of slavery in my opinion.

Agreed.

"The gun to your head is your head". We are the most effective agents of our own oppression. The more we become a consumer society, and the more time we spend on having rather then being, we become more oppressed as a people.

Go to the projects, and these kids are poor as hell, but they make sure to spend all of their money and funds to get the latest Jordans, the latest phones, instead of investing that money, time, and effort to further their development. That is the very definition of slavery in my opinion.

Yeah sure. But I also blame the parents for raising the children from a small age with a materialistic mentality right when they are buying them stupid Barbie's. In the end it's a f*** up society with a lot of wrong role models and idols.

I agree. Another example is to be forced to work 9-5 and loosing most of your best years trying to earn a living. I personally oppose all forms of slavery along with those you mentioned.

Reads this at my 9-5 job :csad:

I'd take that over crushing student debt :) Thats a slow....drawn out pain.

Sweatshop workers live a few years in those conditions...Ill be paying off loans well into my 50's....in poverty lol

There's a problem there, but I wouldn't label it "slavery." That's uselessly hyperbolic.

I'd take that over crushing student debt :) Thats a slow....drawn out pain.

Sweatshop workers live a few years in those conditions...Ill be paying off loans well into my 50's....in poverty lol
Um you mean they live a few years in those conditions and then they die from poverty..??

Nahh..Till then I highly doubt primitive monetary systems like money, loan, debt, will exist.

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned about the Bangkok girls who're raised from a young age to expect an adulthood of being used by obese Westerners past their prime.

or the millions of girls in france, india, and many other places who are sold and even raised as sex slaves. And told that they are "working to earn a living"
humanity is sick

or the millions of girls in france, india, and many other places who are sold and even raised as sex slaves. And told that they are "working to earn a living"
humanity is sick

Indeed; I saw a documentary on my Bangkok example on YT. I can't link it here because it has some nudity. One family had been wiped out to a girl by AIDs. If a worker comes down with AIDs...they disappear.

I'd be more concerned about the Bangkok girls who're raised from a young age to expect an adulthood of being used by obese Westerners past their prime.

humanity is sick

Yeah that one is important too. And along with the girls, in many cases they use young boys as sex slaves for the sick Westerns. Not to mention except the sex slavery, they abduct and abuse little innocent children to sell their organs in the black market. Can't get more sick than that really.:csad:

The monetary system is responsible for enslaving more people than anything in history. I don't know if a resource based economy would work, though.

The monetary system is responsible for enslaving more people than anything in history.
Glad you get it man.
I don't know if a resource based economy would work, though.

Oh believe me it would work miles better than every other system. I mean it is logical and makes the most sense if you think about it. Of course we would still have problems after all there is no perfect society. But it would be a lot better than what we have today and people wouldn't die in mass numbers from wars, poverty and preventable diseases like today.

I bet all your doubts and questions are properly answered in this FAQ. It is worth checking out.
http://www.thevenusproject.com/the-venus-project/faq

I have a social theory that the majority of humanity is by nature ruled by a small group. People in that ruling group are what I would call sociopaths. The colloquial terms is "politicians".

The average human isn't "good", as we are so often told, so much as dumb, weak (in mind), and easily manipulated. Aliens I imagine would use the word "human" the way we use the word "sheep".

Humans have always been slaves. Some are only now realizing it.

Just look at our religions. Virtually all of them (and certainly the mainstream ones) are dedicated to groveling before some kind of deity.

I think the only way to end slavery is to understand freedom. Only then can we build a society founded on freedom.

Absolute freedom is a lie. In fact absolute freedom is what makes someone think they can own a sex slave.

My college has been on a Slavery Awareness Campaign, and with this thread popping up I assume its a declared awareness week or something?

Anywho, reading yours guys posts have made me think, maybe the term slave is relative. That means we should focus on getting rid of child soldiers and sex slaves, rather than the "serfs" someone mentioned. What other forms of modern day slavery are especially bad?

Anything that involves physical, mental, or verbal abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"