Three More Spin-offs in Development

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones' started by Sawyer, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Sawyer High King

HBO Developing Three More 'Game of Thrones' Spinoffs: Nymeria, Flea Bottom, The Sea Snake

Okay, Flea Bottom is an automatic no from me. There’s just no way that has anything interesting to offer as a series.

The other two... I’ll keep an eye on.

2. Fincher Coming Undone

It'd be pretty weird if they passed on those previous projects including The Long Night and then made a show about Flea Bottom.

Meanwhile, I'm holding out for the inevitable Hodor prequel, A Song of Hodor and Hodor.

3. Erik20 Registered

Not surprising. I read that HBO lost a lot of subscribers after GoT ended. Even now with putting movies on their service (and some other great shows) they're still not hitting those old numbers. I wonder if it will work a second time...

4. Marvolo Registered

Flea Bottom isn't a weird concept when you think of it like Deadwood or Gangs of New York or any show set in a town or part of a city with a cast of recurring characters.

Could be about criminal gangs, or faceless men, warlocks or any number of colorful characters.

CaptainWagner likes this.
  5. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

The more I think of it, a Flea Bottom show in the style of Deadwood/Gangs of New York/The Wire really does have a lot of potential. Street gangs, goldcloaks, smallfolk just trying to get by... It's a side of the world pretty much unexplored in current works.

But I am beyond stoked for 10,000 Ships and 9 Voyages. I'm fascinated to see how they do it - It feels like something they could work wonders with if they get their hands on Tech like what they use on The Mandalorian. All of those locations... SO MUCH POTENTIAL

6. Calvin Ellis Retired

Can't support this anymore he needs to finish the books.

7. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Them waiting until after the series was done to start working on spin offs was the dumbest thing they could've done. They knew the show had an end point, should've started prepping a show come S6 and have it premiere 6 months after GoT ended.

8. Sithborg Registered

May want to start moving toward acceptance that it isn't happening....

9. Marvolo Registered

And he's developing a stage play:

'Game of Thrones' is getting the 'Cursed Child' treatment with new George R.R. Martin stage play

The acclaimed Game of Thrones author is now developing a new Broadway-bound stage play for his beloved fantasy franchise that will show fans a moment from Westeros history that took place 16 years before the events of his first book, A Game of Thrones.

The play, with an original story by Martin that's being developed with playwright Duncan MacMillan, will take place during the Great Tourney at Harrenhal, a 10-day-long contest that's considered the biggest competition in the history of Westeros

10. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

The man really doesnt want to finish his books. XD

DarthSkywalker and Sithborg like this.
  11. Albright Eeh…

I hope we’ll see the lands of Sorthoryos and Ulthos through that Sea Snake series.

12. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

IIRC, not even Corlys made it to Ulthos, which is pretty much entirely unknown to westerners other than "It's land and it's there." We can definitely get to Sothoryos though (Would love to see some of the haunted former prison colonies like Gosgossos) and a whole slew of wild new locales. That's why it's the spin-off I'm most excited for, the mythos GRRM has built for the East is incredible.

13. Marvolo Registered

They should disregard that in the TV canon. An explorer could have been to Ulthos and never publicly announced it. Or the reports of a journey to Ulthos were discounted as nonsense by Westerosi maesters and scholars.

14. Albright Eeh…

or HBO doesn’t really care about things being canon or not...

15. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I mean, there's more than enough new, wild territory to unpack on Corlys' journeys without Ulthos. I think I'm most excited to see Yi Ti, Asshai and the forest of the Ifequevron (to further investigate their seeming connection to the Westerosi Children of the Forest). I can't complain if they reveal some completely new part of the lore, though. He could sail to the legendary City of Wisdom that Xaro wanted to take Dany to.

16. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

They did that with Valyria and it was pretty dismal. I’d rather they avoid trying to answer the mysteries of Planetos that GRRM hasn’t depicted.

17. Sawyer High King

‘Game Of Thrones’: Amanda Segel To Write ‘10,000 Ships’ Spinoff – Deadline

18. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I'm very curious with how much of Nymeria's story this will cover. I can definitely see it starting with the flight from the Rhoyne and ending with her marrying Mors Martell and burning the ships, I'd love to see more. A first season covering the Second Spice War would be amazing (Water Wizards vs. Dragons, LET'S GO!!!!) but I'd worry it would set the wrong tone for the series. At the very least, I hope we get at least some glimpses of the Valyrian Freehold in its prime.

19. jonny snow Registered

Definitely waiting for this

20. Pennywise Registered

HBO Max Developing 2 More ‘Game of Thrones’ Animated Shows (Exclusive) – The Hollywood Reporter

#20 Pennywise, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  21. Sawyer High King

Of all the suggested spin-offs, Flea Bottom sounded the most like a non-starter anyway.

I just could not conceive of what could be interesting enough about that environment to inspire an entire series.

Doug Mills likes this.
  22. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I still dont understand why they dont give us a mini series surrounding Roberts Rebellion.

23. Marvolo Registered

If it would have been a Deadwood or Rome type series with assassins, guilds, and criminal gangs, and intrigue it probably would have been worthwhile.

I would have had some members from the King's Landing royal court work with the criminal underworld in the city. GOT never did a satisfactory job fleshing out the Royal Court and King's Landing. Fleabottem could have.

#23 Marvolo, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  24. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

Yeah, I always saw more promise in that concept than most did. Shame it gets the can, I'm surprised they're going all-in on the two spin-offs that will presumably cost the most money to produce. Also, they're moving on the Sea Snake series too fast, that was supposed to be MY show to write, darnnit! :o