Tim Burton & Johnny Depp Team For 'Sweeney Todd'

I just saw the show last friday night and I can hoinestly say Tim Burton will be great with it. It has the feel of Corpse Bride and Nightmare Before Christmas but it's darker. It's a musical for those who don't know.
I don't bother with imdb boards so their complaining means nothing to me.

Majik1387 said:
I just saw the show last friday night and I can hoinestly say Tim Burton will be great with it. It has the feel of Corpse Bride and Nightmare Before Christmas but it's darker. It's a musical for those who don't know.

I know. It's perfect for Burton. Although, based on his history, I wonder if he'll make some changes.

Also, Johnny Depp is playing Sweeney Todd. I wonder. . .is this the first villain Depp is playing? I can't recall any other time he's played a villain.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory.

Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) is trying to get a role in it.

Kipobe said:
they're a bloody hit everytime they're together.
no........ its a hit everytime depp is in any movie...

tim burtons BIG FISH was a piece of crap

farmerfran said:
Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) is trying to get a role in it.

I think he'd be perfect to play Signor Adolfo Pirelli.

I think that's the role he's trying to get.

There's rumors that he has already landed the role.

xwolverine2 said:

It still doesn't change what I said... Burton/Depp collaborations are always good. Burton is a great director without Depp... just because he's had a few shortcomings here and there.

^It's fantastic.

This sounds quite good. But I'm not big on musicals.

Depp is taking singling lessons for the role.

He played in a band for years before he started acting anyway, so it shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

The problem is the singing stlye. Sweeney Todd is a baritone while Johnny Depp is probably used to singing in tenor. But, I'm sure he'll be able to pull it off.

xwolverine2 said:

cough*thelibertine*cough

Big Fish was fantastic.:o

Oh yeah, amidst trying to make my point to xwolverine, I forgot to say that... but it should be obvious. Big Fish was a great movie.

Kipobe said:
Oh yeah, amidst trying to make my point to xwolverine, I forgot to say that... but it should be obvious. Big Fish was a great movie.

If you read the book Big Fish and then see the movie, you can really see the genius of what Butron did IMO.:up:

Burton is fascinating with source material. People don't get the genius in his vision unless they see where it all came from. There is no better way to describe Willy Wonka than he did with his film. It's a shame that Wilder's well known impersonation of the character is what most people have sketched in their minds.... but in reality Burton's spin on the book is what I had in my mind 20 years ago. He's such a visionary.

Yeah. . .which is why its gonna be interesting to see what he'll do with Sweeney Todd.

I think Burton is a great choice for a director. It's already very dark and gothic with some black humor. The only thing I'm worried about is that the story is ultimately very tragic, and I've never seen Burton do anything like that. Even his very dark stories, like Edward Scissorhands, still has some hope and happiness somewhere in there. Sweeney Todd has none.

Also, I don't know about Depp. I think the best actor for to play Sweeney is a physically imposing baritone. George Hearn was PERFECT imo. Depp could be good in the film, but not without changing the character.

George Hearn singing Epiphany

Leto Atrides said:
I think the best actor for to play Sweeney is a physically imposing baritone.

Depp is taking lessons. He'll be able to do it. It wouldn't be the first time a tenor did baritone.

Catman said:
Depp is taking lessons. He'll be able to do it. It wouldn't be the first time a tenor did baritone.

I'm sure he cand do it. But I think it would be better to get someone really appropriate and experienced than having someone stretch for it.

The whole, "Johhny Depp is a great actor, he can pull off [insert role here]" thing is getting really tiresome. He's a great actor, and he can play most roles decently well. But that's just ridiculous to say, "He'd suffice. Let's just put him in everything." I'd much rather see a very limited actor be completely perfect in a role than see a great actor just pull it off.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117953850.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Cohen to cut chops on 'Sweeney Todd'
Thesp signs on for role in Burton pic
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Cohen

Sacha Baron Cohen has firmed plans to follow "Borat" with some barbering in "Sweeney Todd," the screen version of the Stephen Sondheim musical Tim Burton will shoot for DreamWorks and Warner Bros.
Cohen will play Signor Adolfo Pirelli, a barber who becomes the nemesis of Sweeney Todd. Todd's the barber who teams with the murderess Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter) to kill people, grind them up and use them in her meat pies.

Cohen will be putting in only a couple weeks of work.

Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald are producing with Richard D. Zanuck and John Logan. Logan wrote the script.

Since "Sweeney Todd" shoots in London in February, the picture is the next up for Cohen. The musical offers him the opportunity to create another eclectic character, as he did when he played the race car driver Jean Girard in "Talladega Nights."

As "Borat" continues to establish itself as a box office juggernaut, Cohen has just begun working out the story beats of "Bruno," the feature he'll make for Universal, playing the Austrian fashion reporter character he created for "Da Ali G Show."

"Bruno" is on course to shoot next year. Also looming for Cohen are two longstanding acting attachments, in the Tina Fey-scripted "Curly Oxide and Vic Thrill" at Paramount, and the remake of the Francis Veber comedy "Dinner for Schmucks" at DreamWorks.

Cohen's repped by Endeavor and managed by Jimmy Miller.

I'm happy Helena Bonham Carter is Mrs. Lovett.
Borat looks dumb as hell to me but I think Sacha Baron Cohen will be a great Pirelli.:)

I'll watch this, of course.
But I really wanted the Tim Burton/Jim Carrey "Ripley" project to happen first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"