Tim Burton & Johnny Depp Team For 'Sweeney Todd'

Well at least this little masterpiece picked up one Oscar.

I wanted Johnny to win the Oscar so badly. He really deserved it with this role. Daniel Day-Lewis is another favorite of mine though. I'm glad to see that one of them got it.

Well at least this little masterpiece picked up one Oscar.

At least, but it got an Oscar the same year No Country For Old Men won for BP, so I guess we can just throw this whole Oscar year out :o

From the digital bits:

It seems we're finally starting to get a little bit more of a sense of what Paramount and DreamWorks Animation are up to with regards to their high-def release plans. Paramount has just confirmed that Into the Wild and Things We Lost in the Fire (both due next week on 3/4) will be the last HD-DVD format releases from either studio. DreamWorks Animation's Bee Movie (originally due 3/11) has been cancelled on HD-DVD, along with the HD-DVD versions of Sweeney Todd (originally set for 4/1), There Will Be Blood (originally 4/8), The Kite Runner and The Jack Ryan Collection (both previously announced for 4/25). All new release titles are now officially due on DVD only for the time being, though industry sources are telling us here at The Bits that Blu-ray versions are soon to be announced. You can read more on this at Video Business and Home Media.

So, goodbye to Sweeney Todd on HD-DVD, hello to Sweeney on Blu-Ray.

Anybody know if we get anything special if we buy this at Best Buy? Or Wal-Mart? Or Circuit City? Anywhere?

Sweeny Todd DVD clip http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=5361

DVD review care of comingsoon.net

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/dvdreviewsnews.php?id=43493

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2-Disc Special Edition)
Reviewed by: Scott Chitwood
Movie Rating:
6 out of 10
Extras Rating:
8 out of 10
Movie Details:
View here

Buy this DVD at Amazon.com

Rating: R

Starring:
Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd
Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett
Alan Rickman as Judge Turpin
Timothy Spall as Beadle Bamford
Sacha Baron Cohen as Signor Adolfo Pirelli
Jamie Campbell Bower as Anthony Hope
Laura Michelle Kelly as Beggar Woman
Jayne Wisener as Johanna
Ed Sanders as Toby

Special Features:
Burton + Depp + Carter = Todd: A behind-the-scenes look at the collaboration of Tim Burton with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter featuring exclusive footage from rehearsals, recording session and more!
Sweeny Todd Press Conference, November 2007
Sweeney Is Alive: The Real History of the Demon Barber
Music Mayhem: Sondheim's Sweeney Todd
Sweeney's London
The Making of Sweeney Todd
Grand Guignol: A theatrical tradition
Designs for a Demon Barber
A Bloody Business
Moviefone Unscripted with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp

Other Info:
Widescreen
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Spanish and French Language
Spanish and French Subtitles
Running Time: 116 Minutes

Synopsis:
The following is from the DVD description:

"Johnny Depp and Tim Burton join forces again in a big-screen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's award-winning musical thriller 'Sweeney Todd.' Depp stars in the title role as a man unjustly sent to prison who vows revenge, not only for that cruel punishment, but for the devastating consequences of what happened to his wife and daughter. When he returns to reopen his barber shop, Sweeney Todd becomes the Demon Barber of Fleet Street who 'shaved the heads of gentlemen who never thereafter were heard from again.' Joining Depp is Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney's amorous accomplice, who creates diabolical meat pies. The cast also includes Alan Rickman, who portrays the evil Judge Turpin, who sends Sweeney to prison and Timothy Spall as the Judge's wicked associate Beadle Bamford and Sacha Baron Cohen is a rival barber, the flamboyant Signor Adolfo Pirelli."

"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" is rated R for graphic bloody violence.

Mini-Review:
I'm a big fan of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, so I was eager to see "Sweeney Todd." In fact, when I missed a free press screening of this film at Christmas, I went out of my way to pay full price to see it in the theater. Unfortunately, I wasn't blown away by it. I had several problems with it.

The first was that none of the songs were particularly memorable. I didn't walk out of the theater humming any of them, and that's usually my first indication of how good a musical is. When you see Chicago, "Cellblock Tango" is unforgettable. When you see Hairspray, "You Can't Stop the Beat" sticks in your head till you wish you forgot it. Even "Enchanted" had the memorable "That's How You Know." "Sweeney Todd" lacks a catchy tune. A couple of the songs stand out, but it's more because of what's happening in the film than because of outstanding lyrics or music. "The Worst Pies in London" stands out because of the humor in Helena Bonham Carter's performance. Same with "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir" and Sacha Baron Cohen. Unfortunately, that's not enough.

My other problem is with the overall story. It's just depressing. It starts out dark, briefly turns comedic, and ends on a dark note. You're either in the mood for that or you're not. I wasn't and I imagine many audiences wouldn't be, either. I can live with a depressing ending if the rest of the film enthralls me, but the rest of the movie didn't make me glad I ended up depressed at the end (if that makes sense).

All that said, Johnny Depp delivers yet another unique performance as Sweeney Todd. He's unlike any other character that Depp has portrayed, and that's why I love watching Depp on the big screen. You always get something different and he completely immerses himself in the character. Throw in the added challenge of singing in a musical and this ends up being one of his more memorable performances. The same goes for Helena Bonham Carter on every front. Mrs. Lovett is funny, bizarre, and unique. Carter and Depp are what make Sweeney Todd worth watching. They are supported by Alan Rickman as Judge Turpin, Timothy Spall as Beadle Bamford, and Sacha Baron Cohen as Signor Adolfo Pirelli (proving that he can do more than just Borat). If you also consider Tim Burton's beautiful eye for directing, you have something still worth checking out.

I'd recommend "Sweeney Todd" to fans of Depp and Burton. Fans of the original "Sweeney Todd" play will also want to check it out. But people should be aware that this isn't your typical musical before watching it. Not every musical has a happy ending, and this is one of them.

There's a generous helping of bonus features on the DVD as you can see above. There's a ton of "making of" featurettes covering the adaptation of the play for the big screen, the special effects, the sets, the music, and other goodness. There's also a featurette on the real legend of Sweeney Todd. They discuss the origins of the character from the 1800's and the debate on if he was based on a real serial killer. Overall, the bonus features pretty thoroughly cover every aspect of the making of the film that you could want to see.

Bought my copy today...can't wait to watch it :up:

Bought the steelbook at FYE. I wish every DVD was in steelbook.

That had to be one of most pointless reviews I've seen for Sweeney. :whatever:

at least it had the specs. No commentary though. That always lessens my want for a DVD.

The real question is why I don't already own the Special Edition DVD.

Burton's commentaries tend to suck on any real level. He's all about technicalities.

I wanted a cast and crew commentary, I don't know why WB has been so adamant about placing commentaries on DVDs within the past couple years. Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter, none have had commentary.

Ah well, excellent purchase, the special edition is a must. I'm about to watch it again right now.

Yeah the lack of a commentary was very disappointing. I always look for those, and it seems most film companies aren't including them lately.

Special Edition = :heart:

Just watched it for the first time yesterday. One of my favorite '07 films for sure. :word::up:

gah, i need this but i don't want to re buy it when it come out on bluray. :(

Yeah. I'm holding out to see if it makes to Blu jump. I wonder why they didn't have both out on the same week.

-TNC

Just bought it yesterday and watched it.. it is such a great movie.

I finally watch this movie. Loved it. Then again, I'm a Burton fan, and the man has only ever disappointed me twice. (here's a hint: the movies involve martians and apes)

Is it right that my favorite song in the movie is the one where Todd and Lovett discuss what types of people to kill?

I finally watch this movie. Loved it. Then again, I'm a Burton fan, and the man has only ever disappointed me twice. (here's a hint: the movies involve martians and apes)

Is it right that my favorite song in the movie is the one where Todd and Lovett discuss what types of people to kill?

That is a great scene.

My favorite one has to be the part where the Judge and Todd are singing as he shaves him for the first time. There is just so much tension in that scene. I cannot think of the last time I was on the edge of my seat that much in a cinema. You were just waiting for Sweeney to slit his throat, even though you knew you'd only been in the theater for about an hour and it couldn't happen yet. Great, suspensful scene. :up:

That is a great scene.

My favorite one has to be the part where the Judge and Todd are singing as he shaves him for the first time. There is just so much tension in that scene. I cannot think of the last time I was on the edge of my seat that much in a cinema. You were just waiting for Sweeney to slit his throat, even though you knew you'd only been in the theater for about an hour and it couldn't happen yet. Great, suspensful scene. :up:

There are so many great, memorable scenes in that movie. It's really hard to pick a favorite! The Todd/Lovett scene that Manic liked is amazing, and so are the Todd/Turpin scenes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"