Too Faithful

PyroChamber

Not lactose, it's milk!
Reaction score
There were people who felt that Watchmen was maybe "too faithful" to the book, is it possible for a movie based on a comic book to be too faithful?

And isn't that what fans want anyway? Faithfulness to the original?

Yes but it was faithful to the point that dialogue that was clearly made to be read didn't change and sounded clunky being spoken and scenes that were paced very specifically to fit into the nine-panel format were rushed even with slow motion. I liked it and as a fan it was made for me but the movie only put the book on screen it didn't bring the story to life.

i think the best way is to make a good compromise. Plus get the right people to write it.

The problem with watchmen was that the general audience were advertised an action packed "superhero" movie and got a talking heads picture. A good portion of the themes etc etc went WAY over their heads. Watchmen was a film for and by geeks and thats the audience that loves it.

A film should and can be faithful. The only time "too faithful" comes into play is if you try to actually do 60+ years of continuity in 2 hours. To make a great comic film simply distill the best stories down into one coherent flow.

Yes but it was faithful to the point that dialogue that was clearly made to be read didn't change and sounded clunky being spoken and scenes that were paced very specifically to fit into the nine-panel format were rushed even with slow motion. I liked it and as a fan it was made for me but the movie only put the book on screen it didn't bring the story to life.
I enjoyed Watchmen and I agree with your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"