US Live-Action movie of Death Note

JokerLedger

Sidekick
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Death Note? It's a Japanese manga that has spawned an anime series and 2 live action movies. I myself am not a fan but a co-worker of mine is absolutely nuts about the manga. I recently heard that there was a possibility of an American remake of Death Note so I decided to create this topic. When I first heard about this, one name automatically popped up into my head.

Jake Gyllenhaal as L
donnie_l.jpg
L-change-the-Wor.jpg

There's already a japanese version that they're playing at a couple local theatres downtown Chicago but only for a couple nights out the week.

Dosen't need an American remake, anymore than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon needed an American remake.

Just release the Japanese version more widely.

Man I tried to see the movie but by the time I got there it was sold out! Did anybody see it and if they did how was it!

I'd like to see the Japanese live action films sometime.

I think this is one film we should not be remaking.

Good Lord. The Japanese already did this. Though I suspect half of them take it as a compliment and the other half take it as, "those ****ing Americans love stealing our ****."

I actually want this adaption. It's actually supposed to be faithful to the manga, unlike the Japanese movies.

I don't like this idea. Things that are cool in anime and manga are not usually cool when shown in live action. I don't think it would be very convincing for 15-year-olds to be that powerful in a live action movie. And I don't know of any teenage actors who could play Light and L.

When I was stationed in Japan this was super popular over there...it was interesting

I want no more Hollywood adaptations of foreign films, especially the Asian ones. So far every U.S. adaptation of an Asian property has sucked, and I'm not even going to see Dragonball if I was paid to do so. I can't see them learning their lesson from Dragonall and Speed Racer to do this movie justice.

The U.S. studios seem to still want to emulate the Asian community. Just ask the Wachowski brothers. I think they should just concede defeat and let those who understand the source material, make those kind of films. Two words "Speed Racer" :S

well to be fair Japan does remake some of our movies too

No doubt. However, I think that the interpretation/westernization of Manga specifically is not going the way studios would have hoped. Drama and Horror are fine ie Departed and The Ring/Grudge etc. But when trying to capture the stylistic nature of Manga/Anime, it falls flat.

I thought the Anime was fantastic. Haven't checked out the live version as off yet.

Here's my cast...

Light Yagami- Kevin Zegers
kevinzegers.jpg

L- Michael Pitt
michaelpitt200512239315.jpg

Misa Amane- Kristen Bell
kristen20bell.jpg

Souichiro Yagami- Alan Rickman
rickmanalan1.jpg

Voice of Ryuk-Ron Perlman
Voice of Rem- Gong Li

Preferably directed by Gus Van Sant ("Elephant", "Good Will Hunting") or Alphonso Cuaron ("Y tu mama tambien", "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban")

Last edited:
I've seen several episodes of the animated series on Scream and I really enjoyed them. There was actually a movie with a very similar premise shown on Show Case earlier this week called The Devil's Diary that was actually pretty good.

If Hollywood can stay true to the source material, I say go ahead and remake it. Maybe get the same writers and director who did From Hell. I understand that the film was very faithful to the graphic novel which inspired it. I don't know for sure, for I only saw the movie and never read the book. But as an amateur Ripperologist I thought it was really well done. Or maybe get the people who wrote and directed The Ring and The Grudge to write and direct it. I've seen both the American and Japanese versions of both movies and thought that they were both really well done.

That's my opinion anyway.

Here's my cast...

Light Yagami- Kevin Zegers
kevinzegers.jpg

L- Michael Pitt
michaelpitt200512239315.jpg

Misa Amane- Kristen Bell
kristen20bell.jpg

Souichiro Yagami- Alan Rickman
rickmanalan1.jpg

Voice of Ryuk-Ron Perlman
Voice of Rem- Gong Li

Preferably directed by Gus Van Sant ("Elephant", "Good Will Hunting") or Alphonso Cuaron ("Y tu mama tambien", "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban")

Interesting choices. Of course if they do cast the characters as you suggest, they'll have to change some of the names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"