Velvet Buzzsaw

Just watched it. I would agree that the Horror doesn't land and when it asks you take the Horror seriously I kind of didn't...but I really did enjoy all of the jabs at the art world and the shallow people in it. And Jake Gyllenhaal is pretty great (he's one of my favorite actors anyway). I didn't LOVE it, which is a disappointment...but I'm not sad that I watched it (it's been a bad year so far for movies for me, so it's better than the other stuff I've been watching).

I liked it. I didn't have super high expectation so I wasn't disappointed in any way. It doesn't explain the horror, but I felt like that was okay because it was a film about art, and that can mean different things to different people.

Gyllenhaal cracked me up.

I'm about an hour in. Not enjoying it. Probably when I get tired I'll just turn it off.
I don't care about the jabs at the art world. That was funny for like 5 minutes, I'm not a big horror fan but this stuff isn't being done well (a cat jump scare? Really?)

This isn't it

This felt like a movie length episode of Tales from the crypt

I thought it was OK. I liked the acting, I totally didn't recognize the chick from Stranger Things, she was fun here! That actress who played Josephina had a killer accent. It was fun to see this whole art scene thing, I don't remember when is the last time I saw a movie centered around it. Thee horror element was so half baked though, there were absolutely no rules or explanation to the whole murderous art thing.

I didn't like the trailer but Netflix doesn't really cut good trailers. With this team it'll probably be good though.

Jim-Halpert-Looks-at-Computer-Shakes-Head.gif

This felt like a movie length episode of Tales from the crypt
Oh lawd, I can imagine the Crypt Keeper now with those horrible puns:

"Hello, kiddies! I've got a real pallete cleanser for you this time! These guys are about to find out that creating true art isn't as easel as it looks, when they all have a sudden brush with death! Some people will kill for art...and some art will kill people! There are those who call these paintings macabre; I call them bloody brilliant!!"

GreenSpanishHoneybee-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
This movie was a mess. Netflix's movie division seems to specialize in self indulgence. With each passing film from Gilroy, Nightcrawler is looking more and more like a fluke.

"Hello, kiddies! I've got a real pallete cleanser for you this time! These guys are about to find out that creating true art isn't as easel as it looks, when they all have a sudden brush with death! Some people will kill for art...and some art will kill people! There are those who call these paintings macabre; I call them bloody brilliant!!"

There was that episode starring Tim Roth called Easel Kill Ya. An artist kills people and paints their dead bodies.
tftceasel21.jpg

Finally watched this last night and honestly I wasn't a big fan of it either. None of the characters were that likable or engaging and while I know that's kind of the point when I watch films I definitely like to have characters that I can at least somewhat root for. Gyllenhaal's character did get some chuckles out of me, but I can't say that I really cared about him. It's a shame too because this has a really solid cast, and it was kind of fun seeing Rene Russo, Toni Collette and John Malkovich in the same scenes. The horror elements here were complete weak sauce though as nothing was ever explained and it felt like stuff would just randomly happen for unknown reasons.

5/10

Perfect post.

Well this was just delightful. Jake Gyllenhaal has really grown into one of the most interesting actors of his generation. And props on Dan Gilroy for going high and low brow all at once.

I loved this... and think it’ll make a huge impact of the next few years with art students and cult film nerds.

The montage of the gallery crew, attendees, and children not noticing the dead body might be the greatest thing I’ve seen on film in a long time.

Other than hoping it was “scarier”, I also wish the last scene/end wasn’t the tattoo... but that she turned to stone/a sculpture to mirror the painting.

For a film that's ostensibly about visuals and art and vision and yadda yadda yadda--the very flat, day-bright look of the film just completely fails to do what it needs to do to sell the experience. This is something that should have been shot like a Friedkin or Argento and instead it looks like, well, your average Netflix movie. I almost have to feel like maybe the DP, Robert Elswit--who was PTA's main guy for a long time and has done such incredible-looking films with great depth of shadow and texture--must have made some sort of intentional choice here to make everything look, uh, shallow and garish and two-dimensional? I don't know. I was reminded of the disappointing look of, say, MAPS TO THE STARS where it seems like the superficiality of what the film is trying to portray is carried over into the look of the film itself (though MAPS TO THE STARS is still far uglier than this film). There are some shots I really liked in this one (the night shots fare much better, some of the close-ups are good, shots of Morf's eyes when he first sees the cursed art and is "ensorcelled," Piers reaching for a painting out-of-focus) but yeah, not nearly what you would expect from the guy who shot THERE WILL BE BLOOD or NIGHTCRAWLER.

Despite the film's bland aesthetic, I did enjoy this high-low schlock pulp thing that the film does with its context-genre mashing and its performances; I found it far more interesting and watchable than other reference points like MAPS or ART SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL. It is a long ways off from what I'd call a good movie, but it is one I still personally enjoyed watching, somehow. I just wish the aesthetic (not just the cinematography, but also the editing and sound design) had really tapped into the spirit of the story, because then at least it would have been an intoxicating mess as opposed to just a stilted one.

Like you guys, I was really looking forward to this especially after NIGHTCRAWLER. Although Jake delivers...it was overall a disappointment for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"