Fantasy Wes Ball To Direct Live-Action Legend of Zelda Movie For Sony Pictures

I would be that, lol :innocent:
Now, what about my suggestions Lucas Hedges, Colin Ford and Charlie Plummer?
I haven't got a single comment on any of them. Are they really that bad?

Yes.

The man is an Academy Award winning actor. They've all taken paycheck roles. Regardless of how you feel about his performance as Triton, it doesn't make him any less great of an actor.

Then I don't want Zelda to be his next paycheck role!

Then I don't want Zelda to be his next paycheck role!
Triton was a supporting character who had little to do. Ganondorf is the main villain of the franchise and a more interesting character. If Bardem were to play him he wouldn't be asleep at the wheel. Think Skyfall, not an assembly line Disney live action remake.

Triton was a supporting character who had little to do. Ganondorf is the main villain of the franchise and a more interesting character. If Bardem were to play him he wouldn't be asleep at the wheel. Think Skyfall, not an assembly line Disney live action remake.
That comparison with Skyfall is interesting. What would make a Zelda film being treated as seriously as a spy action, and not any plain Disney-esque fairytale?
I mean, how can a fantasy adventure with a bright color palette be written as something serious?
We can all dream ofcourse, that it will still be a more mature story, and less childish.

I wouldn't mind having an award winning actor as the villain. Either Bardem or Forest Whitaker.
Why not go that way for other important characters too? Link could be played by Lucas Hedges (he was atleast oscar nominated) or Charlie Plummer (who's proven himself as a serious actor, except for his role in Moonfall).

The thing is that the studio may only look at Zelda as a video game, nothing else. And we know that video game adaptions per se, have something of a bad reputation. How many times have such a film been considered a masterpiece?
For a Zelda film to reach a higher level, they must treat the propery differently than "just" a video game.

I mean, Triton is a pretty important character in Little Mermaid.

Also, the animated movie The Little Mermaid is based on is a classic and a masterpiece.

That comparison with Skyfall is interesting. What would make a Zelda film being treated as seriously as a spy action, and not any plain Disney-esque fairytale?
I mean, how can a fantasy adventure with a bright color palette be written as something serious?
We can all dream ofcourse, that it will still be a more mature story, and less childish.

I wouldn't mind having an award winning actor as the villain. Either Bardem or Forest Whitaker.
Why not go that way for other important characters too? Link could be played by Lucas Hedges (he was atleast oscar nominated) or Charlie Plummer (who's proven himself as a serious actor, except for his role in Moonfall).

The thing is that the studio may only look at Zelda as a video game, nothing else. And we know that video game adaptions per se, have something of a bad reputation. How many times have such a film been considered a masterpiece?
For a Zelda film to reach a higher level, they must treat the propery differently than "just" a video game.
I used Skyfall as an example specifically because villains are typically more interesting characters for actors to play. Silva was a role that Bardem was really able to sink his teeth into.

I used Skyfall as an example specifically because villains are typically more interesting characters for actors to play. Silva was a role that Bardem was really able to sink his teeth into.
It depends on how the script is written, and what way the director wants to go.
Studio interference can also happen.
I really hope Zelda isn't treated as a lesser film, something that's not worth to be taken seriously. There's always a risk for that, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ball describes his vision as "this awesome fantasy-adventure movie that isn’t like Lord of the Rings, it’s its own thing. I've always said, I would love to see a live-action Miyazaki. That wonder and whimsy that he brings to things, I would love to see something like that."

Ball is speaking to EW from New Zealand where he is currently overseeing postproduction on Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, (out May 24, 2024), the first entry in the science-fiction franchise since 2017's Matt Reeves-directed War for the Planet of the Apes. The director hopes to shoot the video game adaptation after he is finished with his current monkey business.

"We’re working on the script, and whether it’s the next one or not, it’s hard to say exactly," he explains. "But certainly the plan is, after Apes is done, to have a little bit of a rest for a moment, and then dive into [Zelda] and hopefully give fans what they’re hoping for, and also invite new people in. I think Nintendo's desire is to introduce people to this world that’s been around for 40 years now."

He's saying all the right things. A Miyazaki inspired Zelda movie sounds like a dream.

Would have also been nice if, you know, we actually had a Studio Ghibli animated Zelda movie. Would probably look miles better than this movie will end up looking like.

I must say this sounds very, very promising
Not similar to LOTR, but STILL made with the same love and effort, I hope.

"Wonder and whimsy", as he mentions, could in fact be found in NeverEnding Story too.
I've said before there are some similarities between that world and Zelda.
So, perhaps we're gonna get a Miyazaki esque version of the 1984 film by Petersen :)

Would have also been nice if, you know, we actually had a Studio Ghibli animated Zelda movie. Would probably look miles better than this movie will end up looking like.
A live action can look amazing with the right production values and set of actors.
Do you fear it will be lacking in the technical aspects? Or not have the most suitable cast?

It's a Sony production and Avi Arad is attached. I'm automatically cautious and have severely low expectations due to that alone.

But to answer your question, the former. I can't say anything about the cast since we don't have any announcements yet.

It's a Sony production and Avi Arad is attached. I'm automatically cautious and have severely low expectations due to that alone.

But to answer your question, the former. I can't say anything about the cast since we don't have any announcements yet.
You can still have a feeling that you won't approve of the actors that end up in the roles.

While I do like the thought behind how he’s going to approach his adaptation, if you’re going to do something Miyazaki-inspired, why just not make it animated?

Part of what makes any Miyazaki film what it is is the kind of motion and energy you get from having different things, situations, characters, animals, etc. animated in such a way that you just can’t do and achieve in live action. Also, having everything animated removes the disconnect between everything in the frame to where you don’t even think about it and you just get lost in it. By going the route of live-action, inevitably filled with a mix of live-action and CGI elements that will undoubtably prove very distracting, it's just going to look like a poorer, uncanny imitation of the actual inspiration, so you’ve already missed the point of what you’re trying to do and what makes the original work.

While there have been a few cases here and there nowadays of VFX working seamlessly with live action, generally, that’s not the case. And I venture to guess, especially with Sony’s track record with the quality of their work, especially regarding VFX and CGI,, it’ll most likely fall into the latter category.

While I want this to do well and wish it the best., I remain slightly skeptical of the success of him capturing what he aims to achieve.

That would result in an unfairly biased opinion though.
There might be those who would have been better choices, in your opinion.
You've already low expectations because of Arad and Sony. With their involvement, it could also affect who's cast as the characters.

While I do like the thought behind how he’s going to approach his adaptation, if you’re going to do something Miyazaki-inspired, why just not make it animated?

Part of what makes any Miyazaki film what it is is the kind of motion and energy you get from having different things, situations, characters, animals, etc. animated in such a way that you just can’t do and achieve in live action. Also, having everything animated removes the disconnect between everytfeels hing in the frame to where you don’t even think about it and you just get lost in it. By going the route of live-action, inevitably filled with a mix of live-action and CGI elements that will undoubtably prove very distracting, it's just going to look like a poorer, uncanny imitation of the actual inspiration, so you’ve already missed the point of what you’re trying to do and what makes the original work.

While there have been a few cases here and there nowadays of VFX working seamlessly with live action, generally, that’s not the case. And I venture to guess, especially with Sony’s track record with the quality of their work, especially regarding VFX and CGI,, it’ll most likely fall into the latter category.

While I want this to do well and wish it the best., I remain slightly skeptical of the success of him capturing what he aims to achieve.
I really want to see it done live action. But you still have a point.
Still though, I hope it won't be a "real" animated film in the classic sense.
Mocap could be the middle ground, Then it's animation that feels like live action :)
I could accept that :)

You can still have a feeling that you won't approve of the actors that end up in the roles.
I mean, I know Hunter Schafer was suggested for Zelda a few pages back. And while as of now I haven't seen her in anything for me to judge her acting wise, lookwise she's got the regal statuesque characteristic of the character down, so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing her in the role.

I mean, I know Hunter Schafer was suggested for Zelda a few pages back. And while as of now I haven't seen her in anything for me to judge her acting wise, lookwise she's got the regal statuesque characteristic of the character down, so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing her in the role.
I think I see the same traits in her.

There may also be a few actors you like for their talent, and who you think will be good candidates for Zelda, Link, etc.

Worst case scenario is that Sony go with names that don't suit the roles at all. It will tarnish the film even if it's good otherwise.
Perhaps some people don't see this as a problem. But in my case, it's just that the wrong cast will bother me.
I think it's fun to fancast different future films. But to be clear, it doesn't have to be the names I mention. It can be just anyone, as long as I think they picked the right actors when I see the film. If I don't I won't be happy, if you know what I mean.

I will go a little younger for my Link fancasts. Because I think the studio won't cast someone close to 30, no matter how suitable he used to be.

Ed Oxenbould? Maybe a bit dorky looking?
Then he has that lisp which I've heard in several of his performances. He's able to avoid it when playing low key characters.
But Zelda won't be anything close to a slow drama, lol.
I supposed they could cast him if Link is written as mute.

Levi Miller has a boyish, gentle quality to him. He's also proven his acting talent. He could be right for the character.

So, two Australians there. I have a feeling that they're going to be ignored. If someone here says anything at all, it will be that these two are bad suggestions. Right? :)
I know several other names. One of them has to be a decent actor enough to work as Link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"