• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What is the message behind films that glamorise intelligent serial killers?

Danalys said:
well when i see the silence of the lambs i don't want to be hannibal or bill. they aren't role models and not every character in films should be or is. they're just intresting stores. there's the what makes them tick or how are they really different from everyone else factor. and part of us just likes seeing violence, as much as part of us hates it. there's the shock/tension and relief factor aswell. it's part of exploring the human condition.
When I see it I hate Bill, but I can appreciate Lecter. Bill just seems to be a dumb, evil monster while Lecter seems (even if insane) to have formed his opinion on others and how they should be treated with a little more thought. Justified violence in films (eg a man defending his family) can be enjoyed without any pangs of guilt while the victims of violence in these films are the 'good guys' (or sinners depending on point of view) making enjoyment all the more difficult, albeit still possible. Also whenever I am inspired by a film, I can feel myself unconsciuosly looking for a role model within the film even where there was no intention to include one.

I dunno.....I think it's by a film-to-film basis. Sometimes, the message can be different. Sometimes it can be deep, sometimes it can just be bull**** just to make a fun movie.

American Psycho's message, per se, seemed to be of how superficial the time period was and how everyone was so alike, that someone could get away with murder(s). There was more to it than that, but......that's kinda the jist I got.

Frailty, was another movie that seemed to be about faith.....

Btw, since we're on the subject....anyone check out DEXTER on Showtime? It's kinda like American Psycho meets CSI: MIAMI meets Frailty.........kinda a cool show. It's about a serial killer who kills......other serial killers......hmmm.....would that make him a hero?

Part of the thing is, the serial killer is a bigger challenge if he´s intelligent. If your killer always seems to be one step ahead of the FBI agent, it makes the investigation harder and more interesting. Therefore, usually the FBI agent is also very intelligent.

Also realistically speaking, according to psychologists, it´s usual that psychopaths are very intelligent. They´re very manipulative people with no consideration for anyone else. They can´t relate to anyone on an emotional level, so they have to use their intellect to manipulate people in order to get what they want.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I dunno.....I think it's by a film-to-film basis. Sometimes, the message can be different. Sometimes it can be deep, sometimes it can just be bull**** just to make a fun movie.

American Psycho's message, per se, seemed to be of how superficial the time period was and how everyone was so alike, that someone could get away with murder(s). There was more to it than that, but......that's kinda the jist I got.

Frailty, was another movie that seemed to be about faith.....

Btw, since we're on the subject....anyone check out DEXTER on Showtime? It's kinda like American Psycho meets CSI: MIAMI meets Frailty.........kinda a cool show. It's about a serial killer who kills......other serial killers......hmmm.....would that make him a hero?
I feel justified in watching these kind of films and feel less guilty about enjoying them when I see a clear message and American Psycho definitely offers one. Maybe I just need to lighten up. :p

I've not seen or even heard of Frailty. :csad:

I've not heard of Dexter either but that concept sounds extremely interesting :up: :word:

ultimatefan said:
Part of the thing is, the serial killer is a bigger challenge if he´s intelligent. If your killer always seems to be one step ahead of the FBI agent, it makes the investigation harder and more interesting. Therefore, usually the FBI agent is also very intelligent.

Also realistically speaking, according to psychologists, it´s usual that psychopaths are very intelligent. They´re very manipulative people with no consideration for anyone else. They can´t relate to anyone on an emotional level, so they have to use their intellect to manipulate people in order to get what they want.
The hyper intelligent ones are always more memorable (to me) and despite being psychopaths come off looking worryingly good in some of these films. :csad: Being forced to sympathise with these types makes me uncomfortable (but it doesn't stop me). :csad::csad:

So which is more frightening, a sociopath or a psychopath?

I myself would say the former (which is why I prefer the Hobgoblin to the Green Goblin). With a psycho, you can always make the argument they are not really responsible for their actions, are not really 'evil'. With a sociopath, the fact they know full well what they are doing - and still do it - is chilling.

Kevin Roegele said:
So which is more frightening, a sociopath or a psychopath?

I myself would say the former (which is why I prefer the Hobgoblin to the Green Goblin). With a psycho, you can always make the argument they are not really responsible for their actions, are not really 'evil'. With a sociopath, the fact they know full well what they are doing - and still do it - is chilling.
Yeah, when people are aware of their actions it is a lot more worrying and points to problems with the society that created them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"