When/why did XBone become a derogatory nickname for Xbox One?

XtremelyBaneful

xoxxxoooxo
Reaction score
Ever since I saw the title reveal for Xbox 3 being Xbox One, I immediately thought in my head: Xbone for short, and not in a bad way. I thought X.B. One.

Just like how one day I saw in a magazine, a review having XB360 short for Xbox 360, I felt XBone was an appropriate shortening of the title, and if you say it like a word it just sounds like X-Bone, and I think that's fine.
xbonecover2.jpg

You seem to have asked a question and then...answered it? So, I'm not sure what the point of your thread actually is.

Where is the answer? I don't know why it is considered derogatory. To me, saying Xbone is like saying Ps4.

The answer is that it just comes together easy, as you broke down in your own post. Whether or not it's derogatory is up to whoever is using it, I guess. It can go either way.

Iv never had a problem with it, but I think at some point Major Nelson said he didnt care for it for some reason or another. Maybe thats when ppl felt it was "offensive" or something? I have no idea.

Im lazy, so I use X1 most of the time, haha.

The answer is that it just comes together easy, as you broke down in your own post. Whether or not it's derogatory is up to whoever is using it, I guess. It can go either way.
most of the time when I use the term xbone I'm labeled a sony fanboy.
Iv never had a problem with it, but I think at some point Major Nelson said he didnt care for it for some reason or another. Maybe thats when ppl felt it was "offensive" or something? I have no idea.

x1 isn't a suitable nickname for the xbox one. if you type x1 I'll think of like printers or phones or something, not an xbox

I thought it came from that game with the dog they showed off.

It's catchy and sounds silly, which I think is why it stuck. I laughed my ass of when I read that Microsoft purchased the domain name, even though they dislike the nickname.

I find the very name "Xbox One" to be stupid, personally. There was an Xbox one. It was the Xbox.

I thought it came from that game with the dog they showed off.

It's catchy and sounds silly, which I think is why it stuck. I laughed my ass of when I read that Microsoft purchased the domain name, even though they dislike the nickname.

I find the very name "Xbox One" to be stupid, personally. There was an Xbox one. It was the Xbox.

THIS. To the max. Apparently they named it so because they want it to be input 1 on your TV and stuff like that - still a horrible ****ing name.

What dog are you talking about? Ghosts?

THIS. To the max. Apparently they named it so because they want it to be input 1 on your TV and stuff like that - still a horrible ****ing name.

What dog are you talking about? Ghosts?

Yes, I believe so. Let me find the picture.

8C8963308-Xbone.jpg

From what I understand, the name "Xbone" predates the meme, but the meme helped spread it. That's where I picked it up.

for the record I think that meme is cute and I agree I think the name predates the meme. I thought of xbone in my head ever since I first read xbox one

From what iv heard the meme started during their reveal. Apparently there was a big Xbox One logo in the back ground and a picture came out of Phil Spencer standing in front of the 'ox' making it look like the logo read XB ONE. Which then ppl latched on to as XBONE. Then the memes changed to XBDONE and XBDOA etc

The Xbone nickname in the way I think Baneful is seeing it I think refers to the seeming cavalcade of 'bone' headed decisions made at the the machine's inception: the odd name, DRM/Always-online, weaker specs, higher price point and subsequent policy reversals and so-on.

Microsoft seems to have largely course corrected since then but it was a very public and painful process so it makes sense that the name's stuck.

Last edited:
If I'm typing, I use X1. If I'm talking to friends about it, I say Xbone.

And to me, it was one of the dumbest names for a 3rd system. It just makes it so confusing when you're talking about the original XBOX or Xbox one. So stupid.

Why is XBone considered derogatory?

Because BONE! :woot:

x1 isn't a suitable nickname for the xbox one. if you type x1 I'll think of like printers or phones or something, not an xbox

I use X1 all the time myself. When I write that on a videogame forum, no one is confusing it with printers or phones. Its obvious, Im referring to MS's latest console

I use X1 all the time myself. When I write that on a videogame forum, no one is confusing it with printers or phones. Its obvious, Im referring to MS's latest console

obviously on a video game forum everyone's gonna know what you're talking about but in a normal everyday sentence if you add x1 to it, someone may not know you're talking about the xbone.

obviously on a video game forum everyone's gonna know what you're talking about but in a normal everyday sentence if you add x1 to it, someone may not know you're talking about the xbone.
When I speak I say Xbox One. When I write, I type X1. Its a non issue.

When I speak I say Xbox One. When I write, I type X1. Its a non issue.

again, if you're typing it in a place not dedicated to games, not everyone may catch on. when i speak and type, i say xbone.

again, if you're typing it in a place not dedicated to games, not everyone may catch on. when i speak and type, i say xbone.

I don't discuss it in non-videogame forums so again its a non-issue

I don't discuss it in non-videogame forums so again its a non-issue

You made your point. Mine was that I could talk about video games to people who aren't big on it, I could say Ps4 and they know what I'm talking about but if I said x1 they might not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"