Why Collect Supheroes?

Thanks everyone! So it looks like there are a few different motivations for collecting figurines...

1. Nostalgia
2. Supporting the ideals of heroism and morality of the superhero
3. Profit

Another question for everybody: do the people who buy for nostalgia or "idealism" buy the figurines that they think best represent their nostalgia or ideal? Like do you buy the toy that best represents your childhood or do you buy the figurine that best represents the ideal you like the most?

Here's an example: I bought a Guy Fawkes mask because I believe it represented the ideal of refusing to let other think for you.

When I was younger I got all the Marvel, Star Wars and other action figures that I loved because they were awesome! Sadly my step-mom sold all my old toys. The toys I collect now really are more for nostalgia for myself and the clothes are because I love to show off my love of the characters. I don't care if any of my stuff ever goes up in value, I buy it for me to enjoy. It brings back that warm fuzzy feeling when I think about all the years I spent reading comics as a youngster and playing with my various toys

Well, it all started with getting Star Wars action figures as a kid. I loved them, and they became the prime item on Christmas and Birthday lists. As I grew older, and started reading comics, I began to request figures of the characters I read about, when applicable. As time went on, and I was able to activly look for figures myself, I was led to the Internet, to learn about and discuss upcoming items. Over the years, I made my own Star Wars Photonovel, upgraded scales, and now primarily collect 6-inch figures of my favorite characters from Marvel and DC.

I don't really know WHY I collect. It's just a hobby I developed as a kid that I carried with me as I grew up. I guess it's kind of difficult to explain.

I buy the figures if I have a particular connection to the character. It might be because I admire or identify with them or just really like their character.

For example I very much identify my teenage years with what Peter Parker went through and I have collected a couple of his Hot Toys figures.

I loved Christopher Reeve as Superman. Because he was so true to the character of both Clark and Superman, then I greatly admired him as a person, especially after his accident.

I will be buying Darth Vader from Hot Toys later this year. But I don't think I identify with him very much! :cwink:

Has anybody gotten any grief for collecting this stuff? I know my dad kind of scoffs at the whole "comics is art" thing.

Has anybody gotten any grief for collecting this stuff? I know my dad kind of scoffs at the whole "comics is art" thing.

My mom never cared about me collecting comic books. She often defended it. Comics got me to read regularly and channel my creative side.

My mom wanted me to stop with the action figures at whatever age one is supposed to "grow out" of them though. She was always pushing to get rid of what I had. I did give in sometimes. It's ironic because recently I got her into eBay and collecting nostalgic things. It didn't take long before she had a record collection again and even a couple boxed dolls she grew up playing with displayed!

When confronted about my nerdery by family throughout my teens I used to joke that everyone my age is "getting drunk and doing drugs. Meanwhile I'm buying Batman stuff. Which would you prefer?"

My friends throughout my life had similar interests so, if anything, it was great showing off my stuff.

My girlfriend thinks my collecting is "cute" and finds it hilarious how excited I get when I go to a Toys R Us. I got her into the comic con scene about 4 years ago and she has a ball there. She's a huge Harry Potter fan and was overwhelmed with the fandom and collectibles. She too has started collecting those Pop Vinyl figures.

Last edited:
I collect Superheroes, because as an evil supervillain living in my underground volcano lair, it's much easier to keep them imprisoned there and out of my diabolical plans to take over the universe.

I really dont talk about my collection. My friends are indifferent, my girlfriend encourages my collection and my dad keeps his opinion to himself. He did once sarcastically call them "magical cowboys." My brother is an extremely casual superhero fan.

no one knows i collect this stuff lol aside from maybe my huge movie collection. as the only girl here i believe to have weighed in, i have pretty much kept my collection a secret cuz of the stigma attached i supposed.

Well, I used to Collect EVERYTHING, these days just DVD/Blurays posters and Action Figures and Tee shirts
WHY? because to me, even at 54 I love what they represent. To ME superheroes are modern day Myths

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"