Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Why is SHIELD even being rebuilt?

As we saw in Cap 2, Hydra infiltrated more than just SHIELD as shown by Senator Stern, so why is ONLY SHIELD getting the blame?
That's my biggest issue with this.

Because it was Shield that built the hellicariers that were going to take over the world. They had too much power.

It's times like this where I wish we could just get ONE scene with Phil and Steve or Natasha, after the events of TWS, just to see on how Phil would talk with them when he finds out that taking down SHIELD was their idea.

TWS made it seem like SHIELD, was essentially Hydra in disguise....yet in the TV Series, we see that there was A LOT more honest SHIELD agents out there than the films show, thus making Steve's (and Widow's) actions somewhat morally ambiguous and makes a person ask, was taking down SHIELD as well really the smartest idea after all? Wouldn't it have been better to go with Fury's plan on trying to salvage SHIELD afterwards?

Cap's Scooby Gang believed that HYDRA lives only inside S.H.I.E.L.D. They thought that if they expose all of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secrets, the entire HYDRA would be known to the world, and the authorities could easily hunt down all HYDRA agents. They were wrong. Pierce and his men were only one of HYDRA's many tentacles.

I don't think Cap believes any such thing. He just believes that exposing HYDRA's infiltration of SHIELD forces them out into the open and breaks a major center of their power. This lets Cap and the Avengers go out and kick snake ass.

They built up the entire first season on the mystery behind Coulson's resurrection, more particularly to Coulson confronting Fury about it, only to never address it. All that buildup over how he came back only to get a quick in-a-nutshell explanation about how they brought him back because "[he's] the heart of SHIELD". Which is fine, but that still doesn't answer all the other questions that come with the mystery. We know why they brought him back, but don't know how. How did that blue alien get there? Do they even know it's an alien? How did they figure out they could cure people with its blood?

I'm not expecting all the answers or for Fury to even know what it is, but we should have at least gotten an explanation from Fury's point of view. "In 1961, our scientists spotted a meteor shower and something hit the Earth. We got there and found this blue creature, then discovered we could use its blood for x and y." Something like that would have been enough.

At the very least, Coulson should have confronted Fury about what that thing was. It felt very out of character for him for him to not do that when his whole character arc this season was "no more secrets" and has a protege injected with the same formula! So I totally don't buy he wouldn't have at least asked Fury, even if he didn't give him an answer.

It came off as Marvel saying "Well we don't want to address the Kree in any way yet so we'll just dumb down Coulson a bit for this scene", even though that's the one scene they've been building towards the most since the start. And from the way the dialogue is played in that scene, it feels like they took measures to trick viewers into not questioning it. "I brought you back because you were the heart of SHIELD, and now you will be the head." Notice the conversation shifts instantly from one topic to another. Before people can even make up their minds on the first, their brains have already proceeded to the idea of Coulson rebuilding SHIELD and Season 2. If there was more of a pause in between, I think more people would have questioned it.

By the time we got those Skrull symbols at the end, I just couldn't care anymore. I lost faith in their ability to construct a solid mystery story around Coulson's character. The Clairvoyant mystery was well done and tied into the MCU nicely, but they totally blew all the hype building towards Coulson confronting Fury. Which sucks since they totally sold me with the idea in the second half. Before release, I had mixed feelings on bringing Coulson back. Then in the first half, I wasn't sure if the show merited teasing the process of his resurrection so much. Then in the second half and up till the finale, I totally bought it due to how complex it became.
Coulson didn't get to ask all those questions to Fury because Fury, knowing him as well as he does, shut him right down, silenced him, by calling him an Avenger. Startlement will silence protests.

^ He also gave him the "toolbox" presumably all his answers were in there.

What frustrates me is the fact that Fury is off doing something, and we haven't seen him interact with Coulson since season 1. Yes they stated Fury got the Helicarrier from SHIELD in the show but there's a big disconnect. Also for having a Helicarrier stashed away some place SHEILD still feels to small on the show.

I'd like to see by Infinity War SHIELD be back out in the open instead of the ATCU which is basically a smaller SHIELD with fewer resources. The response to these threats is just to create new agencies to replace the corrupted SHIELD anyway so why not just find a way to bring it back?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"