Why is there still such a fuss over Idris Elba as Heimdall?

Yeah I understood what you were referring too.
I don't recall there ever being a fight between Heimdall and Thor or Odin, but it's been said time and again that Thor is the most powerful Asgardian with Mjolnir.
Heimdall's powers basically give him an advantage as he can see and hear everything, so that if trouble is coming he can raise an alarm. I'm sure he wouldn't attack Odin or any Asgardian without reason.
He'd forfeit his life preventing any unwanted attack.

Yeah, it was pretty weird, but then we Thor fans pretty much ignore the Hulk vs movie anyway. lol
On the other hand, actual Norse myth can be pretty odd in the first place. :D

Yeah I understood what you were referring too.
I don't recall there ever being a fight between Heimdall and Thor or Odin, but it's been said time and again that Thor is the most powerful Asgardian with Mjolnir.
Heimdall's powers basically give him an advantage as he can see and hear everything, so that if trouble is coming he can raise an alarm. I'm sure he wouldn't attack Odin or any Asgardian without reason.
He'd forfeit his life preventing any unwanted attack.

Ah, I was just curious after that Loki comment, so is Odin the only one more powerful than Thor or is Thor ahead of Odin as well?

Ah, will probably have to look further into the other 2 then as they seem interesting.

Sure Norse mythology is a cultural staple for Scandinavian people, but I don't see anyone of these people complaining about the inaccurate representations of zombies, which believe it or not, are religious in origin. Zombies come from the African/Haitian syncretic religion of Voudoun. However, most zombmie movies are about viral outbreaks rather than Voudoun priests. No one complains about how the Native American Wendigo is treated as if it were a werewolf like creature, which is an inaccurate representation of Native American cultural heritage. If it's good for the goose, it is good for the gander. Either no one changes any cultural history when reimagining/reinterpreting it or everyone is free to reinterpret it.

You need to educate yourself before you draw conclusions.

Zombies are in the myths of many cultures even in Chinese culture with Jiang Shi. Korea, Japan also have them. Zombies or undead deal with the paradox of the human spirit (one moment the body is full of life, next it's dead and that one last breath redefines what this mass of muscle and bones is...) and it's a common thematic element in basically ALL cultures, going back to the Egyptian and Babylonian.

As for werewolves and lunar creatures that also is a universal concept.

You need to learn that ignorance isn't the basis for an argument. Because you either choose to focus on a small element of a larger idea, or because you're geniunely ignorant, doesn't give credence to your position.

You're like someone who argues the bass line in Ice Ice Baby is the best ever because you've never heard of David Bowie. Because you only know about the context of voodoo for undead zombies doesn't mean there has NOT been a 5000 year tradition of them all over the world.

Simply put zombies and werewolves are not New World concepts. You sound ridiculous.

As for Heimdall being black it's distasteful because some people value the concept of artistic integrity.

Thor the character was specifically based on Viking Myths. If you're okay that the content of art or cinema is influenced by the fashions of the society politic (in this case the idea that casting a black character insures greater box office from "ignorant blacks" who can't relate to a movie without a black face in it... or are otherwise too stupid or ignorant to appreciate Viking myth without dumbing it down... all very racist Hollywood ideas), then it's fine that the dude is randomly black.

As for why it's a big deal.... well it speaks to the fact that as a society we really really notice black and white. Other racial things are more hidden and sublimated. For example why are so many of the actors in these Marvel movies Jewish (like the entire cast of Iron Man, Jane Foster and Kat in Thor etc) when the characters are not? Who cares? 75 years ago it would have been a huge deal given the political climate then.

So basically the answer to your question about "the fuss" boils down to 2 reasons

1) because it's stupid that Idris Elba is Heimdall. and some people dislike stupid things

2) because white people really really notice black people in anything, and that's the way things are (the way ppl are wired evolutionarily etc)

Absolutely incorrect. The Zombie (an anglicized version of the Vodun deity, "Zombi") is a very specific folklore creature that is reanimated by black magic. If referring to a zombie, it is always a matter of reanimation and control through black magic. Other forms of reanimated corpses (such as the vampire) are not always a matter of black magic. The Jiang Shi has more in common with the Arabian Ghoul than it does with the African Zombie. Don't go mixing world folklore regarding the undead. Not all cultural outlooks on undead humans are the same. The Zombie is distinct from the Jiang Shi, is distinct from the Ghoul. There are similarities here or there, but the Western world seems to focus on the zombie when it comes to folklore regarding the undead.

You put Hela and Karnilla ahead of Thor?

I think so. Hela became The Devil. Since taking over her realm she has become far more than what she was when she was born. I believe the very Office itself gives her more power than Thor. Just like King Thor could kick Thor's butt. It's only through his great heroics that Thor has triumphed in the past.

Karnilla seems more powerful to me than Thor because of her variety of powers. And the Norn Stones help too.

:thor: :thor: :thor:

Even then I still call shenanigans. Laufey is not blue or male in Norse myth. In fact, Laufey is female and spindly. Loki certainly isn't blue, and the only Icelandic (one of the modern Scandinavian people). There is too much cherry-picking about what makes people upset. If you have been to the boycott thor website, you will notice that they are upset with how this movie compares to the actual Norse myth and not the Marvel comic character. And even if we are strictly talking comics, we shouldn't even have a bearded Thor unless we are dealing with Thunder Strike rather than Thor Odinson.

What's the URL for that website? Sounds like a fun read.

Absolutely incorrect. The Zombie (an anglicized version of the Vodun deity, "Zombi") is a very specific folklore creature that is reanimated by black magic. If referring to a zombie, it is always a matter of reanimation and control through black magic. Other forms of reanimated corpses (such as the vampire) are not always a matter of black magic. The Jiang Shi has more in common with the Arabian Ghoul than it does with the African Zombie. Don't go mixing world folklore regarding the undead. Not all cultural outlooks on undead humans are the same. The Zombie is distinct from the Jiang Shi, is distinct from the Ghoul. There are similarities here or there, but the Western world seems to focus on the zombie when it comes to folklore regarding the undead.

Did you know that the earliest piece of fiction that refers to the creature we all know as a zombie as such was actually a comic penned by Stan Lee?

1) because it's stupid that Idris Elba is Heimdall. and some people dislike stupid things

But it's not stupid because Elba was fantastic in the role. I hate to get involved in this debate but considering Heimdall guards Bifrost and was likely never seen by the Norse folk who based their religion on witnessing the Asgardian-Jotunheim war and the odd sojourn by the adventurous Thor and friends, then who's to say he was white?

This just makes people who can't accept Elba's role, close minded.

People are too stuck on being faithful to the original source material. These folks need to just lighten up and get over it. It's the 21st century and a lot in entertainment is meant to be changed up a bit.

I personally think he did a great job. Wish he had a bit more screentime, but maybe in the sequel perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"